[B18] Rainbeau's Mods -- Lots of Stuff! Take a Look!

Started by dburgdorf, November 06, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: asquirrel on January 14, 2018, 02:56:42 PMCould you explain how to do that?

Um, again, it works in exactly the same manner as adjusting the ingredients used in any other recipe. You click on the "details" button for the recipe on the bills list, and check or uncheck ingredients based on what you do and don't want used in the recipe. Is that not something you've ever done before?
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 03:41:58 PMI swear I wanna say that I have something downloaded that allows me to make concrete out of any rocks?

No extra mod is needed to allow use of stone types other than limestone to make concrete. As I just explained to Squirrel, all you have to do is adjust the recipe's ingredients.

And while "Fertile Fields" gives you a few additional options for obtaining the necessary materials, it's no longer a required prerequisite for use of "Concrete."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Harry_Dicks

You're right. I have too many I'm trying to keep up with ::)

What do you think about the alert when a particular trait/medical condition pawn walks onto your map? ???

dburgdorf

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 01:09:11 AMI was just curious about how hard this would be to implement....

What you described would definitely be interesting and useful, but I'm afraid it's way beyond my capabilities. I'm pretty good at deciphering what an existing bit of code does and modifying it to suit my needs, but your suggestion would require extensive original coding, and I'm afraid I wouldn't even have a clue where to begin.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Harry_Dicks

Yes exactly, I was curious as to how hard that would be to implement! ;D But I appreciate you answering my question! Thank you, dburgdorf.

asquirrel

dburgdorf.  If you had explained it clearly as you did with your second response, you wouldn't have needed to respond with what I believe is a condescending "um . . again" response.  Not everyone is going to understand what you mean all the time so the "um . . again" is really unnecessary.

wwWraith

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 14, 2018, 03:51:10 PM
but your suggestion would require extensive original coding, and I'm afraid I wouldn't even have a clue where to begin.
In case you are interested probably you can find some clues in Markers and/or Colonist Bar KF.

Also a little suggestion: remove tech requirement for Researching Spot in Tribal Essentials. Otherwise there is probability for player to be unable to research anything. Though maybe I'm the only one who likes to start new colonies without any free techs :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Sarge

Quote from: wwWraith on January 14, 2018, 04:58:19 PM
Though maybe I'm the only one who likes to start new colonies without any free techs :)

You're not :)

dburgdorf

Quote from: asquirrel on January 14, 2018, 04:02:18 PMIf you had explained it clearly as you did with your second response, you wouldn't have needed to respond with what I believe is a condescending "um . . again" response.

My second response was intended more to convey somewhat shocked surprise than condescension.  After all, as adding ingredients to or removing them from the lists of allowed materials for recipes is what I'd consider a fairly basic game mechanic, I quite reasonably assumed that my original response to your query *was* clear, especially given that essentially identical responses have in fact been quite sufficient to address prior instances of the same question.

Quote from: wwWraith on January 14, 2018, 04:58:19 PMAlso a little suggestion: remove tech requirement for Researching Spot in Tribal Essentials. Otherwise there is probability for player to be unable to research anything.

The problem there is that I don't want "classic start" colonists to be able to build the unique tribal spots, just as I don't want tribal pawns to be able to build the "classic start" workbenches....

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

TheGoodMadame

Is there anyway for you to fix this: when I olace soil down on top of sand using thr terraforming anytime it rains the soil washes away and I lose any crops I had originally planted there. I'm currently playing on a desert biome so having this happen kind of sucks.
Check out my scenarios:

Zombie Apocalypse

Canute

Quote from: asquirrel on January 14, 2018, 02:56:42 PM
Could you explain how to do that? 

Got it.   Added granite and marble to the recipe defs.  Here's the file in case someone wants it.  Pretty easy, even for me. :)
You didn't even needed to edit the XML.
The recipe allready include all the chunks/blocks, but just limestone is enable by default.
You just need to press "select all" to the other stones.

wwWraith

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 14, 2018, 05:34:54 PM
The problem there is that I don't want "classic start" colonists to be able to build the unique tribal spots, just as I don't want tribal pawns to be able to build the "classic start" workbenches....

Let me argue a bit about this problem :)

1. I think that it's ok for "industrial" colonists to use tribal methods while they are limited to only most primitive tools at start. Of course they have to adapt, it's handled by researching appropriate techs. Think about modern people in the situation like being stuck on a desolate island - they will learn to make basic things without proper tools and familiar workspace if they want to survive.

2. Same way tribals can use more advanced techs, they just need to learn. They are most probably descendants of some "ancient" colonists who apparently were able to travel through space. So it's not that their brains are smaller.

3. Even while your starting colonists are tribals/industrials, after some time you'll most probably find more new recruits from every stages of progress.

4. After all, I think it'd be better to just let the player decide which techs/equipment to use. If someone will want a pure tribal/industrial colony, they can just not research/build what they think are not fitting in their concept.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

dburgdorf

Quote from: TheGoodMadame on January 15, 2018, 02:06:09 AMIs there anyway for you to fix this: when I olace soil down on top of sand using thr terraforming anytime it rains the soil washes away and I lose any crops I had originally planted there. I'm currently playing on a desert biome so having this happen kind of sucks.

I'm afraid my best advice on this point is, "Don't use 'Nature's Pretty Sweet.'" It's a really cool mod concept, but it seems to be full of bugs, one of them being the tendency for terrain tiles to turn into different terrain types when it rains. There's nothing I can do to fix it, as it isn't a problem with one of my mods. Hopefully NPS's author will eventually get the problems sorted out.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 15, 2018, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: TheGoodMadame on January 15, 2018, 02:06:09 AMIs there anyway for you to fix this: when I olace soil down on top of sand using thr terraforming anytime it rains the soil washes away and I lose any crops I had originally planted there. I'm currently playing on a desert biome so having this happen kind of sucks.

I second this answer.

This reminds me of a request for Fertile Fields though.

Terraforming removes crops just by despawning them, instead of cutting them first, like other construction jobs do.
Could you change that ?
I'm afraid my best advice on this point is, "Don't use 'Nature's Pretty Sweet.'" It's a really cool mod concept, but it seems to be full of bugs, one of them being the tendency for terrain tiles to turn into different terrain types when it rains. There's nothing I can do to fix it, as it isn't a problem with one of my mods. Hopefully NPS's author will eventually get the problems sorted out.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Ashnal

Adding to the NPS issues, I'd love to see the terraforming options be able to be used with NPS terrain types. They don't work with wet soil at all, which makes terraforming a rare occasion when you live in a swamp.