[A18] Bed research

Started by freemapa, November 06, 2017, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freemapa

During a Lost tribe start in A18, I like that I have to research beds, but why then can I build end tables and dressers? I ended up with rooms full of end tables, dressers and bed rolls... which seems a bit weird.

I think all the bedroom furniture research should be bundled together on the research tree.

Sbilko

I can see Tynan's logic here: he didn't include normal beds as default starting stuff of the tribals, since on Earth there are jungle tribes who sleep on a thing which is tied between 2 trees (for the snakes to be unable to reach them. And also, it was usual for farmers in the past to sleep on the floor. So yeah, I can see his point of how tribes have to actually research beds.

Aerial

It would make more sense if tribals had to research "furniture" which would include beds, dressers, tables, chairs, end tables, etc.  And tribals shouldn't get the "ate without table" debuff, ever :-) 

Boston

Quote from: Aerial on November 08, 2017, 03:15:10 PM
It would make more sense if tribals had to research "furniture" which would include beds, dressers, tables, chairs, end tables, etc.  And tribals shouldn't get the "ate without table" debuff, ever :-)

Why?

Contrary to what you may believe, furniture, beds, 'complex' clothing, all of that has existed for 10,000+ years.

It is, to be blunt, stupid that people, including the developer, think anyone born before the equivalent of the 1800s was a mouth-breathing idiot.

You know what? Fine. Tribals 'don't know how" to build a modern bedstand. Ok.

.... give them a primitive equivalent. A bedroll, made of blankets and furs.

freemapa

Quote from: Boston on November 08, 2017, 04:54:41 PM

Do you know how to build a modern bedstand? Or would you need to do some research first?

I think you're missing the point (or maybe just trolling). Bedside tables and dressers are new in [A18]. As is the new bed research. I'm not commenting about whether it is realistic or not that tribal people can't make beds. I'm just pointing out that it seems weird to assume that absolutely anyone can build a dresser, but making a bed, well that requires research for some reason. I mean in my latest tribal start, I have a village with about 8 wooden sleeping cabins. Each one has wood floors, wood walls, a roof, good quality or higher dressers, good quality or higher side tables, a torch, and a potted plant. With all this, it just seems weird that they are sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sleeping bags, but I think that the placement of the dressers and bedside tables in the research tree would be best suited at the same place as the bed research.

RazorHed

What I think they should need to research are increasingly better forms of tools. Primitive tools being stone or wooden axes , hammers , and weapons, able to build primitive level walls , doors, and furniture , but would have a global penalty to building, chopping, farming , damage.  As you increase tool research levels the penalty decreases and new build options open .  Other offshoot researches could be power tools to give a bonus to chopping , building ,etc.. and precision tools to allow electronics and medicines .

Boston

Quote from: freemapa on November 08, 2017, 05:24:03 PM
Quote from: Boston on November 08, 2017, 04:54:41 PM

Do you know how to build a modern bedstand? Or would you need to do some research first?

I think you're missing the point (or maybe just trolling). Bedside tables and dressers are new in [A18]. As is the new bed research. I'm not commenting about whether it is realistic or not that tribal people can't make beds. I'm just pointing out that it seems weird to assume that absolutely anyone can build a dresser, but making a bed, well that requires research for some reason. I mean in my latest tribal start, I have a village with about 8 wooden sleeping cabins. Each one has wood floors, wood walls, a roof, good quality or higher dressers, good quality or higher side tables, a torch, and a potted plant. With all this, it just seems weird that they are sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sleeping bags, but I think that the placement of the dressers and bedside tables in the research tree would be best suited at the same place as the bed research.

Yes, I know how to build a modern bedstand. The concept of a raised bed isn't rocket science.

And I never said anything about sleeping bags. A bedroll, made of a sleeping pad, some blankets, furs, so on and so forth, is what most people in the world slept on, from prehistory up until about 200 years ago.

Shelves, chairs, all sorts of furniture has been known about since prehistory. Take a look at Skara Brae, or Catalhoyuk, both Neolithic villages. None of the furnishings in there are in any way unrecognizable from what someone in the modern day would use, asides from being made of wood, reed, wicker and stone instead of modern plastics and fiberboard.

Limdood

I can agree with boston that furniture is certainly pre-"raised mattress in a frame."

Additionally, the features are just being added...beds have been in Rimworld for...ever?  They are JUST NOW getting research added to gate them. 

The implications seem to be leading towards "EVERY possible item may eventually be gated behind research."  We may eventually have cloth walls (like tents) and wood walls will need to be researched...If that happens, it's still possible that something like a hardened mud floor won't be in the game yet, so you'd have the weird juxtaposition of cloth walls and wood floors. 

Crow_T

I agree with OP, furniture gets bundled in with beds. Call the node Simple Furniture or Woodworking.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Barley

Quote from: Sbilko on November 08, 2017, 07:09:30 AM
I can see Tynan's logic here: he didn't include normal beds as default starting stuff of the tribals, since on Earth there are jungle tribes who sleep on a thing which is tied between 2 trees (for the snakes to be unable to reach them)
A Hammock could be a cool sidegrade to the bedroll, with the latter better suited to living in hotter climates while the former excels in the cold.

Sbilko

Yeah, but on Earth they serve to protect from snakes and bugs. However, on Rimworld snakes aren't dangerous to colonists, nor do (cave) bugs ramble randomly around the colony. :(

What I meant to say is that the actual modern bed had to be researched, and that before sleeping on such a bed people used to sleep on Hammocks and on the floor.

Barley

Quote from: Sbilko on November 09, 2017, 08:01:22 AM
What I meant to say is that the actual modern bed had to be researched, and that before sleeping on such a bed people used to sleep on Hammocks and on the floor.

If Wikipedia isn't bullshitting me, Hammocks are an American invention, and was only adopted by the Europeans after the discovery of America. How the hell nobody thought of sleeping in a sling before then in Eurasia is beyond me.

grrizo

Quote from: Barley on November 10, 2017, 12:16:14 AM
Quote from: Sbilko on November 09, 2017, 08:01:22 AM

If Wikipedia isn't bullshitting me, Hammocks are an American invention, and was only adopted by the Europeans after the discovery of America. How the hell nobody thought of sleeping in a sling before then in Eurasia is beyond me.
Probably the discussion would be finished if tribals could have the same furniture but with graphical variations. For example, hammock-styled beds or chest-styled dressers.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Boston

Hammocks are only really 'good' on climates where one wants to be cool: equatorial\tropical rainforests, the like.

In anyvpther environment, a bedroll and blankets were used. This often includes deserts, where it often gets quite cold at night.

As always, modded rimworld is almost infinitely better than vanilla, and there is a rather impressive Tribal mod that includes, among other things, blanket-beds.