[α18] Is it intentional Tropical Rainforest has no wild harvestable fruit?

Started by Chibiabos, November 17, 2017, 11:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I've tried a few games on Tropical Rainforest, plenty of trees to chop for wood, but seems a bit strange its foliage-lush but has no wild harvestable food plants (aside from cave mushrooms from maps with caves) nor wild medicine plants.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Mehni

Most likely intended to balance the year round growing and all those animals to hunt.

MikeLemmer

Tropical swamp has the same issue. I agree, it does feel strange.

(And I don't know how well it would balance the year-round growing because even if there were wild fruit, it would only make a difference in the few days before players have fields up & running.)

Songleaves

To be fair, eating plants in the rainforest is generally dangerous. They just have a huge diversity of plants and many are poisonous.

Razzoriel

Quote from: Songleaves on November 17, 2017, 03:08:17 PM
To be fair, eating plants in the rainforest is generally dangerous. They just have a huge diversity of plants and many are poisonous.
There is a reason Africans never really had to have great technology to acquire food.

Modo44

To be fair, forests in all climates contain poisonous plants. This is just another unrealistic for the sake of balance decision. Hey, Tynan, not all biomes have to be equally difficult to play. Variety is fun.

gipothegip

Year round growing would be an odd reason, because you can get arid shrublands and forests with year-round growing.

Furthermore, I was under the impression rainforests were somewhat difficult. I know they get a lot of disease, and they're supposed to be heavily forested and filled with predators (though tbh, I haven't played in the rainforest recently). I don't think healroot and berries would make them too easy, as they come with their own challenges already.

I think it's balancing for the sake of having the rainforest be one of the harder biomes.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?