[B18] Rainbeau's Mods -- Lots of Stuff! Take a Look!

Started by dburgdorf, November 06, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

These are my mods for RimWorld b18.

The list:

Archipelagos - 12/05/17 - Adds archipelago (island chain) biomes to the world map, so you can now play RimWorld on islands.

Basic Bridges - 01/07/18 - Allows you to build bridges. Obviously.

Concrete - 01/20/18 - Adds concrete to the game. Changes a few existing items to require concrete instead of steel, as well as adding concrete walls and reinforced concrete "bunker" walls and embrasures. Originally designed as an add-on to "Fertile Fields," it can now be used independently.

Configurable Maps - 01/21/18 - Allows you to adjust the number of old walls and buildings, the amount of ore, the number of geysers, the "biodensity" of plant and animal life, the size and quantity of lakes and marshes which will appear on new maps, and many other aspects of map generation.

Consolidated Traits - 12/04/17 - Adds a lot of traits to the game. (This is my "cleaned up" compilation of traits I like from various other mods, as well as a few original ones.)

Editable Backstories - 01/07/18 - Replaces the vanilla backstory database with a completely customizable database of backstories stored in XML files. Also allows you to add new names to the game's name database.

Editable Pawn Titles - 01/14/18 - A simple but useful mod that allows you to edit pawns' titles as well as their nicknames. This allows you to give your colonists titles that reflect their current jobs instead of their backstories.

Faction Control - 12/31/17 - Provides you with complete control over which and how many factions and faction bases show up on your map. Also allows you to group faction bases geographically, with different factions' bases located in different parts of the world, to simulate the existence of actual nations.

Fertile Fields - 01/20/18 - Fertilize and plow your farmland, and eventually reshape your landscape! (Despite the name, it's actually less a "farming" mod and more a "terraforming" mod.) NOW A YEAR OLD!

Fishing - 01/09/18 - An add-on for "Basic Bridges" which lets your pawns fish from bridges, catch shellfish in traps, and cook various seafood dishes.

More Trait Slots - 12/04/17 - Lets your pawns start with more traits, and makes sure you can actually see them all on the character tab!

Pawns Are Capable! - 12/04/17 - An offshoot of a mod I originally created in collaboration with RimRue, which replaces pawn "incapabilities" with mood debuffs and/or other penalties when pawns are required to do types of work they hate.

Rainbeau Flambe - Storyteller - 12/04/17 - Adds, obviously, a storyteller.

Rascally Rabbits - 12/04/17 - Adds rabbits (both gentle and deadly), carrots, rabbit stew, and a few "rabbit themed" events. Also adds ducks and coyotes.

Scenarios - 12/31/17 - Adds a few scenarios and some related incidents. Make your crashlanding a bit more realistic, deal as a tribal group with the aftermath of an exploding moon, or just start with less research handed to you.

Smooth Stone Walls - 01/01/18 - Allows you to smooth and even decorate natural stone walls.

Tribal Essentials - 12/12/17 - An unofficial update of RimRue's a17 mod, which adds new tribal items for those players who want to play a tribal scenario and who don't want to rush into research. It includes joy items, production spots for butchering, brewing, art, tailoring, stonecutting and researching, a smokepit, a stone oven, psychoid tea, cooked eggs, popcorn, and art, apparel, walls and flooring.

Tribal Raiders - 12/31/17 - Another unofficial update of an a17 mod by RimRue. This one adds a new "tribal raider" faction. Like pirates, tribal raiders raid you just because they can, and cannot be appeased with silver or by releasing prisoners.

We're All Mad, Here! - 01/07/18 - In time, most everyone on the Rim becomes a psychopath....

Wild Cultivation - 12/23/17 - Allows you to find wild versions of cultivated plants and to cultivate a few plants formerly found only in the wild.

If you'd like to just grab all of my b18 mods from Dropbox, you can find all of them here.

Alternately, you can keep track of my updates with ModSync.Ninja.

If you're a modpack maker and want to include any of these mods in your pack, or if you're a modder and want to use them as the basis of derivative mods, please feel free to do so. I ask only that you let me know about it.

If you have any (helpful) suggestions for improvement, please let me know!

(For my a17 mods, check this thread.)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 01/07/2018

"Basic Bridges," as the name so subtly suggests, allows you to build bridges. (Well, technically, you could also create piers or even a boardwalk. It's really up to you.) No special research is required. All you need is wood, stone or metal. And a bit of steel for reinforcement if you're building over deep water.

All bridges support light construction, so you can, for example, use a bridge to run a power conduit across a river. Additionally, heavy bridges (those built from stone or metal instead of from wood, which require research) will support heavy construction, so you can actually place walls on them.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Basic Bridges" can safely be added to a game in progress, but if you try to remove it from a game in which you've actually built any bridges, you will of course make the map unplayable.

The mod is compatible with "Nature's Pretty Sweet," though to be sure everything works correctly, you'll want to make sure that NPS is *above* "Basic Bridges" in your mod list.

If you want to be able to catch fish from your bridges, you'll need to utilize an additional mod to add that capability. Obviously, I'd suggest my own "Fishing," which is specifically designed as an add-on for this mod.

"Basic Bridges" shouldn't conflict with any other mods.

Credits:

The code in "Basic Bridges" borrows a bit from Sulusdacor's "[sd] Bridges" mod. And obviously, the mods are very similar on a conceptual level. I just decided that I wanted a simpler bridges mod, that would be fully compatible with my "Fertile Fields" mod.

The traditional Chinese language files were provided by Steam user Alane. The simplified Chinese language translation files were provided by Steam user kghostSATORI. The Japanese language files were provided by Proxyer.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 01/09/2018

This is an "add-on" to my "Basic Bridges" mod, which gives pawns the ability to catch and cook fish.

It's possible to create "fishing spots" on bridges or piers where pawns can catch fish. It's also possible to build "shellfish traps" that might net you shellfish, shrimp, snails or small fish. And your pawns can now prepare sushi and various other seafood dishes.

(Is it ironic that this mod was created by someone who finds fishing to be mind-numbingly dull, and who hates seafood in any form? I think it's a bit ironic.)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

How Fishing Works:

Fishing is a custom job type, which relies on the "Animals" skill. Pawns with higher skill will fish faster, and have a higher chance of successfully catching something. (Additionally, fishing serves as a joy activity for pawns with a passion for the Animals skill.) Fishing spots can become depleted if overfished, and so will occasionally need to be allowed to "recharge."

Fish and eels can be caught at any fishing spot, though the type of fish available varies with the biome, and eels are more common in marshes than in water tiles. Squid can only be caught in ocean tiles.

Shellfish traps will periodically catch shellfish or tiny fish automatically, without any pawn interaction. They will sometimes take a bit of damage in doing so, though, and will thus occasionally need to be repaired.

Fish and shellfish can be cleaned (butchered) for meat, while squid and eels can be butchered for both meat and leather.

Compatibility:

This mod will not work unless you also have "Basic Bridges" in your mod list.

Unfortunately, as it adds a new work type to the game, "Fishing" cannot be added to a game in progress. (If you try to add it, you'll screw up your work tab.) Similarly, if you remove it from a game, you will very likely make the map unplayable.

This mod shouldn't conflict with any other mods.

Credits:

Most of the fish graphics were provided to me by Steam user Draegon.

The ability to fish from bridges draws both conceptually and specifically from Rikiki's "FishIndustry" mod, though what I've done here is less elaborate than, and over time has diverged rather significantly from, what's he's done in that mod.

The traditional Chinese language files were provided by Steam user Alane. The simplified Chinese language translation files were provided by Steam user kghostSATORI. The Japanese language files were provided by Proxyer.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Updates to "Basic Bridges" in its first a18 release:

- Stone bridges are now called heavy bridges, and can be built from either stone or metal.

Updates to "Fishing" in its first a18 release:

- Fishing is now a unique work type, rather than a handling job. It still uses the Animals skill, though.

- The chance of catching fish (either by fishing or with traps) has been reduced, especially in harsher biomes, to try to make the mod a bit less overpowered.

- It is no longer possible to gaze at water as a joy activity from fishing spots, since "watergazing spots" are available in "Basic Bridges," anyway. So your fishers should no longer find themselves kept from work by lazy folk idly standing in their fishing spots.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

mvargus

Bridges and fishing already updated for A18, excellent!!!!  Thanks,

kaptain_kavern

Canute

*bow before dburgdorf*
You are the FIRST modder who made a new forum topic for new alpha release of his mod.
I hope other forum modder follow your sign.

dburgdorf

Last update: 12/05/2017

Have you ever wanted to play RimWorld on an island map? Of course you have! And now you can!

"Archipelagos" adds exactly what its name implies. You'll now find island chains dotting the coastlines of your world maps. More specifically, the mod adds a variety of new biomes to the game, each of them an island-based variant of the corresponding vanilla biome.

If you play on an archipelago map that happens to be adjacent to the mainland, you'll be able to send caravans to settlements on the mainland without difficulty. If you play on an archipelago map that doesn't connect directly to the mainland, you'll find trading a bit more difficult, but no more so than if you were playing on a vanilla "island" tile.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

Adding "Archipelagos" to a saved game shouldn't cause any trouble, but removing it from a game in progress could potentially create problems, even if you're not actually playing on an island map.

"Archipelagos" should be compatible with any other mods, though you might notice small oddities if another mod also alters map generation. "Archipelagos" is compatible with my "Configurable Maps" mod.

If you use any mods that add animals or wild plants, those animals or plants will have the same chance of appearing on archipelago maps that they have of appearing on corresponding vanilla biome maps. (For example, if you use a mod that adds penguins to tundra maps, you may also see penguins on tundra archipelago maps.)

If you're going to build a base on an island chain, you should probably make sure you can build bridges and catch fish. I, of course, would recommend my own "Basic Bridges" and "Fishing" mods to fill those needs, but there are obviously other options available, as well, any of which should work just fine with this mod.

Credits:

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

The simplified Chinese language translation files were provided by Steam user kghostSATORI.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 01/21/2018

"Configurable Maps" provides you with a number of configuration options that you can use to tailor the way your maps generate. Simply visit "Mod Settings" from the game's "Options" menu. You'll find three different sets of options for the mod.

(1) "Things" Settings:

You can alter the number of ruins and "ancient shrines" that generate on new maps. You can set them low, so you'll no longer find yourself starting the game in an area that looks like it might once have been someone's town square. Or you can set them high, so it seems as if you've landed in what was once a bustling city.

(Regardless of the settings, the mod ensures that buildings will be significantly more common among ruins than unattached wall segments, and that those buildings will be shaped more like rooms than like hallways.)

You can decide whether you want ruins to be constructed solely or primarily from stone types actually available on the map, or if you want them to be constructed from random materials (as in vanilla).

You can adjust the "biodensity" on new maps, to determine how thickly populated with plant and animal life the maps should be. These settings are, of course, relative to the base values for a given biome. Even a "sparse" tropical rainforest will have a much higher biodensity than a "dense" extreme desert or ice sheet.

(2) Terrain Settings:

You can adjust the amount of ore which generates on new maps, to make the game more or less challenging. You can additionally choose to disable "fake" ores, so that compacted steel, plasteel and machinery will not appear on your maps. You can also adjust the number of geysers, so that sources of geothermal power are easier or harder to find. And you can adjust the quantity of stone chunks scattered on new maps.

You can adjust the maps' "mountain level," perhaps so that flat maps have almost no rock outcroppings, or perhaps so that mountain maps have little open space.

You can adjust the maps' "water level," which will make lakes, marshes, and the like either more or less common. Note that this will not change the essential nature of a biome. Lowering the water level will reduce the size of marsh areas on boreal forest or rainforest maps, for example, but it won't eliminate them completely, and neither will raising the water level allow marshes to suddenly begin appearing on temperate forest maps.

You can also adjust the "fertility" of soil on maps, to adjust the relative amount of rich soil as opposed to regular soil.

Finally, you can adjust the ocean level on coastal maps. This allows you to control the amount of water which will appear on maps with coasts. At the one extreme, you'll have vanilla-style maps with just a small strip of ocean and a fairly small sandy beach on one edge. At the other extreme, you can now create maps that are almost completely submerged.

An additional checkbox allows you the option to disallow rocky outcrop "islands" from appearing in lakes, marshes or oceans.

(3) World Map Settings:

You can adjust the minimum and maximum number of stone types which can appear in a tile on the world map. You can also adjust the relative commonality of various types of stone, so for example, you could set your worlds to generate with lots of granite but very little sandstone.

(Note that these settings won't appear if you're also using "Cupro's Stones," as that mod offers more robust options regarding exactly how many and which types of stone you want to see on the world map.)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

Since "Configurable Maps" does nothing but alter initial map generation, adding it to or removing it from a game in progress will have no impact. It should be compatible with any other mods, except perhaps those that also modify terrain and map generation.

Credits:

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

The German language translation file was provided by Ludeon forums user Maculator. The Japanese language file was provided by Proxyer. Russian translation files were provided by Steam user "Чей-то друг."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

"Archipelagos" and "Configurable Maps" are now available for a18, and "Fishing" has been subjected to a (very minor) update.

"Archipelagos":

- Added swampy archipelagos to match new vanilla swampy biomes.

- Updated the "FishIndustry" patches.

"Configurable Maps":

- Fixed animal and plant density settings so they actually apply to archipelago maps as well as to vanilla biome maps.

(I haven't yet added any ability to configure caves. I do plan to do so, but need to take some time to figure out how cave generation currently works before trying to modify it.)

"Fishing":

- Made a few minor adjustments to the "harsh biome" penalties to make them consistent with biome animal densities and to ensure all archipelago types are handled properly.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Nightinggale

Quote from: dburgdorf on November 07, 2017, 07:38:57 PM(I haven't yet added any ability to configure caves. I do plan to do so, but need to take some time to figure out how cave generation currently works before trying to modify it.)
It's a new feature and as any new feature it is expected to take time to implement. It will likely make sense to postpone it until all the mods have been updated to A18, or at least those, which doesn't require major rework. While I wouldn't mind being able to configure caves, I consider it a minor inconvenience compared to missing some of the mods I use (used) in A17.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

justhaze

thx alot for those a18 updates... great features...
good life!

mvargus

For some reason I can't get the basic bridges mod to work in A18.  I keep getting a set of errors as it resets all my mods.

RimWorld 0.18.1717 rev1081
Verse.Log:Message(String)
RimWorld.VersionControl:LogVersionNumber()
Verse.Root:CheckGlobalInit()
Verse.Root:Start()
Verse.Root_Entry:Start()

Attempt to use string targetversion to refer to field targetVersion in type Verse.ModMetaData+ModMetaDataInternal; xml tags are now case-sensitive. XML: <ModMetaData><name>WM Smarter food selection</name><author>Wishmaster</author><targetversion>0.17.1546</targetversion><description>
&lt;size=18&gt;&lt;color=orange&gt;&lt;b&gt;Requires HugsLib.&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/color&gt;&lt;/size&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Allows you to restrict the foods of your pawns (prisoners, animals, ascetic, cannibal).&lt;/b&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Assign and customize your food policies.&lt;/b&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Better food selection algorithm.&lt;/b&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Upgraded and smarter nutrient paste dispenser. &lt;/b&gt;

Will pick ingredients in this order: raw bad &gt; raw tasty &gt; insect meat &gt; human meat.
The NPD will prioritize human meat for cannibals, and human meat then insect meat for animals.

&lt;b&gt;More... &lt;/b&gt;

More information on the web link.

Version 2.1.1

&lt;size=18&gt;&lt;color=orange&gt;&lt;b&gt;Credits&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/color&gt; &lt;/size&gt;

* UnlimitedHugs for HugsLib and for assistance.
  </description><url>https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30708.0</url></ModMetaData>
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:GetFieldInfoForType(Type, String, XmlNode)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ObjectFromXml(XmlNode, Boolean)
Verse.DirectXmlLoader:ItemFromXmlFile(String, Boolean)
Verse.ModMetaData:Init()
Verse.ModMetaData:.ctor(WorkshopItem)
Verse.ModLister:RebuildModList()
Verse.Steam.WorkshopItems:RebuildItemsList()
Verse.Steam.WorkshopItems:.cctor()
Verse.ModLister:.cctor()
Verse.<>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
Verse.<>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
System.Collections.Generic.List`1:AddEnumerable(IEnumerable`1)
System.Collections.Generic.List`1:.ctor(IEnumerable`1)
System.Linq.Enumerable:ToList(IEnumerable`1)
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

Caught exception while loading play data but there are active mods other than Core. Resetting mods config and trying again.
The exception was: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Verse.LoadableXmlAsset].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ModContentPack.LoadPatches () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ModContentPack.get_Patches () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LoadedModManager.<LoadAllActiveMods>m__0 (Verse.ModContentPack rm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[Verse.ModContentPack,Verse.PatchOperation].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ModContentPack.LoadDefs (IEnumerable`1 patches) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LoadedModManager.LoadAllActiveMods () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.PlayDataLoader.DoPlayLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.PlayDataLoader.LoadAllPlayData (Boolean recovering) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Warning(String)

Successfully recovered from errors and loaded play data.
Verse.Log:Message(String)

dburgdorf

Quote from: mvargus on November 10, 2017, 06:45:32 PMFor some reason I can't get the basic bridges mod to work in A18.

As has been noted elsewhere, the last a18 build introduced a new XML patch-related bug, which has stopped a number of mods from working. The devs have reported that a fix is already done, and will be in the next build, which will hopefully be pushed out tonight or early tomorrow.

(On a side note, try to avoid posting long error messages as walls of text on the forum. Upload them elsewhere and link to them, or use a spoiler tag or a code tag, so everyone else reading the threads doesn't have to scroll quite so much.)  :D

EDIT (11/11): A new game build was pushed out last night, fixing the patch bug. So mods that use patches (like "Bridges" and "Archipelagos") are no longer crashing the game. :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 01/01/2018

"Smooth Stone Walls" allows you to smooth natural stone walls, just as you can smooth natural stone floors, thanks to a new option in the "Structure" tab of the architect menu. This allows you to have real walls in the rooms in your mountain hideaway, without needing to mine out rock and then immediately replace it with a wall built from scratch. Smoothing a section of stone wall takes four times as long as smoothing a section of floor, as there's more work involved. (And because it seems about right for balance purposes.) Smoothed stone walls are slightly more durable than stone walls constructed of blocks. When deconstructed, smooth stone walls don't yield blocks, but instead have a chance to drop stone chunks, just as if you'd mined them.

Smoothed stone walls are, as you'd expect, smooth. They don't have the graphic patterning that constructed (block) walls have. The two wall types blend into each other quite nicely, but still, some players prefer to have all their walls look exactly the same. If you're one of them, you can have your crafty pawns "etch" the smoothed stone walls, to give them a pattern that matches the brick pattern in constructed walls. Alternatively, you can have a pawn with artistic skill do decorative etching, in which case at least some of your wall tiles, in addition to a brick pattern, will end up randomly decorated with pictures.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Wall Graphics and Embrasures:

The mod makes minor alterations to the default wall graphics, in order to allow walls and rock of the same stone type to blend into each other seamlessly.

"Smooth Stone Walls" does not add embrasures, but it does include textures for embrasures that are designed to match the revised base wall textures. These textures will automatically replace the textures provided by most mods that add embrasures. If you prefer to use the default embrasure texture of the other mod, simply remove the "EmbrasurePatches.xml" file from this mod's "Patches" folder.

The embrasure texture patching has been confirmed to work with "Cocoa's Embrasures" by LazyCocoa, "ED-Embrasures" by Jaxxa, "Embrasures" by Brunayla, "Matching Embrasures" by Cucumpear and "Rimworld: Medieval Edition" by Bonehead14. It also works with "Medieval Times" by Vindar, though it should be noted that since the ice walls in that mod still utilize the vanilla wall texture, ice embrasures are not modified.

Compatibility:

"Smooth Stone Walls" adds a new capability, but doesn't change any existing things, so it should be compatible with pretty much any other mod. You should be able to add it to an existing saved game without trouble. Removing it from a game in progress, however, will make the game unplayable if you have any smoothed or etched walls on the map.

"Smooth Stone Walls" is fully compatible with stone types added by other mods, meaning that you'll be able to smooth walls of non-vanilla stone types as easily as you can those of vanilla stone types.

Credits:

Most of the images used for wall art came from the flaticon.com Web site.

The German translation file was provided by Steam user Lauri7x3. The Japanese language translation files were provided by Steam user Proxyer. The Russian language files were provided by kr33man.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?