[1.3] Vegetable Garden Project [10/23/2022]

Started by dismar, November 18, 2017, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

na921004

Quote from: na921004 on March 09, 2018, 06:10:08 PM
Is there a way to allow tamed animals to eat the harvested crops in storage?
I use Smarter Food Selection mod with a custom XML that makes tamed animals prefer eating crops over others.

Is it just because the two mods are incompatible? If I get rid of Food Selection will my animals be able to consume crops from this mod?

Disregard the above reply.
I started a new game with a timber wolf pet and didn't take into account that timber wolves are carnivores, so they never eat crops.
I just got some huskies through an event and they consume crops just fine.

lex1975

It is a pity that mods is not on github.
My plofile:
https://github.com/lex1975

Actual translation mod for 18.5. Russian and English localization files.

app.box.com/s/9mow8f9wgkywthsm7l7h92vadwrldf1j
folder VGP

IWannaChaos

Is it normal for garden tea to have -7 beauty?

ultra4

Almost everything has negative beauty on the floor. That's what shelfs are for... now get yo'food out tha'floor boi

Trigon

To be fair I'm never a fan of food laying around on the floor.

Call me Arty

Nuts.

Now that I (hopefully) have your attention, I love your mod, Dismar. When everything comes down to it, this is my second favorite and most "necessary" mod beneath the allow tool. I really appreciate all of the work and variety you've put into it. I look forward to any and all additions.

That being said, have you considered nuts? Hear me out, I think they'd fit.

• They're found in many climates. Cloudberries, for example, are good in the cold. Similarly, you could happen upon some pine nuts in some. . . well, I don't need to specify the tree. Other notable locations are cashews in jungles, almonds/walnuts in temperate areas, and pecans/pistachios in arid climates. This means that you could have them pretty much anywhere.
  • There's lots of meal-potential. I'm sure it's not a stretch to assume you wouldn't have added wheat had it not been for bread, porridge, or pizza. Similarly, you've got the beloved PB&J, but you don't have to stop there: almond-and-strawberry can be just as delectable. You've already got the berries for jam, where are all of the nuts for butter? Don't forget other things, like trail-mix, snack/survival bars, and various sauces. They also act as beloved parts of some foods already included in the mod, such as pies, salads, and sweet rolls.
  • They last a long time. Fruit will last you days on a trip, a choice few starches might last you a week, what else might you go for? Well, rice and pemmican might outlive you, but neither is particularly tasty. Nuts, however, last months at a time, and are tasty on the spot. Almonds and Pecans are good as-it, whereas a pistachio or peanut might cost you a whole half a second at most. At most, your colonists might be bummed by the lack of salt . . . too bad there's no mod that, say, adds any salt.
  • You added fruits to Vegetable Garden, so I'll be personally offended if nuts are disqualified by a technicality.

I hope you've got the time to consider the idea of a nut-pack, despite the fact that I don't even like the things that much (I just had a eureka moment after realizing they wouldn't fit in vanilla, but be right at home when your contributions). You don't owe me anything and you've got your own life, but I hope that I've done enough to persuade you.

I don't want to push my luck, or spam this post with ideas that take a while to write/read if there's no chance of suggestions making it into the mod, but I've also got some ideas on some crops of the "stronger" variety, namely peppers (I put a lot of thought into them as not just foodstuff, but as ingredients in weapons, defenses, and medicine too), but also things like garlic, onions, horseradish, and mustard, to a lesser extent. They're too "grand" for vanilla, but just interesting enough for this series, or at least I think so.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

actwactw

why does sugar have an expiration date?
and why does it take meat to make pizza?

Call me Arty

Quote from: actwactw on April 11, 2018, 11:48:24 AM
why does sugar have an expiration date?
and why does it take meat to make pizza?

In a perfect world, sugar would last forever. However, it doesn't do so well with moisture, pests, yeast, or the heat. Going stale doesn't just mean "not as chewy".

Meat on pizza? It's because a lot of the most popular pizza flavors have meat on them, it's a topping. Similarly, you can make some kinds of pizza with no sauce or cheese. If you have a personal problem with it, tofu and mushrooms are a viable replacement.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Canute

I think the most common pizza is the Pizza salami and not the Pizza Margarita.
Thats why you need meat of it.

If you got some skills at XML editing, you just could made your own pizza and just duplicate the pizza entry and modify it a bit to fit your toping.

rambo

Call me Arty

Quote from: rambo on April 24, 2018, 09:41:21 AM
can add this to an existing save?

Think it should be fine. As a general rule: Games that don't add new systems (how weapons function, completely alter world generation, new organs on humans, etc). It just adds new crops and recipes.

Suicide-Squirel

love the mod I've been using it since A14 when I got the game. I wanted to bring to your attention a bug I've found that popped up since the 4/28/18 update. The VGP garden drinks mod seems to be conflicting somehow with Kura's extra stone. It's turning all the obsidian on the map to mystery soda. If anyone has an idea as to how to fix it I would love to know. So far mod order doesn't work. Deactivating Garden drinks works but constantly throws errors once it's deactivated and I can't open the drug policy window.

Canute

Did you try to change the modload order ?
But since it is only this one stone you should address it at the extra stone mod too.
Mineable Soda drinks, forgotten from the ancient advanced civilisations :-)
Did you found mineable Larvish meal too ? :-)

dismar

Sorry I've been quite here! I stopped getting notify post.
Been super Busy at work and no time to mod...or game :(

But I do have a super large update! Bunch of bug fixes and balance stuff. A few new items!
This will Probably be my last update for this version of the game!

4/28/18
Fabrics
-jobstrings and recipe names grammmmmmmmmmmer changes
Drinks
-Ambrosia wine added. Drunk and high!
-Ambrosia must added.
Garden
-Cooking skills req adjusted
-Food poinsoning removed from drinks.
Gourmet
-Cooking skill req. added / adjusted

4/24/18
Garden
-Grammmmmmer error in research
Fabrics
-Recipes costs boosted
Drinks
-Industry Barrels finished. 4x at 25% faster
Drugs
-Bulk drugs Intellectual work to match core recipes.

3/3/18
Fabrics
-New blended wool with recipe added to loom.
-Blend Fabrics into cloth recipe.
-Rebalance cloth recipes time.
Drinks
-Mystery Soda recipe added.
-Syrup recipe adjusted.

2/25/18
Garden
-wild biome plants adjusted and now apear again.
-research wild biome plants adjusted.

2/16/18
Garden
-small patch was re-wrote for the butcher table.

matheryn

hey,

Love your mod I always add it to my M A N Y mod packs I create however I do not add the ore generating expansion as I prefer to mine ore but to each his or her own.

One thing though I have noticed you have started to branch out from food to asthetics in your packs and was wondering if you would also consider branching (pun intended lol) out a little further into defense side of things - for instance growing a bramble patch which acts like barb wire fencing but natures version which damaged enermies that pass through it and you could also add a genetically altered venus fly trap that grow larger than the normal version that grabs hold of any enemy that passes too close to it and damages it for x amount of turns till the enemy breaks free or if it doesn't break free the plant kills its victim leaving the victims contents on the ground but no corpse because it was eaten. Another one is you could grow a vine wall that acts like well a wall. Another you could add toxic plants that if an enemy walks near it then its bulbous spore explodes into a toxic poison cloud poisoning any that are in the cloud or pass through it.

These are just a few ideas that I though you might be able to iterate into your plant based theme pack and the accual defence plants could be made into a VGP Defence pack.