[B18] Rainbeau's Mods -- Lots of Stuff! Take a Look!

Started by dburgdorf, November 06, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Updates to "Smooth Stone Walls" in its first a18 release:

- Basic etching is now a crafting job rather than a construction job, giving crafting rather than construction XP.

- Decorative etching is still an art job, but no longer provides construction XP, instead giving only artistic XP, as it should.

- The priority of the basic "smooth wall" job has been raised so that it's comparable to other basic construction jobs, so that pawns are more likely to actually smooth walls, even with other jobs in the queue.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

"Basic Bridges," "Fishing," "Configurable Maps" and "Smooth Stone Walls" have all been updated to add Japanese language translation files originally released as "add on" mods for each of them by Steam user Proxyer.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 12/04/2017

"More Trait Slots" is a pretty simple mod. It doesn't add new traits to the game, but it will work well with mods that do, as it allows you to configure the minimum and maximum number of traits that pawns will start with. It also adjusts the character display tab so that up to seven (or up to nine with a smaller font) traits can actually be seen.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"More Trait Slots" can safely be added to or deleted from a game in progress, and shouldn't conflict with any other mods.

If you're using "EdB Prepare Carefully," you might see a warning message if you assign more traits to a pawn than the vanilla character tab would be able to display, but you can safely ignore that message. And you should have no other issues when using the two mods together.

I'm aware of one conflict, and unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it. There's an NSFW mod called "RimJobWorld" which completely replaces the code that creates the character display tab. The changes that "More Trait Slots" makes to that code get ignored along with the core code, and as a result, while your pawns will still have extra traits, the character tab won't be altered to allow you to actually see them.

Credits:

The German language translation file was provided by Maculator.

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

When I started looking for a mod to add more traits to the game, I quickly realized three things about the various trait collection mods that are available: they all have some traits I really like, but also some I dislike, and none of them had all the traits I wanted; they don't necessarily work very well together due to conceptual overlaps or conflicts; and some of them are buggy in one way or another.

So I decided to deal with the problem by... releasing yet another trait collection mod. *Shrug* What can I say? This one, at least, has the traits I like, all the traits I like, and nothing but the traits I like. And I'm reasonably certain it's bug-free.

"Consolidated Traits" adds 45 traits to the game, almost doubling the number of traits available for pawns. The new traits are:

- "Aesthete": Pawns with this trait love beautiful things, and care a lot about the beauty of their environment.
- "Animal Hater": Some pawns just aren't "animal people."
- "Animal Lover": Pawns with this trait, as you'd expect, are especially good at dealing with animals.
- "Bipolar": Pawns with this trait will have more extreme mood swings than other pawns.
- "Brown Thumb": This trait is the opposite of "Green Thumb," obviously.
- "Builder": Pawns with this trait are good at constructing things, at least if they have instructions.
- "Butcher": Pawns with this trait are much faster when butchering animal corpses.
- "Chemist": Pawns with this trait are faster than others when brewing or producing drugs.
- "Claustrophobic": Pawns who don't like confined spaces make poor miners.
- "Cold Lover": Pawns with this trait will complain less when it's cold, but will whine more when it's hot.
- "Coordinated": This one provides a slight boost to global work speed and to most skilled labor.
- "Deadshot": This provides a boost to both shooting speed and accuracy.
- "Deep Sleeper": Pawns with this trait won't be disturbed by others while sleeping.
- "Dunce": Pawns with this trait will learn at a slower rate.
- "Glutton": Pawns with this trait eat very quickly.
- "Gourmet": Pawns with this trait prepare excellent food, but take their time in doing so.
- "Heat Lover": This is the counterpoint to "Cold Lover."
- "Inept": This trait is the counterpoint to "Coordinated."
- "Inventor": Pawns with this trait are great researchers, but tend to be easily distracted.
- "Ironman"/"Tough"/"Low Pain Tolerance": These traits affect a pawn's pain tolerance.
- "Near-Sighted"/"Eagle-Eyed": These traits affect primarily a pawn's shooting accuracy.
- "Neat Freak": Pawns with this trait appreciate the importance of a dirt-free environment.
- "Nibbler": Pawns with this trait eat very slowly, picking at their food.
- "Nyctophobe"/"Nyctophile": These traits make pawns either more or less afraid of the dark than usual.
- "Perfectionist": Pawns with this trait try to make sure their work is done right, no matter how long it takes.
- "Poor Medic"/"Skilled Medic"/"Master Medic": These traits provide penalties or buffs to medical skills.
- "Quick Learner": This trait is the counterpart to "Dunce."
- "Rockhound": Pawns with this trait excel at mining and stonecutting, but are a bit slow at other tasks.
- "Savant": Pawns with this trait are creative geniuses, but terribly slow workers.
- "Sluggish"/"Swift Reflexes": These traits affect a pawn's ability to dodge attacks.
- "Sucker"/"Haggler"/"Master Trader": These traits affect prices when a pawn is trading.
- "Uncouth"/"Diplomat"/"Master Diplomat": These traits affect the success of a pawn's diplomatic efforts.
- "Weak Constitution"/"Strong Constitution": These traits affect a pawn's resistance to pathogens and diseases.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Consolidated Traits" should be compatible with most other mods. Even if those mods add similar traits, there shouldn't be any conflicts, as the traits are unlikely to have the same defNames. However, if you're using more than one mod that adds traits, you might end up seeing pawns with traits that don't really work well together, since the game won't have any way of knowing that trait X from mod Y duplicates or just isn't compatible with trait A from mod B.

I'd recommend using my "More Trait Slots" mod. Combining a larger pool of traits with a larger set of traits per pawn can add some very interesting and uniquely individual personalities to your game.

You should be able to add "Consolidated Traits" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress might cause problems if any pawns in the world have any of the mod's traits, which is of course very likely.

Credits:

Some of the traits added by this mod are original. But most of them are based on traits found in "Additional Traits," "Extended Traits," "L-Traits," and/or the base version of "Pawns Are Capable!"

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Updates to "Consolidated Traits" in its first a18 release:

- Removed "Natural Porter," since it's not actually possible (not easily possible, anyway) to allow pawns to carry more than a full stack of items.

- Added "Ironman," "Tough" and "Low Pain Tolerance" traits, to add a bit of variety to pawns' pain tolerance beyond just "normal" and "Wimpy."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Tired of pawns who refuse to do certain types of work, even when their own lives and the survival of the colony depend on it? This mod changes the way in which the game handles "incapabilities." On the pawns' character tabs, you'll see that the "Incapable of" list has been replaced with a list of "Hated work types." These types of work are marked in amber on the work tab, and aren't assigned by default. But they can be assigned if necessary, as any pawn can be assigned to any type of work. Be aware, though, that if you assign a pawn to do hated work, there's a mood penalty (and eventually movement and even manipulation penalties) that will only grow worse the longer the assignment lasts. This mod is intended to allow you to assign pawns to work they hate in emergency situations. It is *not* intended to allow such assignments to be made on a long-term basis.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Pawns Are Capable!" can safely be added to a game in progress. It's probably also safe to remove from a game, but I'd recommend making sure before you remove it that none of your pawns are assigned to "hated" work types or have lingering mood debuffs from such assignments.

Credits:

Obviously, credit goes to RimRue for the idea and for allowing me to assist in the development of her original version of the mod.

The Korean language files were provided by sogo100. The Japanese language translation files were provided by Steam user Proxyer.

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

KapTaiN_KaVern is ticking another entry in my must have mods for A18

Many thanks ;-)

dburgdorf

"Fishing" has been updated:

- All fish and seafood corpses are now grouped together in a "fish corpses" subfolder within the "animal corpses" folder, for easier stockpile maintenance.

- Added Chinese language translation files provided by kghostSATORI.

- Updated Proxyer's Japanese language files.

"Pawns Are Capable!" has also been updated:

- Initial penalties for hated work types are now lower, and the penalties worsen a bit more slowly than before, though by the 48-hour mark, they'll reach the same maximum as in previous versions of the mod.

- Added Japanese language translation files by Proxyer.

"Archipelagos," "Basic Bridges" and "Smooth Stone Walls" were also updated, but only to add new translation files.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated:

- It is now possible to build boardwalks over marshy terrain even if no water is nearby.

So, yeah, you can use bridges and boardwalks to build "roads" through swamps.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 01/20/2018

"Fertile Fields" is a terraforming mod that lets you fertilize and plow your soil, create farmland on solid rock so you can grow crops in inhospitable environs or inside of mountains, and eventually even restructure the landscape.

Create raw compost with food waste at a butcher's table, then put it in a compost bin or barrel so in time it can become fertilizer. Fertilizer can be used to convert any soil to rich soil. Further improve your farm's fertility by researching farming and plowing your soil. Or learn the fine art of terraforming, and redesign your environment to your heart's content.

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

New Research and Terrain Improvement Options:

Without researching anything, "Fertile Fields" allows you to do basic terrain modification, essentially just digging up dirt from one spot and moving it to another. You can also create raw compost and turn it into fertilizer, which can be used to upgrade your soil, even turning regular soil into rich soil.

Researching "Farming" opens up the ability to plow soil, which lets you further increase the fertility of rich soil. As well, it allows you to lay topsoil over smooth stone. Create a garden inside a mountain if you're so inclined. Topsoil can be further improved by fertilizing it, but can't be plowed.

Finally, "Terraforming" represents an understanding of advanced irrigation and drainage techniques, and opens up a wide variety of terrain-altering options. It allows you to turn marsh, mud, sand or shallow water tiles into farmable soil, or to turn fertile land into sand or marsh. It lets you create shallow water tiles from marsh, so you can create decorative (or defensive) moats. It opens up the ability to dump dirt into deep water to create shallow water, or to remove dirt from shallow water to produce deep water. It also allows you to break solid rock into rocky soil, which can be further improved into regular soil, letting you create mountain farms that can actually be plowed for maximum fertility. Conversely, you can turn rocky dirt back into rough stone. Finally, it also allows you to create a rock mill at which you can create crushed rocks, sand and clay from stone chunks, which you can use to create dirt, so you'll no longer have to remove dirt from one tile in order to add it to another.

Using the Mod:

Most of what's added by "Fertile Fields" can be found on the new "Terraform" and "Farming" tabs of the Architect menu.

A few things, however, are less obvious.

Fertilizer is made from compost in either a compost bin or a compost barrel. Compost can be created at a butcher's table from vegetable matter and meat. It can also be obtained by burning corpses.

Dirt can be created by mixing sand, clay and fertilizer at a crafting spot. Conversely, piles of dirt can be separated at crafting spots into sand and clay. Clay can be "fired" at a smithy to create bricks.

Initially, if you need dirt, sand, clay or crushed rocks, you'll need to obtain them by digging up terrain somewhere on the map or by purchasing them from traders. Once you've researched "Terraforming" and built a rock mill, though, stone chunks can be turned to crushed rocks, which can be further ground into sand and then into clay. Sand and clay, as already noted, can be used to create dirt.

Sandbags, by the way, are now made from sand and cloth instead of from steel, and the mod also introduces "heavy sandbags," made from sand and leather.

For a more detailed overview of everything the mod has to offer, you can consult the "Getting Started with Fertile Fields" text file located in the mod's "About" folder.

Compatibility:

"Fertile Fields" should be compatible with most any other mods. If you run into specific issues, please let me know. You should be able to add "Fertile Fields" to an existing saved game without trouble, but removing the mod from a game in progress will, of course, likely cause problems or even make the game unplayable.

If you're using Fluffy's "Architect Sense" mod, you'll find that terraforming options are grouped together, making the "Terraform" menu rather less unwieldy.

Night soil from Dub's "Hygiene" mod can be terraformed with any conversion that works from marshy soil. Wasteland from the "Crashlanding" mod can be terraformed as sand. Reclaimed soil from CuproPanda's "Quarry" mod can be terraformed as if it was gravel. Hot and cold springs from "Nature's Pretty Sweet" can be transformed as if they were shallow water tiles, and that mod's various "wet" sand and soil terrains can be transformed using terraforming jobs that work on comparable vanilla sand and soil terrains. The various rocky soils to be found on "Biomes!" cavern maps can be terraformed with any conversion that works on rocky dirt. And decrystallized sand and soil from "Tiberium Rim" can be terraformed as vanilla sand and gravel, respectively. (Note, though, that the various tiberium terrains introduced by that mod cannot be altered by anything in "Fertile Fields." To get rid of tiberium, you'll still need to utilize the mechanisms actually provided by "Tiberium Rim.")

Special note regarding "Vegetable Garden": I've tried to ensure that "Fertile Fields" and "Vegetable Garden" are compatible with each other. Most elements of the "Vegetable Garden Project" are unchanged. However, if you're using "VGP Garden Tools," you'll notice that its fertilizing and terraforming options are missing, as they duplicate existing "Fertile Fields" functionality, and that its various new planter boxes, sunlamps and hydroponics basins are located in this mod's "Farming" tab along with their vanilla counterparts. Finally, be aware that if you try to add "Fertile Fields" to a game in which you've already been using "VGP Garden Tools," you may encounter problems.

Credits:

German language translation files were generously provided by Ryder32x. Korean language translation files were provided by Ludeon forums user NEPH. French language translation files were provided by Steam user Redstylt. Russian files were provided by Steam user fox_kirya.

The C# code related to compost bins derives from Dismarzero's "Vegetable Garden." Other aspects of the mod's code have benefited in no small measure from NotFood's suggestions and contributions.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Changes to "Fertile Fields" in its first a18 release:

- Got rid of "rotted meat." Meat and vegetables alike now just deteriorate into "rotted mush."

- For simplicity's sake, compost no longer requires both meat and vegetable products. You can use just one or the other, or both in combination.

- Removed the "rotted material only" compost recipes, since if a player prefers to use only rotted material, it's possible to simply limit the regular compost recipes to accept only "rotted mush" as an ingredient.

- It is once again possible to make dirt at a rock mill as well as at a crafting spot.

- Terrain transformations on the "Terraform" menu now consistently provide Construction experience, regardless of whether materials are needed.

- Terrain transformations on the "Farming" menu are now all Growing (plant work) jobs, and provide Growing experience.

- The ice to shallow water transformation no longer requires Terraforming. It doesn't really take much research to figure out how to cut a hole in the ice, after all.

- Reduced or eliminated the need for fertilizer in a number of terrain transformations.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Nightinggale

Quote from: dburgdorf on November 15, 2017, 11:34:32 PMMake sure that "Fertile Fields" appears *after* "Vegetable Garden" in your mod load order.
ModCheck is able to cause your mod to write an error in the log if Fertile Fields is loaded before Vegetable Garden. This is done with the following patch file and ModCheck.dll, which can either be loaded as a standalone mod or added to your mod like harmony is added to each mod.
<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<success>Always</success>
<operations>
<li Class="ModCheck.loadOrder">
<modName>Vegetable Garden </modName>
<yourMod>>[RF] Fertile Fields [a18]</yourMod>
</li>
</operations>
</Operation>

Note: the space after Vegetable Garden is intended because it has to use the string from name in About.xml and apparently Vegetable Garden has such a space. That's not ideal, but at least the current version of ModCheck is strict about this  :-\
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

dburgdorf

Actually, the order almost certainly doesn't actually matter any more.  I'll check once VG's updated to a18, but that line is actually a leftover from back when I was overwriting rather than just patching stuff.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Nightinggale

That's even better than adding a check ;D
Yeah the only time order matters for patching is if you rely on patching before or after another mod patches and I can't imagine any case where that would be a good idea.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

SpaceDorf

Thank you for the dropbox link.

Finally all my must have mods for rimworld are A18.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.