[Mod Request] "Blood Bowl"-style fom of teamsport in RimWorld

Started by Phor, November 07, 2017, 09:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phor

Hello!

Last time I caught myself trying to organize a boxing tournament between my pawns. And finally, in A18, I was able to do that. It... gave me some more ideas, which I can't do myself. I'll post these anyway - maybe a more skilled modmaker will see a potential in them and turn them into reality?

You heard about Blood Bowl? Originally a board game made by Games Workshop, is a mix between American Football and Warhammer's fantasy setting. Rules are simple - in specified amount of time team has to move the ball into a touchdown zone. Damaging/injuring/killing the players of the opposite team is optional, with the only rule of not kicking the downed player (if referee is looking, of course) :P

The concept is possible to play right now in RimWorld - it requires a HUGE amount of pauses to maintain it correctly though.

The question is - would be someone interested in trying to turn the concept into the real RimWorld mod? I'll describe the whole idea to that person a bit later (writing the whole idea on paper will take time...)

EDIT: I explained some part of an idea:
1. BASIC RULES AND THOUGHTS:

Teams (max 7 people from team on a field and 11 people from a team in a whole match) are trying to put an item (Ball) into their opponent's Touchdown zone. Damage to the opponent team is optional, but some teams may base entirely on it. You know that your opponent won't score a touchdown when there is no one standing from their team on a field... :)

Match must have limited time, divided into "turns". If at start of a turn, a team has no one available to play, their opponents get a free touchdown.

To make the mechanics easy to make, I think some initial things would be needed to be created:
- Field zone
A configurable field. Required configuration of a field is it's "position" (north/south or east/west). Field should have uneven lenght. Last line of the field is the touchdown zone for the specified team. During the match, a playing pawn can't leave the field on its own. It may be (well... it should be to avoid even more injuries!) taken from the field if downed/injured/dead though.
- Dugout zone
A zone specified for a team in match (each team has one, so the field has 2 dugouts). Used to keep reserves and injuries during the match. Size configurable.
- Ball item
An item which can be held by pawn. If that pawn is damaged by ANYTHING, the item is dropped. It's also dropped when holding pawn is standing on the opposite team touchdown zone - if that happens, the team gets 1 point.

Optionally, there may be a result table with specified field, to show the current results to the whole.

2. PLAYABLE OPPONENTS
Having the configured field and ball will allow player to have a "hot-seat" match between him and his friend on the same computer. Next step would be preparing an option for CPU teams to shine.

Those teams can be either sitting in their towns/settlements or wandering/caravaning on the planets. Any group of 7+ pawns is eligible to play (CPU teams should care about the number of pawns, so...) - the rest of the pawns (if there are some incapable to play due to bing pacifists or there is more than 11 pawns) can be the fans, medics and any other function a team may need.

In case of the play, before match each team decides, who is going to play and showing their 1-9 players. Those pawns are registered by the field as players of specified teams (depending of the side of field, which they are on). Only those players may take part in the match - if any team gets an injury or a casuality, they can't add another pawn to the currently playing match.

During the match, playing pawns may have one of the specified "tactics":
- go to the ball
- go to the touchdown zone
- go for the opponents (the closest/weakest/strongest/etc.)
- secure the ballkeeper (go for anyone targetting the ballkeeper)
The pawns may change their tactics accordingly. For example, if they see they have ball, they may focus on making a "cage" around the ballkeeper and that way secure him to the score.

Match itself may give thoughts about it, lasting for a specified amount of time. Those thoughts can be both positive (Team won the match,
Pawn scored etc) and negative (Team lost a point, Pawn got injured, Opponent killed a teammate etc). If you are playing a match against a team who brought with themselves a huge "Fanbase", you may expect them rioting and destroying the surroundings if your team will win too much. If you overkill during the match, better be safe after it. :P

Feel free to ask questions, which may expand the idea further. I will stop describing on the "Playable opponents" phase here, cause next phase would include making the whole leagues. And it isn't possible to go there without the first phased already done.