New Mood Debuff: Upcoming Surgery

Started by Barley, November 15, 2017, 05:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

More for story than for gameplay, but a good idea to stop people from chopping unstable individuals' legs off when a psychic event occurs for fear of premature mental break. Not to mention it may lead to prisoners rioting before you steal their kidneys.

We all get nervous when we go under the scalpel, right? We always worry about a complete stranger, qualified though they may be, performing invasive operations on our bodies. So why not the pawns?

The mood debuff could be for major surgeries only, since a peg leg is hardly something to get worked up about, or it could scale with the difficulty of the surgery. Other factors could be the hygiene of the hospital, the quality of medicine, and the relationship with the doctor who performs the surgery.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Barley on November 15, 2017, 05:42:12 PM
More for story than for gameplay, but a good idea to stop people from chopping unstable individuals' legs off when a psychic event occurs for fear of premature mental break. Not to mention it may lead to prisoners rioting before you steal their kidneys.

We all get nervous when we go under the scalpel, right? We always worry about a complete stranger, qualified though they may be, performing invasive operations on our bodies. So why not the pawns?

The mood debuff could be for major surgeries only, since a peg leg is hardly something to get worked up about, or it could scale with the difficulty of the surgery. Other factors could be the hygiene of the hospital, the quality of medicine, and the relationship with the doctor who performs the surgery.

I don't know, I mean if I have a pawn that is injured in battle and I need to perform emergency surgery on them, I can't afford to have them break.

Slimy_Slider

The problem with this idea is that most surgeries are performed almost immediately after allocating one to be performed. Pawns will either automatically go to the medical bed (If bed rest is prioritised, which it always is for me) or will be manually forced to go to the surgery by the player. In that light, the mood debuff would likely be extremely short lived and virtually pointless.

While I do agree that removing legs should not be the primary way of deterring mental breaks, this probably won't have much of an effect unless you are carrying out mass organ harvesting, or dealing with a particularly limb-hungry Thrumbo.

Sbilko

Why should they be sad when there's an upcoming surgery?

They should be happy if they get a new lung/kidney/liver/heart/leg/arm.

Limdood

Have to agree with slimy and Sbilko, i see no real reason for this.  If cutting off legs is how people prefer to play, let them?  Putting this in would penalize all the legitimate surgeries, often nonsensically, considering the wide array of beneficial surgeries performed (bionics, replacing defective organs, or removing imminently lethal infections).  Even if it were implemented, it would have no effect, ESPECIALLY on the people you intend it to affect.  Those people have already shown they understand the system well enough to game the mental breaks...drafting the pawn, standing by the bed, then assigning the surgery and putting him to bed means no mood penalty...since mood shifts over time to meet the "target" mood.

It is far more likely to penalize legitimate surgeries being done in the aftermath of a brutal battle, when pawns are busy and running around already...the exact time a situation like that SHOULDN'T arise.

Bolgfred

Quote from: Slimy_Slider on November 15, 2017, 09:59:08 PM
The problem with this idea is that most surgeries are performed almost immediately after allocating one to be performed. Pawns will either automatically go to the medical bed (If bed rest is prioritised, which it always is for me) or will be manually forced to go to the surgery by the player. In that light, the mood debuff would likely be extremely short lived and virtually pointless.

That's the point! When a pawn goes for medical bed because of a operation, the doctor might come very quick - or not.
When one waits for an operation for a day or two, this might make one quite nervous.
I imagine it quite fun, if theres a stacking debuff like,"waited shortly -3", .".. a while -5", ".. long time -7", "...for days -10". When the doctor arrived, a social task gets started before operation. If succeed, the debuff will be removed, if failed they loose sympathy. Plus on failure theres a small chance on starting a fight :-)
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bolgfred on November 17, 2017, 05:43:52 AM
That's the point! When a pawn goes for medical bed because of a operation, the doctor might come very quick - or not.
When one waits for an operation for a day or two, this might make one quite nervous.
I imagine it quite fun, if theres a stacking debuff like,"waited shortly -3", .".. a while -5", ".. long time -7", "...for days -10". When the doctor arrived, a social task gets started before operation. If succeed, the debuff will be removed, if failed they loose sympathy. Plus on failure theres a small chance on starting a fight :-)

O.M.G. ! you invented bedside manners for Rimworld.

Though there are allready social buffs to operations ( botched my surgery, rescued me .. )
Another debuff could be if wounds don't get treated on time.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.