Tornado

Started by Shurp, November 21, 2017, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

The Tornado ended-up hosting a Whinefest.

At first, it would reap through mountains and players complained it was unrealistic and that it should be nerfed.

Then, when the tornado version 3 came out, nobody complained it was unrealistic that you can literally box-in a tornado with stone walls.

Now, a lot of players cry how much damage it costs.... but don't say anything if it is only devastating when thrown by players towards enemies.

The original tornado, was fine. The real problem, were only the noob players who just "can't take a hit".

My tornado just pinballed passing by my rooms in an open base without outer walls and it was extremely lame.

Canute

Each base design got pro's and contra's.
Looks like your open decentral base is better tornado proofed then a compact bunker.

PSS

I think Tornado version 1 is good. But there should be tornado warning 1-2 hour prior actual tornado. May be even with exact trajectory. So you'll have time to evacuate pawns, but not buildings/items/etc.

Bolgfred

This hit the basic problem of tornados piercing the roofs, could be that Every damage which would be caused to a roof tile is taken by the nearest wall tile, making large room more vulnerable to tornados than small ones.
By this there would be a simple option that counter the tornado effect.
For the fünf effect, when a tornado hits an open door, every furniteinside
Gets uninstalled or damaged as long as the door is within tornado range :-))
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

giannikampa

Decision has been taken (and i really am impressed Tynian shared his intentions about the matter), so this of mine is just an opinion.
Tornado is hated becaus it is very distructive and not that counterable. So why not just nerf its power so it does not 100% destroys furniture and people (on people it has already been adjusted to be non letal), just less damage per second than actual.
So a tornado hitting on a costructed thing breaks it and you have to use a repairer and a component to fix it back. If you are very unlucky and the tornado double trample the same thing it may be destroyed because of further loss of HP. But this would be so much more acceptable as an incident.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

eadras

I liked the original tornado.  Recovering from a "hand of God" natural disaster and mourning the lost was a great storytelling mechanism.  Although I understand why many players didn't like it, they could easily have disabled the event in the scenario editor.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: eadras on November 23, 2017, 08:38:01 AM
I liked the original tornado.  Recovering from a "hand of God" natural disaster and mourning the lost was a great storytelling mechanism.  Although I understand why many players didn't like it, they could easily have disabled the event in the scenario editor.

YES!!! Exactly that!

Now all players who are "Challenge takers" are now left with half a game... all because of some baby cries.

mumblemumble

Couldn't you instead make the tornado perhaps check for walls / ceilings within 2 tiles of the tornado, and if so, do no damage, but remove ceilings / damage walls? This way tornados would still be dangerous, but an overpassing tornado won't be an immediate threat to items inside

Anyways I'm for keeping the tornado honestly, but just make it an event reserved for knee capping especially well established people. Its op kinda, but some players are op aren't they?

The problem is, yes it has no counter, but some players need a threat with no hard counter..
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.