[B18] DD Work Tab

Started by Dingo, November 08, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: TryB4Buy on December 07, 2017, 03:52:23 PM
I love this mod even though I was a bit perplexed about why you made it. Something told me to try it out and I did.

I think your mod is superior to the vanilla for the following reason: pawns do not automatically intercept other pawns' jobs and therefore priorities do not matter between pawns. Each pawn seems to chose his own next action irregardless of any other pawns' actions aside from already reserved objects. Even worse (but a separate issue), job decisions aren't influenced by closeness.

This means that if you have a priority 1 hauler next the last item to haul and 1 tick before, a priority 4 hauler decides to so some hauling, the priority 1 hauler will NOT say to the priority 4 hauler "I have a higher priority than you, so I get to do this job instead of you." This is how the vanilla game trains the player to think. And it is wrong.

All that matters is the algorithmic order of which job list to try to fulfill next. That's it. And that's exactly what your mod allows full control over. Firstly, am I correct in the above. Secondly, do you think Tynan would like to hear about this?

I don't think vanilla works the way you think it does. Vanilla also should be ignoring between jobs what each persons priority level is. It only works within the pawns decision making themselves. That is besides, as you mentioned, already reserved objects.

Dingo

It doesn't do anything to job scanning.

DandoonMooshi

Hey Dingo is there an anyway to reduce the scale on the mod? IDK if its my resolution or what but the mod adds a scroll bar to see the entire tab and defeats the speed it adds

Dingo

I thought about it, if I ever feel like updating it that'll be one thing to do. I didn't think it would look good when I made it, so I just made the size constant.

TryB4Buy

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on December 07, 2017, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: TryB4Buy on December 07, 2017, 03:52:23 PMpawns do not automatically intercept other pawns' jobs and therefore priorities do not matter between pawns.
Vanilla also should be ignoring between jobs what each persons priority level is.
These two statements are equivalent.

Thus, this mod is needed to illustrate this fact to the player. Vanilla seems to teach the player that priority levels matter. They don't. Vanilla is "wrong" / poorly designed in this aspect.

It would be neat if the way vanilla trains a player to think would be implemented. But coding when to intercept jobs based off distance and priority wouldn't be trivial.

Anyways, can we get fully separated job actions? For instance Sowing vs Planting are different jobs that both function off the Growing skill. This mod separated them already if it helps: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25325.0

LasurDragon

Here are textures for AllowTool jobs. Greyscale ones here are the same as disabled.
You can copy this to DD WorkTab mod folder to see specific icons in Work tab instead of general "M".

Also I noticed that jobs added mid-game like with AllowTool mod will be missed from Work tab and only appear for new colonists.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: LasurDragon on January 16, 2018, 09:51:02 PM
Here are textures for AllowTool jobs. Greyscale ones here are the same as disabled.
You can copy this to DD WorkTab mod folder to see specific icons in Work tab instead of general "M".

Also I noticed that jobs added mid-game like with AllowTool mod will be missed from Work tab and only appear for new colonists.

Which is why I use Fluffy's WorkTab.

Hildako

I made textures for Finishing Off, Hauling Urgently, Negotiate and Fishing. :)

[attachment deleted due to age]

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Hildako on February 11, 2018, 04:19:49 PM
I made textures for Finishing Off, Hauling Urgently, Negotiate and Fishing. :)

Those are really nice! I wish Moody had updated icons for the "current job" of a pawn, especially for all of the new ones I have from mods. Speaking of Moody, I just really want something like a cross over between Moody and Numbers. Essentially just a Numbers screen that I can move around and resize like Moody. But I can totally customize all of the things that will be displayed in this window, just like Numbers.

One thing that I love that the author of Numbers did, was they future proofed their mod to work with other mods. For example, with Numbers you can set it up to have any of your colonists' "needs" bars displayed in the Numbers windows. But it doesn't give you the options for only the needs in the vanilla game. If you have any needs from mods, you can put them in this window. That means you can have bladder and hygiene from Dubs' Bad Hygiene, or you can have Blood and Vitae from Rim of Madness---Vampires, or Sex from RimJobWorld, Hydration from No Water No Life, etc.

One thing that I absolutely love about Moody, and I think it doesn't get enough recognition, is that you have two different views for looking at all of the "moods/moodlets" affecting all of your colonists. You can see what negative mood thing is affecting the highest number of people, or the highest total number of mood changes brought by one type of mood modifier, all kinds of awesome stuff. This will let you easily diagnose something like, "90% of my colonist are having a negative mood from this one thing, but it barely affects them. However 40% of my colonists are affected by this one thing tremendously, totally eclipsing the 90% colony wide problem." Stuff like this will help you easily decide on prioritization of time sensitive tasks.

Dingo

Meanwhile DD is actually just a clusterfuck. :P I'll admit in hindsight I put in way too much work for a proof of concept. Happy to see people contributing textures, though! I promise one day I'll have some spare time (or RimWorld will update) and I'll force myself to update the mod a bit.

TryB4Buy

Quote from: Dingo on February 12, 2018, 01:06:02 PMMeanwhile DD is actually just a clusterfuck. :P I'll admit in hindsight I put in way too much work for a proof of concept. Happy to see people contributing textures, though! I promise one day I'll have some spare time (or RimWorld will update) and I'll force myself to update the mod a bit.
Aw man. Speaking of those fully seperated actions, there is no way to give higher priority to things certain actions even with this mod.

For instance, there is no way to tell a pawn that taking a drug (during a scheduled time, of course) is more important than hauling. There is no way to tell a pawn during sleep time, but after being awoken, that healing itself is more important than going back sleep.

There is no work around for the first one (you have to use manual orders and just not trust the built in scheduling of drugs) and the second requires waking up, drafting, flipping the colonist to working, waiting a tick (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP), undrafting, then switching the working time to sleep time. I have to do this for a dozen colonists every night, sometimes multiple times (mechanites, flu, etc). Drowsy colonists sleep twice a day and so I have to do this two times as often. It's awful.

Dingo

Well that's a vanilla issue that Fluffy's tab kinda addresses. If someone adapts DD to a text-based version it'll be possible to do. The graphic interface would just become insane not to mention all the needed textures to do what you're asking.

wwWraith

Quote from: TryB4Buy on February 22, 2018, 04:42:04 PM
There is no way to tell a pawn during sleep time, but after being awoken, that healing itself is more important than going back sleep

Priority treatment does exactly this thing.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

TryB4Buy

Quote from: Dingo on February 23, 2018, 03:10:22 AMWell that's a vanilla issue that Fluffy's tab kinda addresses. If someone adapts DD to a text-based version it'll be possible to do. The graphic interface would just become insane not to mention all the needed textures to do what you're asking.
Fluffy's tab doesn't work for me. It racks up continuous errors when trying to go into the tab. So with your mod, even if the textures are blank, just having tooltip text will be useful. Counting by this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211661009 the additional job types are: surgery, nursing (others) feeding (others), rearming (mortars), refuel (launchers), butcher (which can be manipulated via production table cooking skill ranges), brew (alcohol), repair, demolition, harvest vs sow, drill vs mine, DRUGS (scheduled or unscheduled?), assemble vs refine vs stone cut vs smelt (again can be set in production tables), mortician. I don't know what negotiating is compared to wardening.

Quote from: wwWraith on February 23, 2018, 04:00:04 AMPriority treatment does exactly this thing.
That saves a command. But will they wake up to self-tend their gutworms? Or do I still have to draft them to wake them up?

Mistrornge

Are you planning an update for B19?  I miss this mod