Tornado

Started by Shurp, November 21, 2017, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So I just got hit by my first tornado, and I'm uncertain about whether I enjoyed the experience or not.  I did find that it made having the trading spot mod absolutely essential, because the tornado decided to target the very spot a visiting trading caravan was standing.  By moving the spot I was able to get them safely out of the way.  I was also able to recruit my colonists and get them to run away as well.

But my structures got beat up pretty badly.  I like the idea that the bigger your base is the more damage it will do.  But I dislike that there's not much you can do to reinforce it.  Stone walls hold up fine (like they should) but the stuff inside the walls just gets obliterated which makes no sense.  Can't we have some sort of reinforced roofs?  Or maybe anything within 2 squares of a standing wall with a roof automatically is safe?  This way you could build lots of pillars to protect the important stuff inside.  Also this way your colonists could flee to a safe room -- having them run away *outside* is completely ridiculous, but right now it's the safest thing to do!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

dearmad

Why on earth would ypu get them safely out of the way?

Let em all die and take their stuff!

Make them CHASE the tornado by putting the spot in harm's way!

Amateur...

Shurp

Because killing them and taking their stuff is too easy?  And I like having good relationships with my neighbors?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

More important info are, that the tornade is aiming the trading spot.

Why should the tornado doing this, except there is a weather control research.

You maybe should mention this at the bug section.

Tynan

Yeah, we talked about this recently. We're gonna cut the tornado as a random event and make it a one-use superweapon a la the orbital targeters (tornado generator).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Tynan on November 22, 2017, 02:20:18 AM
Yeah, we talked about this recently. We're gonna cut the tornado as a random event and make it a one-use superweapon a la the orbital targeters (tornado generator).

Is this sarcasm? ???
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Albion

It's good to hear that you decided to cut the tornado as a random event. It is an interesting idea but it's just way too destructive and could wipe out half your base with no way to mitigate the damage. The storyteller basically comes in, smashes your sand castle and goes: "Next time better build under a mountain or I will randomly stomp you again and destroy your food supply, components, expensive stuff or all of the above. Enjoy the infestations I will spawn in your bedroom."
It's kind of the difference between punishing and challenging. Raids and toxic fallout are challenging. Tornadoes are just punishing.
Keeping them alive as a super weapon is a good idea though and maybe there will be mods that bring back tornadoes as random events.

Kirby23590

Hmm...

Interesting, i'm looking forward into a tornado becoming a super-weapon that you can summon to wreck the enemy base with, but don't know what the event will be replace with though, since i know how to deal with toxic fallouts since my noob days and they are meant to be a challenge.

Torandos are somewhat RNG hoping that it doesn't go to your base and destroy the important buildings and items there which otherwise is almost impossible to repair and to rebuilt with.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

When tornados become or stay at this big treat, i bet some modder will tinker some countermease against them sooner or later.

Like a building that need to powerup and generate an anti-spinning counter tornade to intercept the incomming one to neutralize or send it back to the mapborder.

Or some vortex bomb that create an implosion or a fuel-air bomb with an explosion, if they are big enough both should be able to kill the tornado.

Elixiar

I beg you. PLEASE don't straight up cut it. At least make it an option in the scenario or the options menu.

I actually like that something could decimate my colony outside of a raid...
*Frantically rushes to download B18 before a hot fix comes out*
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Shurp

I dunno, I actually liked the event itself.  It was a good challenge to survive and rebuild.

And knowing Cassandra, it would be hilarious for her to add a tornado to a pirate raid.

I think it just needs adjusting so it only damages the colony instead of obliterating whatever it touches.

Bozzarr

Instant lore behind such targeter.
-Derelict and rarely used orbital beam satelites that float aroud the planet.
-Detorioration of lenses makes them unusable as intended and those are abandoned yet they still orbit the planet.
-Orbital targeter can still make them shoot beams at the ground but they just dont have enough juice to be as powerful as brand new satelites of this type. Once fired they loose all the power and need centuries to recharge again(solar panels also detoriorated)
-Weakened orbital beam is not lethal but still manages to heat up the air in the area (creating upward draft) enough for sand devil or tornado to form.

ps. Purely cosmetic sand devils would be nice on arid/desert biomes.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Shurp on November 22, 2017, 04:02:31 PM
I dunno, I actually liked the event itself.  It was a good challenge to survive and rebuild.
Me too. despite what i said though it provides a dangerous situation to act before addressing the situation in the game, though it's freaking hilarious when it comes tearing everything apart in it's path indiscriminately. Kind of sad that unlike in RL or what i saw in the cartoons, tornados picking up cows and trees and throwing them everywhere. I wanna see raiders and muffalos being sucked into the tornado and then thrown around over the map and it will be freaking funny  ;D

Though however it is kind of impossible to code into the game unfortunately...  :'(

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to code.  Artillery already has a graphic to lob something from one place to another.  So we just create a "cow" artillery shell/graphic which creates a mangled cow on impact.

C'mon modders, get to it! :)