Is there a lore explanation for this?

Started by ruddthree, November 20, 2017, 01:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruddthree

According to this screenshot, this particular pawn has not experienced cryptosleep at all. Not even under a year, her biological and chronological ages are the exact same.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

dburgdorf

Maybe she was a young stowaway, hiding in the bowels of the ship while everyone else went into cryptosleep, and grew up all alone, tended and taught by the ship's automatic systems, writing stories to entertain herself, until the fateful day, a decade later, when the ship crashed....

Not having been in cryptosleep could have given her an advantage in getting to an escape pod quickly. :D

And the fact that she grew up without human interaction could explain why she's a psychopath, too.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

OFWG

Quote from: dburgdorf on November 20, 2017, 01:34:36 PM
Maybe she was a young stowaway, hiding in the bowels of the ship while everyone else went into cryptosleep, and grew up all alone, tended and taught by the ship's automatic systems, writing stories to entertain herself, until the fateful day, a decade later, when the ship crashed....

Not having been in cryptosleep could have given her an advantage in getting to an escape pod quickly. :D

And the fact that she grew up without human interaction could explain why she's a psychopath, too.

That explanation fits right in with her picture too. Plus she spent her time alone writing stories for herself. O.o
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Vlad0mi3r

Awesome colonist too hope you too her along.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

jamaicancastle

It could also be that she was picked up on a planet/orbital/space station within the system, right before the crash (in case you run into a CS-less colonist who isn't so... maladjusted). If I were running a ship like this I'd want to make sure I'd thoroughly explored the possibilities for profit in one system before moving on to the next.

ruddthree

Apparently, I made a huge mistake by not selecting her...oops.

OFWG

Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Shurp

On the topic of lore explanations... one thing I dislike about the Rimworld story is that the colonists hear the ship exploding and run to the escape pods.  I think it makes much more sense to imagine that the ship blew up decades or centuries ago, spewing frozen colonists into orbit like so many dandelion seeds, whose orbits slowly decay and enter the atmosphere one by one...

... which explains why there's so many people on this planet already.  They're the descendants of those who landed before your colonists!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

Quote from: OFWG on November 21, 2017, 01:51:11 AM
Quote from: ruddthree on November 20, 2017, 08:54:24 PM
Apparently, I made a huge mistake by not selecting her...oops.

You monster.

You what?? i hope shes okay :( Mood debuff -5

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Bozobub

Amusingly enough, psychotics make some of the best colonists, overall ^^'.  Human meat?  No problem *burrrp*...  Everyone just died gruesomely?  No problem, I'M still comfy!
Thanks, belgord!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Shurp on November 21, 2017, 07:55:06 PMI think it makes much more sense to imagine that the ship blew up decades or centuries ago, spewing frozen colonists into orbit like so many dandelion seeds, whose orbits slowly decay and enter the atmosphere one by one...

That... is absolutely brilliant. I may modify the intro text of my "Colonization Crash Course" scenario to reflect this idea. ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Shurp on November 21, 2017, 07:55:06 PM
On the topic of lore explanations... one thing I dislike about the Rimworld story is that the colonists hear the ship exploding and run to the escape pods.  I think it makes much more sense to imagine that the ship blew up decades or centuries ago, spewing frozen colonists into orbit like so many dandelion seeds, whose orbits slowly decay and enter the atmosphere one by one...

... which explains why there's so many people on this planet already.  They're the descendants of those who landed before your colonists!

Although, you can also consider that this did happen; however, the section of ship your colonists occupy is still partially intact until something damages it. Thus causing your colonists to wake up and rush to escape pod, not fully realizing they have been adrift for years.
Life is Strange

ruddthree

Introduced in B18, you choose your three colonists out of eight. I think this is fitting, as it would lead one to beleiv that only three pods are working, or three can only be ejected before the ship explodes.