Population Limit

Started by caidrath, November 22, 2017, 06:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caidrath

Hello my friends. I ve been playing and suggesting some ideas for a long while. Couldnt be playing it cuz of finals lately but now I am back and ready to create a massive colony. What I am gonna ask you is IF there is a population limit, how to encounter it? Okay lemme explain. You can start with 10 people with scenario editor. But after some recruitment ( IDK how many exactly) you cant get any other people in. Like prisoners wont join, no more random joining to colony. I remember, and not sure of it, we could change the maximum from somewhere in settings of game. Can you enlighten me please, thank you.

Canute

There isn't a max. population, but
- it will be harder to recruit prisoner after you got a limit
- the storyteller will start to do much harder events after you got the limit
- slaver mosttimes don't got any slaves to sell too.

Some mod's raise the limit.
PopCap+ V1.3

With hospitality mod you can recruit visitors.
Android mod let you print/construct you own pawns.

JimmyAgnt007

you can also edit the story teller defs in the files to set the limit to whatever you want.  my current colony has 59 people and counting.  will keep going until i run out of room under the mountain and then set the limit to that.  its an easy edit.

MajorMonotone

There is a colonist limit but I can't remember what defines the number all I remember is that the higher your colonist count the lower the chances of events that give you colonists (Refugee, escape pod etc) and increases the chance of wounds being fatal, thus crippling your ability to take in prisoners.

Livingston I Presume

You change it through the game files easily.  Just have to replace a few values, I'll be able to follow this up with a tutorial on how to do it later.  But it can be done with very minimal effort.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: MajorMonotone on November 22, 2017, 09:32:06 AM
There is a colonist limit but I can't remember what defines the number all I remember is that the higher your colonist count the lower the chances of events that give you colonists (Refugee, escape pod etc) and increases the chance of wounds being fatal, thus crippling your ability to take in prisoners.
Randy dosent seem to care much about his limit. He was still throwing pods, world refugees, and chased refugees even after I hit my limit.

jamaicancastle

In Defs/Storyteller/Storyteller.xml, each Storyteller has a populationIntentFromPopCurve that is... basically what it says. It takes in your population and spits out a factor that represents how likely you are to get new colonists. The lower that factor is, the less likely slavers are to have slaves, the less likely net-population events like wanderers/refugees are to happen, and the less likely prisoners are to join you. However, the latter two can happen; their chances cap at a threshold. (Slaves do eventually become absolutely guaranteed not to show up.) All of the storytellers think you're fine at 13 colonists, and Cassandra/Phoebe will grow actively hostile to new colonists at about 18. Randy, being Randy, won't be that strongly against it until you hit 50.

There was an A16/A17 mod that just bumped up these caps, but I don't know if it's for B18 yet.