Personal curiosity on the map size

Started by PhantomFav, November 12, 2017, 02:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomFav

What is the map size you usually play on Rimworld?

The last time I bought a new hardware for my computer was 2010, it has 2RAMGB, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo 2.40GHz, 64bit, AMD Radeon HD 5450.
I usually play on the 250x250 map. Can I play a smooth game on larger map?

I ask this because on 275x275 maps (or larger) appears the warning message for the performance.

Canute

I wouldn't suggest.
2GB RAM and the pretty slow CPU are the bottleneck.
Any new cheap PC from a discount seller/market got a much better performance.

anotherrimworld

I'd say that I have the best possible computer to play rimworld with but even then, eventually the lag makes the game unbearable to play. Because of this, I started playing on the smallest map size. I find this is the best solution possible along with the declutter mod because if the map ever becomes too small you can just start a second colony. I'd actually prefer it if development ended on rimworld so that rimworldx64 multiplayer could begin

lauri7x3

because of rimworld not using multithreading i recommend using the the small maps. the lag is ur biggest enemy in this game

CannibarRechter

> I'd actually prefer it if development ended on rimworld so that rimworldx64 multiplayer could begin

I'm not actually sure why that wouldn't just be a recompile release. Some Unity limitation? It's not gonna be a C# limitation.

Anyway, usually when my maps slow down I have plenty of RAM left (allocated to RW). The real restriction in this game is threading, AFAICT.

Well, technically, I'd say what's holding it back fundamentally for performance is neither of the above. It's the ticking architecture. But that's no easy re-do.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Nameless

I don't even know how but my previous 225x225 game were more laggy than my current 250x250 game that has a bigger base and has more colonist. Only difference is temp. forest vs boreal forest.

Guessing map type also play a part in that.

gipothegip

I play on the default map size (250 x 250). It's still decently sized and doesn't lag as much, which matters later on if / when you get a large or multiple colonies.

I used to play on larger maps (325 x 325), but it got problematic performance wise with multiple colonies when I started playing with that feature.

Given your specs, I'm not sure how well your rig would handle larger maps.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Sbilko

I almost always play on the smallest, 200x200, because it lags the least.

And with lag I mean being at speed 2 or 3 when you have your base of 8 colonists trying to do jobs, and glitching back and forth a little as they move.

BlackSmokeDMax

I usually play on one click larger than default. So, 275 x 275 I think?