[1.4] Gerzee Race

Started by Brightsideguy, September 15, 2019, 01:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightsideguy

Gerzee Race

Summary

Adds a strong but timid primitive race with unique eating habits and body structure. Great at nature-based labor and usually no knowledge of combat, but have the physique to be trained into walking tanks. Often brutal backstories, considering how they end up on rimworlds. All original content.

The aim here to add a race that helps space feel like its filled with a wide range of species.

RACE DESCRIPTION

A fairly primitive race, the Gerzee mostly spend their lives foraging for plants, running from large predators, and socializing with the family that have not yet been eaten by those large predators. Though the Gerzee tower in size over most humanoid species, being a fairly small and herbivorous prey species on their home planet means they've evolved to run at the first sign of danger. This timid nature and their comparative strength have made them attractive stock for space slavers, and so the Gerzee slaves (and escaped slaves) have begun showing up on rimworlds.

With their four eyes on top of their flat head, bulky bodies, and large fingers, most humanoid equipment simply doesn't fit the Gerzee physique. And while they can eat plants most humanoids could not, Gerzee cannot eat cooked food. A few glitterworld scientists have guessed that it has something to do with a sensitivity to what heat does to food, but since slavers don't mind feeding their slaves cheap hay, no one has bothered to actually find out why. All they know is that the Gerzee make great cheap slaves, and that those who get past their timid nature can become quite dangerous.

MOD COMPATIBILITY
- Combat Extended Patch (CE) built-in.
-Prepare Carefully locks up and prevents apparel choices (beyond my skills to fix)
- Plant mods: Soybeans, Survivalist Additions, RimCuisine 2 Core.
- Middle-layer strapped vests and loose outer-layer apparel from Combat Extended, Combat Extended Shields, Vanilla Armor Expanded, Vanilla Apparel Expanded (see discussion thread on apparel for full list).
-Large-handled melee weapons and guns with don't use human-finger-sized trigger guards from Vanilla Weapons Expanded, XND Survival Tools, FactionColors, Medieval Madness: Tools of the Trade (see discussion thread on apparel for full list).
-If you want guns from a certain mod to work for these and it fits the lore of what this creature can grab, let me know and I'll add it to what they are allowed to use.

RACE SPECS

• Big, somewhat fast, strong immune system, suited for cold environments.
  • Fast base-speed (~1.2) for natural tasks, such as taming animals, mining, smoothing.
  • Slow base-speed (~0.7) for modern tasks, such as medicine and research.
  • Most are unable to cook or do research.
  • Can eat grass, dandelions, hay, and other plants that humans can't eat, as well as nutrient paste and kibble. Cannot eat meat or cooked meals. No hunger mood-debuff until their nutrition bar is completely empty.
  • Short lifespans (18 years and become adults at 2.5)
  • Multiple children born at once (when using AlienRace-friendly children mods... though currently this must be done through the artificially induced pregnancy medical task).
  • No negative thought for an awful barracks and a mood buff for smaller spaces.
  • Unique set of Gerzee-specific childhood and adulthood backstories.
  • Get even stronger around 13 years old, with increased speed and health.
  • Naturally are 0-skill fighters and are easier to hit due to their size. But are potential walking tanks if trained well, due to the greater HP and brutal fist damage.
  • Can only use "big" weapons (minigun, spear/Ikwa, sword, greatbow, grenades, and rocket launchers). I'll also enable any gun from a mod etc that you can make a good argument for (e.g. a trigger not needing normal hands to use). CE allows LMG since minigun is disabled.
  • Can only fit big or adjustable clothing (duster, parka, warveil, warmask, shieldbelt, and flak gear).
  • Worth a lot of money when being sold as a slave.
  • Three-fingered hands, four-toed feet, four eyes total.

FACTION SPECS

-The Free Gerzee: Peaceful tribe of ex-slaves just trying to get by.
-The Gerzee Wrathful: Violent tribe of escaped slaves who have mentally snapped from years of slavery and are now very willing to harm, well, pretty much everyone. Unlike most Gerzee, they're pretty decent at violence. Small spoiler: See Steam rollover text because I don't know how to do that here.

PRONUNCIATION
G as in good + er + zee

PLANS (and some just-hopes) for the future

-Continuing to add weapons that the Gerzee can use from other mods (please suggest mods / weapons in the suggestions thread!)
-[hope] Have stronger punches transfer to stronger melee weapon attacks as well.
-[Hope] Make it so Gerzee can eat some meat / cooked foods for emergency nutrition, but get food poisoned for doing so.

Author

brightsideguy

License Stuff
Free to modify and throw in a modpack with reference / credit to original author (aka me, brightsideguy). Character design, lore, etc belongs to me (aka no taking it for some other project without asking me about it). Suggestions and ideas more than welcome!

Download

Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783636077&searchtext=gerzee

Github: https://github.com/brightsideguy/Gerzee
My main mod: Gerzee Race

Moo

I love these guys :D

Maybe more variations in head and body shape would be cool, they're kinda bland right now.

Brightsideguy

Quote from: Moo on September 24, 2019, 11:17:05 AM
I love these guys :D

Maybe more variations in head and body shape would be cool, they're kinda bland right now.

Thanks a lot!   

And ya know, solid point.  I'll start looking at adding in some body and head variations. Will take a bit, just since art is my weakest point and the eye stalks are tricky coding-wise.

Brightsideguy

So I've sort of forgotten to post updates here.  So here are some bigger adjustments!

Compatibility added for:

Combat Extended

Combat Extended Shields

Vanilla Armor Expanded

Vanilla Apparel Expanded

Vanilla Weapons Expanded

Soybeans

XND Survival Tools

Generally, if its a large-handled melee weapon or a gun that doesn't use human-finger-sized trigger guards, the Gerzee can fight with it. If its a middle apparel with body straps (aka armor vests) or a loose outer layer of clothing, the Gerzee can wear it. Plus shields.

Specifically (and code-wise), that means the following weapons and apparel are now usable.

<!--Combat Extended-->
<li>Apparel_CompositeVest</li>
<li>Apparel_TribalBackpack</li>
<li>Apparel_Backpack</li>
<li>Apparel_TacVest</li>

<!--Combat Extended shields-->

<li>Apparel_NguniShield</li>
<li>Apparel_WickerShield</li>
<li>Apparel_Scutum</li>
<li>Apparel_KiteShield</li>
<li>Apparel_CrusaderShield</li>
<li>Apparel_RiotShield</li>
<li>Apparel_AssaultShield</li>

<!--Vanilla armor expanded-->

<li>VAE_Apparel_WoodenArmor</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_TribalPoncho</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_TribalKilt</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_PlateShoulderpads</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_BulletproofVest</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_AdvancedVest</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_HAZMATSuit</li>

<!--Vanilla apparel expanded-->

<li>VAE_Apparel_PeltCoat</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_Apron</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_Cape</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_Skirt</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_BuildersJacket</li>
<li>VAE_Apparel_LabCoat</li>

<!--Soybeans mod... soybeans and tofu-->
<li>ZDlbctxJNV</li>
<li>ULAXMmBuga</li>

<!--XND Survival Tools -->
<li>SurvivalTools_ToolBelt</li>

<!--XND Survival Tools-->
<li>SurvivalTools_Axe</li>
<li>SurvivalTools_Pickaxe</li>
<li>SurvivalTools_Hammer</li>
<li>SurvivalTools_Sickle</li>
<li>SurvivalTools_Multitool</li>

<!--Vanilla Weapons expanded-->
<li>VWE_Gun_RocketLauncher</li>
<li>VWE_Gun_FireExtinguisher</li>
<li>VWE_Tool_Whip</li>
<li>VWE_Throwing_Rocks</li>
<li>VWE_Bow_Long</li>
<li>VWE_Gun_ChargeMinigun</li>
<li>VWE_Gun_ChargeRocketLauncher</li>
<li>VWE_MeleeWeapon_Pickaxe</li>
<li>VWE_MeleeWeapon_Hammer</li>
<li>VWE_MeleeWeapon_BattleAxe</li>
<li>VWE_MeleeWeapon_Halberd</li>
<li>VWE_MeleeWeapon_Shovel</li>
<li>VWE_SmokeGrenade</li>
<li>VWE_ToxicGrenade</li>
<li>VWE_FlashGrenade</li>

Apposl

Hi, I am making an attempt at modding but don't have a Steam version. Curious if you'd put this up for download here too? I would like to include eyestalks and your comment on coding for them being tricky intrigued me so much because I'm totally new and trying to learn and do best looking at others who have done similar projects. Anyway they look great!

Brightsideguy

Quote from: Apposl on November 14, 2019, 01:41:01 PM
Hi, I am making an attempt at modding but don't have a Steam version. Curious if you'd put this up for download here too? I would like to include eyestalks and your comment on coding for them being tricky intrigued me so much because I'm totally new and trying to learn and do best looking at others who have done similar projects. Anyway they look great!

Hey!  I responded to your comment on Steam, but never saw a response.   Did you mean for me to put it on GitHub?

atomicbees

Hey, I don't have the steam version too and was wondering if you would upload it on Github. I would be really grateful because this race mod is the only one that sounds interesting to me out of all the other race mods.

Canute

If you don't have steam, but want a workshop mod take a look into the Developer build of RimPy, the offline mod manager.
Together with SteamCMD it allways you comfortable to search and download workshop mods without the use of download websites.

Brightsideguy

Quote from: atomicbees on June 01, 2020, 11:51:27 AM
Hey, I don't have the steam version too and was wondering if you would upload it on Github. I would be really grateful because this race mod is the only one that sounds interesting to me out of all the other race mods.

Will figure out github for you soon!

Brightsideguy

Brightsideguy

Quote from: Brightsideguy on October 24, 2020, 01:51:21 AM
https://github.com/brightsideguy/Gerzee

And there's the non-Steam version!

Github updated to latest Steam version. This means increased diversity of faction pawnkinds and raiding party types, increased likelihood of spawning with dusters in warm weather, Gerzee can no longer be food poisoned, and a small update to the base icons.

Brightsideguy

Updated to 1.4 (and 1.3 way back when).