Hauling behaviour Suggestion "Balance" and "Keep"

Started by qsdoosix, November 15, 2017, 12:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsdoosix

I believe i'm not the only one have these problems

Case 1
You built 2 ammo storage around your base.
All your pawns will deliver ammo to one storage, and you get one empty and one full ammo storage in the end.
Is that possible, to add a behavior that the pawns can "balance" the items in the storage, so we can get 2 half full ammo storage? It doesn't need to be exactly same, but roughly same. I think an idea is the pawn will move new produced item to the storage with less same type of things (given two storage has same priority and both accepts that item) but not moving existing things

Case 2
You made a small storage as a buffer for your turret/workbench built away from your main storage.
But whenever one of your pawns takes a few things from the buffer, the others will fill it. Carrying very little things though half of the map.
Is that possible to have an option to set "Keep there between x-y" so the pawns will wait until the amount in the storage is less than x, then fill it to y, so the hauling will be more efficient (because the pawns will carry full load for each run).

BadgeAddict

If I may add an additional item on top of this. Could you allow some storage to only be fed by other storage. What I mean is, say you have a mass storage for "all the things", and a few minor storage areas for specific items. This would allow the minor storage areas to only be supplied from the main storage and vice versa.

qsdoosix

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 15, 2017, 07:01:09 AM
If I may add an additional item on top of this. Could you allow some storage to only be fed by other storage. What I mean is, say you have a mass storage for "all the things", and a few minor storage areas for specific items. This would allow the minor storage areas to only be supplied from the main storage and vice versa.

If you just want a massive storage stores everything and some small one stores some specify items, you can do like this
make a massive storage with low priority stores everything, then build small storage, set it to only store what you want, then you give it high priority.I think what i said in case 2 is exactly what you want. A massive storage stores most of the ammo, then a small buffer (1 or 2 blocks) stores ammo needed by the turret few step away. The pawns will fill the buffer, then put all the ammo produced after to the main storage, and if the buffer is empty ,they go carry ammo from the main storage.

BadgeAddict

Oh, nice thanks.

Yeah, the big problem I usually have is with stone-cutters, which is why I typically don't have any storage areas which allow stone blocks, that way when they finish cutting the blocks, they drop them at the closest available spot. I'm not sure how you necessarily get away from that, because I don't want them wasting the time moving to put them down.

Speaking to your immediate suggestion, I think maybe the best way to do what you want would be to set something (or a clickable option) that says, when you have more than 1 storage area of the same type, deliver 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. (Essentially a round-clock rotation of which storage area things are being delivered to.)

qsdoosix

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 15, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
Oh, nice thanks.

Yeah, the big problem I usually have is with stone-cutters, which is why I typically don't have any storage areas which allow stone blocks, that way when they finish cutting the blocks, they drop them at the closest available spot. I'm not sure how you necessarily get away from that, because I don't want them wasting the time moving to put them down.

Speaking to your immediate suggestion, I think maybe the best way to do what you want would be to set something (or a clickable option) that says, when you have more than 1 storage area of the same type, deliver 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, or 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. (Essentially a round-clock rotation of which storage area things are being delivered to.)

So first thing first, stone (not brick) are not like normal things (weapons or body or other resources) that will be hauled as soon as possible, it only be hauled when needed (like you are placing a farm on it, or you are ordered to move it). So it is fine to have an place to store the stones for the stone cutter, and in the settings for the cutting stone job (and any other job like cooking or crafting) you can set them to left the output on the ground after finish.

And by the second suggestion, I think "haul to where has less" is better than "haul half to here and haul another half to there", because if you fight mostly happens on one side of your base, then the two armory is still unbalanced

jamaicancastle

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 15, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
In the stonecutting bill, it should have an option to either "take to nearest stockpile" or "drop on the floor", which... does what it says it does. That way they won't spend any time taking the newly cut blocks anywhere.

Honestly I don't usually bother with that since in my base the stockpile they're taking the blocks to is normally the one that holds stone chunks, so they're going to head there anyway. But it sounds like that should do what you want.

BadgeAddict

Thanks, had no idea that option existed, that should save some time planning things out.