[B18] DD Work Tab

Started by Dingo, November 08, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Requires HugsLib. Incompatible with other Work Tab mods. Safe to install on existing saves. Will cause non-critical issues if removed mid-save.

Features

Replaces the Work tab with an overhauled version incorporating a drag-and-drop interface:

• Improved late-game performance (tested up to 30FPS faster with >60 colonists on the same map).

• Enable/disable work with ctrl-click.

• Prioritise work by dragging and dropping.

• Mass-prioritise by shift-clicking a work type from the top row.

• Mass-enable/disable by ctrl-clicking on a work type from the top row.

• Work Functions button: enable/disable/reset work, copy and paste priorities.

• Colour-coded interface allows you to estimate colonist skill at a glance.

• Compare Skills window lets you sort colonists by skill for more convenient comparison.

• Familiar tooltips for nearly everything in the interface including descriptions, skill level, disability warning etc.

• Mod options for extra user experience adjustments (Options > Mod Settings).

Download (v1.0.18c - November 26th, 2017)

Screenshots

Credits

Resources:   Marnador - RimWorld Font
Libraries:   pardeike - Harmony Patch Library, UnlimitedHugs - HugsLib
Art:   kaisentlaia

kaptain_kavern

justhaze

hey, really cool, thanks for this mod....

could you maybe add icons for fishing from rainbeaus fishing mod?

or, can i do it myself by simply putting "laborName.png" pictures as icons into the textures/work folder? (guess they would have to be a specific size and format?

also im missing icons for transport+ (priority hauling) and finishing off creatures.... i forgot from which mods i got em from...

but rly great work, makes it alot more visuable and intuitive!
good life!

Dingo

If you have icons for modded work types I can add them for sure. The mod uses 3 versions: full colour, outline and greyscale to denote different stuff. It will load a greyed out texture if there is no custom texture for it unfortunately, that's how it is right now.

Dingo

Added Workshop link. Also fixed an issue with texture loading if the user renamed the folder and/or downloaded the mod from Steam.

Kiame

What was changed to improve late-game performance? Is it possible to break that out into a separate mod?

Dingo

Yes, I actually made a separate helper class for stuff like that and you can use it in your own mods:

https://github.com/DingoDjango/DDWorkTab/blob/master/Source/Tools/DingoUtils.cs

Look at the bottom of that page.

Dingo

That is definitely Outfitter doing some really weird stuff. Dunno what Killface is trying to accomplish with that piece of code but I wish him luck...

xDahaka2012x

Hello, Dingo! I'm currently trying your mod and it looks fantastic. But there is a small problem with it not having new job types that I added with some other mods. Therefore, I'd like to ask if you could come up with some compatibility patches for the following mods:
Rainbeau's Fishing (Fishing)
AllowTool (urgent hauling or "haul+" and finishing off, the art is already present, you only need to make the grayscale versions of them)
Hospitality (negotiation)
I would much appreciate that, because at this point, it is very hard to manage your work order when 4 of your worktypes are simply blank spaces. And the only way to identify them is actually only by hovering over them and then pressing and listening to the sound to figure out whether they are enabled.
Anyway, thank you for this great mod. It really makes more sence than the vanilla tab.

frenchiveruti

Hello! How does this mod compares against Fluffly's WorkTab? 
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16120.0 
I mean, why would I want to switch over his to your mod?

Dingo

Quote from: xDahaka2012x on November 22, 2017, 12:57:37 PM
Hello, Dingo! I'm currently trying your mod and it looks fantastic. But there is a small problem with it not having new job types that I added with some other mods...

As I said in the FAQ:
The tab was made to work with vanilla RimWorld. If anyone can make textures for modded work types such as Fishing they can easily be added to the mod.
If you have such textures please share them with me.

Quote from: frenchiveruti on November 22, 2017, 01:24:42 PM
Hello! How does this mod compares against Fluffly's WorkTab?

Fluffy's tab is great if you like the vanilla design and want more in-depth options such as expanded priorities and timed work. I made mine for people who have a hard time dealing with vanilla's priority structure and want a more simplified workflow.

For example - if you want to disable a work type in vanilla you need to cycle through all priorities until you reach 0. In DD you just ctrl click.
In vanilla, if you want to prioritise hauling to #1 temporarily, you need to adjust a lot of other priorities. In DD you just drag Hauling to where you want it.

frenchiveruti

I see, thanks for the clarification. Not my kind of mod but all your other mods are really a godsend.

TryB4Buy

I love this mod even though I was a bit perplexed about why you made it. Something told me to try it out and I did.

I think your mod is superior to the vanilla for the following reason: pawns do not automatically intercept other pawns' jobs and therefore priorities do not matter between pawns. Each pawn seems to chose his own next action irregardless of any other pawns' actions aside from already reserved objects. Even worse (but a separate issue), job decisions aren't influenced by closeness.

This means that if you have a priority 1 hauler next the last item to haul and 1 tick before, a priority 4 hauler decides to so some hauling, the priority 1 hauler will NOT say to the priority 4 hauler "I have a higher priority than you, so I get to do this job instead of you." This is how the vanilla game trains the player to think. And it is wrong.

All that matters is the algorithmic order of which job list to try to fulfill next. That's it. And that's exactly what your mod allows full control over. Firstly, am I correct in the above. Secondly, do you think Tynan would like to hear about this?

notfood

I don't think this mod touches job scanning and execution, does it? It's merely a different interface.