[Request] Melee Weapons maybe?

Started by SpiritedCanine, May 23, 2014, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiritedCanine

I have experienced tribals bum-rushing my base only to stop three feet away from my colonists and start chucking rocks at them. I'd like to see tribals with wooden spears and hatchets, scavengers with daggers and swords and the stronger raiders with shock-batons and  hydraulic-gauntlets (like the power fist from Fallout).
Don't get mad at me for stupid stuff!

Austupaio

This isn't a mod thing, this is a development thing. Tynan will, presumably, be adding melee weapons to the game at some point.

UrbanBourbon

That may not be possible yet. However, I did some digging into the game folder and found a file named Nouns_Weapons.txt
In the folder: Mods\Core\Strings\NameBanks
The content of that text file looks like this:
knife
gun
blade
whip
saw
spear
club

There's 26 lines in that file. It's just a simple list of weapon types but it certainly hints that melee weapons are the future! I just hope I didn't get that file from a mod but that seems unlikely as it's in the "mods/core" folder.

SpiritedCanine

Quote from: Austupaio on May 23, 2014, 05:50:52 PM
This isn't a mod thing, this is a development thing. Tynan will, presumably, be adding melee weapons to the game at some point.
I have a feeling they will as well but the arsenal of them I expect to be small like the vanilla weapons, chances are (with the more creative modders anyway) they can throw something together that wouldn't be implemented by the devs. When they do finally add them in the game the mechanics and execution of it would be more proper......
Don't get mad at me for stupid stuff!

Crimsonknight3

I know I am no modder but if you can modify the range of ranged weapons, create a weapon with a range of 1 and tell the mod (if possible) to use the melee attack animation? It would be a simple stop-gap until tyn gets around to it ?

SSS

Well, I don't know much about modding, but there's a xml tag used when defining equipment... <isGun></isGun>

I don't know enough about verbs to know if you could get anywhere by setting that to false, though. I don't think there's currently any equipment that isn't a gun.

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 23, 2014, 10:06:56 PM
I know I am no modder but if you can modify the range of ranged weapons, create a weapon with a range of 1 and tell the mod (if possible) to use the melee attack animation? It would be a simple stop-gap until tyn gets around to it ?

It would still rely on shooting skills rather than melee, but 1-ranged "guns" are a work-around.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: SSS on May 23, 2014, 10:20:17 PM
It would still rely on shooting skills rather than melee, but 1-ranged "guns" are a work-around.

That's the idea, I am sure you could over-ride the skills needed by defining them inside the mod...

Austupaio

Yeah, I could see a few ways you could hackishly cobble together melee weapons. I just don't see the point when Tynan will implement melee weapons properly in a couple versions.

Once he does that, I'll certain added the Impact Hammer and some of the blades from Ballistic Weapons.

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 23, 2014, 10:06:56 PM
Nice idea but I suspect pawns currently switch to hand-to-hand melee if they stand next to an enemy. Basically you'd create a "gun" that couldn't be used in any situation. So from the colonist point of view it'd be like "Out of range, must get closer, out of range, must get closer... Woah! Too close. Can't use guns. Switching to melee." ... I think.

mrofa

Range 1 will get you in meele combat( you will use fists) you could try with range 2
All i do is clutter all around.

Celthric Aysen

im currently trying to add a stun rodWhich is a melee weapon] on my mod called MGS:PW and im having great success so far but you need to get near the enemy first than stun him with 1.5Million Volts then incapacitate them.
what i basically did was set the range to 1 and that it i had a perfectly working stun rod :)
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

iame6162013

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 24, 2014, 09:11:55 AM
im currently trying to add a stun rodWhich is a melee weapon] on my mod called MGS:PW and im having great success so far but you need to get near the enemy first than stun him with 1.5Million Volts then incapacitate them.
what i basically did was set the range to 1 and that it i had a perfectly working stun rod :)
But that's just a really short range weapon...;)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

not really if you make a custom texture that doesn't have anything in it

iame6162013

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 24, 2014, 09:39:07 AM
not really if you make a custom texture that doesn't have anything in it
but then it is an invisible gun? :P
except if you mean particles.
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

yes i meant particles,
also if someone is wondering if were going off-topic, were still on topic, were just discussing melee weapons :P