Shelves have no path cost

Started by YokoZar, November 12, 2017, 08:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YokoZar

Right now they're inconsistent with the rest of the constructions in the game.  They should either have a beauty score or no associated quality level.

If shelves didn't have quality, they'd be consistent with workbenches, graves, walls, and other neutral beauty constructs.
If shelves did have beauty, they'd be a more logical choice than wooden stools for crafting access.

Personally I prefer the second, but in any case shelves having quality feels like a bug after quality was removed from graves.

Wanderer_joins

Alenerel

Well, I like the suggestion of having shelves as substitutes of wooden stools. The only problem is that you have 5 spots around the spot for stool, but you can only fill 4 with shelves and even if you put 2 shelves it doesnt look very nice.

About the quality, I think it should give more beauty, if it doesnt do already.

YokoZar

Wanderer_joins

And btw, shelves have no path cost, don't know if it was intended.

YokoZar

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on June 23, 2018, 05:09:01 AM
I think adding path cost would make them usable as alternatives to stools for sitting next to work stations, which sounds like a good idea!

Mihsan

Quote from: YokoZar on June 23, 2018, 06:33:16 AM
I think adding path cost would make them usable as alternatives to stools for sitting next to work stations, which sounds like a good idea!
Shelves have already giant benefit of hiding beauty debuff on stored things.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Rulin

YokoZar

Quote from: Rulin on June 24, 2018, 10:22:37 AM
Quote from: Wanderer_joins on June 23, 2018, 05:09:01 AM

Is this new in 1.0?
A lot of other things with no path cost (eg tool cabinets) were fixed, this was probably just overlooked.

YokoZar

I made a really really quick mod that modified the shelves with the following:

- <ThingDef ParentName="FurnitureWithQualityBase">
+ <ThingDef ParentName="FurnitureBase">
+ <pathCost>60</pathCost>

The quality change worked as expected, and the addition of path cost had the wonderful side effect of making crafters not walk onto the tile.  With this simple change you can use shelves instead of stools to accompany your speedy crafting stations!

YokoZar

Quote from: Mihsan on June 23, 2018, 09:09:18 AM
Quote from: YokoZar on June 23, 2018, 06:33:16 AM
Shelves have already giant benefit of hiding beauty debuff on stored things.
I didn't know this fact until this thread, it should be in the text description!

Tynan

They definitely should have a sensible path cost.

Shelf description should note that it hides beauty debuff of things it holds and prevents deterioration of items even if outside.

We could add a small beauty value but note that wealth itself affects room impressiveness too.

Quotethey'd be a more logical choice than wooden stools for crafting access.
What does this mean?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

YokoZar

Quote from: Tynan on September 10, 2018, 07:00:38 AM
What does this mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNgseXjUbyo&feature=youtu.be&t=14m56s

When you have goods on top of stools your crafters can reach for them rather than having to walk over and pick them off the floor.

With a path cost on shelves they can pull items off the shelves too.

Alenerel

Quote from: Tynan on September 10, 2018, 07:00:38 AM
What does this mean?

If you put a stool near a stove, for example, and a stockpile there, the cook can grab materials instantly from there. A shelf could have the same functionality.