Grammar mistakes

Started by Sbilko, November 18, 2017, 01:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbilko

Hi there, I'd like to point out a few grammar mistakes which I detected while playing Rimworld. They've been bothering me since months, so some of them are from previous alphas and I don't know if they have been corrected by now.

Alpha 17b:

1 - "to" is repeated.

2 - "weapon technologies" instead of "weapons technologies"

3 - "she" instead of "She"

4 - I suggest "partying. And" instead of "partying...and"

5 - "His" instead of "his"

6 - I suggest removing "refuse" from there.

7 - I think that the bottom one should be "Someone's organ harvested"

Alpha 16:

8 - "small town" instead of "smalltown"

9 - The author must have meant "town", instead of "township"

Because township means this: http://www.wordreference.com/definition/township

10 - "cell" instead of "celll"

11 - I suggest putting "our" (or "this") between "give" and "community"

12 - I suggest saying: "That ambrosia makes me feel a little bit more relaxed and energetic."

Instead of: "That ambrosia makes me feel a little bit more relaxed, but with more energy too."

Also, if you've seen other grammar mistakes and want to report them, feel free to post them here.

luk3953

I believe some of the backstories you listed are written by players, so they are responsible for the mistakes and I don't think developers can do anything about these. The other ones should definitely be fixed though.

Calahan

Thanks for these. (and hope you don't mind but I've edited your post to add a number before each one to make them a lot easier to reference).

Have you checked these in B18, as I know some of these have been reported and fixed already, plus you make specific mention of A16 and A17. So are these all checked and up-to-date?

Also, several of these are fine IMO, and are neither grammar mistakes nor typos (is English your first language?).

1 - "did whatever they had to to survive" is perfectly fine. There is not a superfluous "to" there.
2 - I think the error there might just be the missing apostrophe in weapon's. Since "weapon technologies" doesn't sound right to me.
3 - Yep, that's a typo.
4 - Is fine.
5 - Yep, that's a typo.
6 - Is correct as it is. "Refuse" in this sense means garbage, waste. "Most first world counties have a refuse collection service". Removing refuse would remove essential context from the sentence because otherwise "heaps" could be a heap of anything, and the reader would wonder how someone sets a heap of stone ablaze?
7 - Yep, that's a typo.
8 - Yep, (I think) that's a typo (depends if smalltown is meant to be the name of somewhere or not, but I doubt it given the rest of the sentence).
9 - Is correct as is IMO.
10 - A typo that has been reported before (so I assume fixed by now for B18)
11 - A typo that (I'm pretty sure) has been reported before (so I assume fixed by now for B18) - Update - Yes, this is fixed by B18.
12 - Seems fine as is to me. The sentence could be reworded but then pretty much every sentence can (although to be honest your suggestion would be worse, sorry).

Sbilko

Quote from: Calahan on November 18, 2017, 03:34:38 PM
Thanks for these. (and hope you don't mind but I've edited your post to add a number before each one to make them a lot easier to reference).

Have you checked these in B18, as I know some of these have been reported and fixed already, plus you make specific mention of A16 and A17. So are these all checked and up-to-date?

Also, several of these are fine IMO, and are neither grammar mistakes nor typos (is English your first language?).

You're welcome. And no, I don't mind your addition. Also, no, English is not my native language, though I'm currently studying English Philology.

No, I haven't checked if these grammar mistakes have been fixed in the newest Beta 18, as I said here:
"They've been bothering me since months, so some of them are from previous alphas and I don't know if they have been corrected by now."

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog