Make mechanoid hives an actual location type in the world map

Started by Third_Of_Five, November 10, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third_Of_Five

Every once in a while, your Rimworld colony will get raided by mechanoids from a mechanoid hive. I think you should be able to find these mechanoid hives and attack them, much like with raider bases. Obviously this would be very difficult, and mechanoid hives should probably be much more rare than normal towns. But they would have an actual location on the map.

Thoughts? I think it would be quite interesting to see where the mechanoid creatures hide out, and a great challenge for when you're playing late-game.

Call me Arty

I like the idea, though I don't think vanilla Rimworld is equipped with the right equipment to tackle 10-20 Mechanoids at this point in the game. Meanwhile, in Modsville, I'd love to stop getting harassed by Mechanoids.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Call me Arty on November 10, 2017, 10:03:38 PM
I like the idea, though I don't think vanilla Rimworld is equipped with the right equipment to tackle 10-20 Mechanoids at this point in the game. Meanwhile, in Modsville, I'd love to stop getting harassed by Mechanoids.

I don't know.. if you can get your hands on one of the new orbital cannon weapons and a few EMP mortar shells, you could do some serious damage.

Sylvain07

it could be like a dunjeon with a AI center which you must destroy

Limdood

large colonies already get 10-20 mechanoids....numbers wouldn't be a problem with this mod...the only difficulty would be in the time it takes to code it in, design new bases, etc.  Plus currently mechanoids seem largely flavored to be coming from space, rather than a map location.

mistomaxo

absolutely, simply a good idea. the mechanoids shouldn't be emerging from nowhereland. also, perhaps some locations where insect infestation hives have become especially large and taken over mineshafts and bunkers

BadgeAddict

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 13, 2017, 12:13:42 PM
This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for a quest.

Yeah someone made a separate thread about that, suggesting maybe there could also be hives that would work like outposts:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36775.0

Mst

Perhaps instead of a hive it's more logical to have a large crash site with structures imitating patly destroyed ship? As people mentioned above they do come from space. Or it could be some kind of ancient ruins they guard or scavenge.

The main point is the goal of your raid. To make all the development time and power worthwhile, I agree, it should be some cool quest maybe with rare resources/items or maybe chance to delay their drop on your base for some extensive time. Anyway it should contribute somehow to your story and have a purpose, something more than just exploring from lack of other things to do.

I recently found out on the a18 thread that you can rescue kidnapped or banished colonists. Such a great addition. You can receive similar transmission from some other abducted dude needing rescue from vivisection.

BadgeAddict

Quote from: Mst on November 13, 2017, 12:53:08 PM
Perhaps instead of a hive it's more logical to have a large crash site with structures imitating patly destroyed ship? As people mentioned above they do come from space. Or it could be some kind of ancient ruins they guard or scavenge.

The main point is the goal of your raid. To make all the development time and power worthwhile, I agree, it should be some cool quest maybe with rare resources/items or maybe chance to delay their drop on your base for some extensive time. Anyway it should contribute somehow to your story and have a purpose, something more than just exploring from lack of other things to do.

I recently found out on the a18 thread that you can rescue kidnapped or banished colonists. Such a great addition. You can receive similar transmission from some other abducted dude needing rescue from vivisection.

Speaking of that quest,
"The entire spaceship full of these beasties could "Crash" nearby and then start attacking nearby colonies (Raiders, tribes, settlements, etc) ....kind of a, apocalyptic scenario. Randy would totally do shit like this.

Mst

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 13, 2017, 12:58:51 PM
Speaking of that quest,
"The entire spaceship full of these beasties could "Crash" nearby and then start attacking nearby colonies (Raiders, tribes, settlements, etc) ....kind of a, apocalyptic scenario. Randy would totally do shit like this.

Sounds awesome, the raids on your base from mechs go up drastically so you have to deal with them on their turf to things go back to normal.

Yoshida Keiji

Absolutely yes. And once we find such hives, we should be able to turn at least one unit to our side like the Terminator 2 joining the human race. Who wouldn't like a colony defending scyther?

BadgeAddict

Or, once a mechanoid is downed, but not dead, you could have the option to perform a "Change Programming". An intellectual skill, and have a 1-shot chance at gaining the mech as a comrade....a very low chance, but still, could be awesome.

Mst

In continuation of our new quest line I propose a second event in that chain. There is a little chance reprogrammed mechanoid can go mad any time. Like a sleeping agent waiting for the right time.

Barley

You could bring batteries, turrets, mortars, sniper rifles, and boomrats and just lay explosive siege to the colony. Add in the orbital bombardment gear and some drop-podding boomrat support and you got a pretty decent siege arsenal. Of course, you'd need a reward greater than even orbital bombardment to incentivize it. I'm thinking a special research table that lets you learn how build aforementioned bombardment weapons' targeters. It would be the absolute endgame of endgames, and the resources you'd need to get it would almost be enough that you wouldn't NEED it. But it does give the game a sub-boss built around offence and siege warfare to complement the ship launching's defense boss fight.