Rimworld: Another Excellent Game with the Ultimate Flaw.

Started by Edmon, November 20, 2017, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britnoth

Which is a change from a predictable benefit, to one entirely governed by RNG. Shooting inspiration and no raids arrive? Move speed bonus on someone sitting in the research room every day? Work speed bonus on the village idiot who does nothing but haul and clean the base?

Last update massively nerfed the beauty of everything except art, to encourage the player to make art to keep their rooms looking good. Now you remove the benefit to having mood above the level required to avoid a mental break. No one has the wealth to place art every 10 tiles along the corridors; the whole point of it was to make individual work rooms better to increase work rate. No more.

This is such a backwards step, it surely proves that the devs make some changes with zero understanding how the game actually plays, or how to reward good play over making us just pray to RNGesus.

PS. Currently feeding a 19 pawn colony plus storing pemmican for future caravan work with just 1 cooking stove. The key is to have non cooks bringing you the raw food.

Renegrade

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 22, 2017, 10:49:37 PM
Mood doesn't affect global work rate any more except through inspiration.

What?  That wasn't in the patch notes.  I'm checking in game -> confirmed.  No longer has an effect.

I'm not cool with that if it's intentional.

SpaceDorf

Have I understood the "ultimate flaw" correctly, that it is the depiction of time in a game in comparison to real time ?

And that the difference between fighting and working are just to extreme.

As a solution, would it make sense to switch to a different timeframe during combat ?
Combat Time Ticks are measured in minutes instead of hours.
Production can still happen in this timeframe but is slowed down accordingly to avoid abuse.

For the cooking example the best way to avoid the timing flaw is the use of bulk production.
Which is also the most realistic way to do things.

To avoid making it to easy on the player this could be counteracted by higher requirements, bigger stoves, addons to the kitchen and/or more production steps, that enables more pawns to work on the same product at the same time.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Disnof

A few things could be done to help out this problem. However, I feel this is a very small issue as there are many things the player can do to mitigate these issues with how you set up the base and production.

Edmon

Quote from: Disnof on November 23, 2017, 04:14:13 PM
A few things could be done to help out this problem. However, I feel this is a very small issue as there are many things the player can do to mitigate these issues with how you set up the base and production.

If by "small issue" you mean the potential gains in terms of productive use of the day are overwhelmingly in favour of a complete and utter focus on movement excluding basically everything else short of a mental break then yes, that is a small issue.

Disnof

Well that is just what part of the meta of rimworld is, base layout is extremely important. Someone new will struggle with certain aspects of the game until they figure it out and set their base up differently.

Take cooking "WTF i need 4 cooks to feed 20 people?" Then they set things up different and bam 1 guy is feeding 20. "Why is my guy bleeding to death isn't the medic on it??" maybe build a medic room with medicine in it so the medic doesn't run 20 miles for it.

I am not sure what you want there is a game called Factorio. It bring the stuff to you on belts.. is that what you want? If so I think they got a mod for that...

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Disnof on November 24, 2017, 05:26:49 AM
Well that is just what part of the meta of rimworld is, base layout is extremely important.

Take cooking "WTF i need 4 cooks to feed 20 people?" Then they set things up different and bam 1 guy is feeding 20. "Why is my guy bleeding to death isn't the medic on it??" maybe build a medic room with medicine in it so the medic doesn't run 20 miles for it.

The flaw with this logic is, that it leaves only one perfect solution while every other solution makes you lose the game in some way.

Sure having a Hospital with Medicine available is a good thing. And having a kitchen setup that follows the rules of common sense is also good.
But if the definition of close by has to be "no less than two tiles, else movement slowes the progress to much" there is something wrong.

Having a Butcher Table and Stove directly Facing each other, while the raw product gets dumped directly on the cook .. I fail to see the common sense in this design ..

Disnof

Can we have no pride in finding THE BEST SET UP?

I wouldn't put my butcher table in the same room as my cooking thats barbaric! The butcher table is dirty and butchering now causes blood!

Who says you need everything optimal? I haven't used a kill box in about a month. Sometimes optimal is boring.

Edmon

Quote from: Disnof on November 24, 2017, 06:03:50 AM
Can we have no pride in finding THE BEST SET UP?

I wouldn't put my butcher table in the same room as my cooking thats barbaric! The butcher table is dirty and butchering now causes blood!

Who says you need everything optimal? I haven't used a kill box in about a month. Sometimes optimal is boring.

The "best set up" is not something you can have any pride in when it's obviously the design that minimizes movement, usually to a single tile at most.

Your right, optimal is boring. In this game, optimal is extremely boring and extremely obvious.

That is the issue, in a nutshell.

Disnof

It is a sandbox base builder game. You do what you want. All I can say is they have a mod for that.

Jibbles

I've experimented with different base designs and I rarely make my plans on the most efficient method, sometimes I even go for the opposite just cause.  Most of the time, my colony doesn't fail due to those decisions.  Sure, it would've been easier using the most efficient method but it's not at all necessary unless you're playing on ice sheets or something. I think the flaw here is how you're approaching it. 

There are some drawbacks.  You may need more resources for your design, or don't use power efficiently, and of course the time it takes for your pawns to get to places etc. I don't feel constraint at all. I guess the difference here is that I accept these small drawbacks or challenges. TBH most are quite manageable.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Disnof on November 24, 2017, 06:20:35 AM
It is a sandbox base builder game. You do what you want. All I can say is they have a mod for that.

Nope .. none that I know of ..

Edmon

Quote from: Disnof on November 24, 2017, 06:20:35 AM

You don't just "do what you want" though do you? The need to optimise movement is too constraining for that.

At a small field base, the stockpile is off to the side somewhere out the way, in real life right? But in Rimworld, it's always, always, always in the dead centre of the base like some sort of demented courtyard. It has every building facing it like it's some sort of place of worship. At least until you have really effective systems and peons with individual stockpiling.

The importance of Movement is needlessly limiting.

Kirby23590

Uhhhh....

I know i didn't read anything... but... all i can say is this...

Nothing is perfect. No game or movie nor any media is perfect, anything that you like and your favorite show or food always has a flaw in the script or in how it tastes like and as always nothing is perfect and everything has a flaw. As long as we can live with it.

That's all i can say...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Jibbles

You're still looking at what is most optimal... You can have several stockpiles all around your base.  You can have one massive stockpile if you wish plus many more options.  You make it sound like your game ends or a total struggle if you don't do what's most optimal but that is not the case.  There is not a NEED for it... I've had bases where I would use friggin drop pods to get around.

EDIT: I should mention I haven't played too much of 18.  A17 pathfinding was broken yet movement and getting things done still wasn't an issue.