Butchering: "Do Until" and selecting small animals

Started by Rock5, November 11, 2017, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

You can't set the butcher task to "Do until". I understand why, because butchering produces different types of meat, but this is forcing me to micromanage butchering. I think the game should address issues that force the player to micromanage a task.

The game already supports counting different types of items, for example clothing of different materials and quality can be counted, so I suspect this could be implemented with meat. You would probably want to be able to exclude (or include) human meant and/or insect meat but even if you couldn't, it would still help.

To clarify: The reason I need to micromanage butchery is because I mostly hunt herds of large animals such as Muffalo and Caribou. If I set butchery to "Do forever" I can literally fill my freezer to overflowing. And before any of you ask, my freezers are not that small, usually about 130 squares.

Of course you could "Do forever" with smaller animals because they take the same or less space in the freezer when butchered. If I can be bothered, I sometimes set up a separate butcher task to butcher only small animals and set it to "Do forever" but it's a hassle to set up because there is no easy way to know which animals produce less than 75 meat. Which leads me to my next suggestion.

Could we have some sort of option for automatically selecting small animals? Or maybe animals could be grouped into 2 further subgroups, for example;
= Humanlike corpses
= Animal Corpses
= Insect Corpses
= Small Animal Corpses
= Large Animal Corpses
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Looks like I'm the only one who has issues with butchering. *grumble, grumble*
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Rock5 on November 11, 2017, 12:01:15 AM
You can't set the butcher task to "Do until". I understand why, because butchering produces different types of meat, but this is forcing me to micromanage butchering.

Nope, I just have not read this earlier.
I think this is stupid as well.
Only because you could maybe overproduce when butchering a large animal with
.. butchter Until 100 Meat, and then butcher the Thrumbo at 99 ..

the pause/unpause job number still applies
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Rock5

That wasn't completely clear. That last bit "pause/unpause job number still applies", that's a mod right? Better Workbench Management right? Are you saying using the pause/unpause works with butchering? I don't have it installed at the moment but I thought you had to select "Do until" first before the pause/unpause option appears.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

viperwasp

The Pause/Unpause until feature is Vanilla but yes you do have to select "Do Until" to get that option.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Rock5 on November 17, 2017, 01:25:54 PM
That wasn't completely clear. That last bit "pause/unpause job number still applies", that's a mod right? Better Workbench Management right? Are you saying using the pause/unpause works with butchering? I don't have it installed at the moment but I thought you had to select "Do until" first before the pause/unpause option appears.

Sorry ..
pause/unpause was a mod feature once, but got included into vanilla.

When selecting the "do until" - bill it gets paused when it's fulfilled and you can select when your storage is low enough that the bill should start again.

What I meant to say, with "the pause/unpause job number still applies", is that even if you overproduce by accident .. the second part of the do-until ruleset still applies.
The Bill will only continue when you fall under the given number of product.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Rock5

I surprised myself by managing to make the mod myself. Check it out!
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37177.0

It allows butcher bills to use the Do Until option. It even has mod options so you can select which types of meat to count.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

asanbr

I usually forbid the muffalos and other big corpses in the freezer that I want to keep, and then let them butcher everyhting else to infinity.

Then I unforbid appropriate amount of big animals as needed.

Still support this suggestion, tehre is a lot of room for improvement.