Weather patterns

Started by Oblivion, November 06, 2017, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

I don't know if this is to much to ask, but I want to be able to predict the future weather in Rimworld, as I think it could be useful to colonies without changing any core game ideas.
Some kind of device that could tell the forecast, or show on the world map where current storms are and wind directions, like a version of the comms console where a pawn would man it and then it would show information on a GUI. If you can think of another way to implement it, I'll appreciate suggestions.

As for why I would want to predict the weather, I can give numerous scenarios -
Prepare for a dry thunderstorm by putting down firefoam poppers
Know not to raid that outpost at that time as it will be foggy and you won't be able to hit anything
Know you can hunt those boomalopes in a couple of days when it rains
Know you don't have to extinguish that fire as it will rain tomorrow
Know you shouldn't use the orbital laser beam on the outpost as it will cause less destruction in the rain as the rain will put out the created fires
Know to set up a clear snow zone as it will snow in 2 days
Know that travelling would be slow in snow that will come in 4 days and so not to send you colonists half way across the map hunting and so to prepare food early maybe
If you could implement this with the tornado event that would be even more interesting and cool - preparing for a tornado to sweep across you colony. You could even time it with raids on outposts etc to get the most possible destruction >=)

I just think it will be handy to be able to predict the weather in Rimworld, and I haven't seen any mod so far that has done this. It doesn't have to be as complicated as I have said above. This could possible come with an update with more types of weather

Thanks for reading, I accept if you don't like my idea or don't think it should be implemented, and I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this and I'm stealing the idea, and I'll hope for some positive replies  =)

OmG_PotatoeZ

I like it! It would also be nice for if/when they add hurricanes to coastal maps... *Cough cough* add hurricanes..

{insert_name_here}

Yes. This would be a great mechanic.

Just a suggestion of my own - perhaps it would be possible to upgrade the forecast device to see a raid coming? You only have a low percentage of it happening and the raid can be anything from a tribal assault to a siege to a manhunter pack, but you would at least get an idea that something is coming.

Headshotkill

Researching a machine to acces an ancient weather-sattelite network orbitting the planet to predict the weather across the planet.