No Audio Through USB Headset

Started by Adrestia, November 22, 2017, 05:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrestia

[Update 11.26] Changed Title. Not sure bug has anything to do with toggling from speaker to headset or vice versa.
What the circumstances were.
Before launching Rimworld from Steam, I change my audio from headphones to speaker in the Windows (10) toolbar.

What happened.
When I launched the game there was no audio at all.
I went to options and checked to make sure no settings were muting the game and no keybinds would inadvertently mute the game.
I checked other programs and confirmed audio through my headset and speakers worked.
I disabled all audio devices not my headset or speaker
I relaunched the game between every attempt
I uninstalled and reinstalled the game
I removed the Psychology, Heat Map, and Brigello mods
I added the Animal Logic mod

What you expected to happen.
I always look for the taletell music and icon clicks. Nothing I tried reset the audio

Steps we can follow to make the bug appear on our machine. This part is important! We need a set of steps which we can follow to get the same results you're seeing. Ideally you'll test these steps to make sure they work from scratch.

Before launching Rimworld from Steam, I change my audio from headphones (default playback device) to speaker in the Windows (10) toolbar.

Savegame file
It's very helpful to include a savegame, especially when you have trouble reproducing the bug.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Your log contains the following error, and appears to be in relation to your sound issue.

FMOD failed to initialize the output device, attempting to initialize the null output.

Have you tried disconnecting your headphones/headset? As another user a few weeks ago was experiencing a crash because RimWorld could not use his sound device, and the cause and solution was to disconnect his (Bose) headphones, start RimWorld, and then reconnect the headphones. If that doesn't work then please try disconnecting both your headset and speakers, starting RimWorld, and then reconnecting them.

Adrestia

[Update 11.26] Added Output log
I have a Razer Kraken Chroma headset. When I unplug both and relaunch then replug, I get no audio. If  I unplug just the headset, launch the game, the audio comes through easily on the speakers. when I reconnect the headphones, I don't get audio.

Canute

But you can hear windows sounds/musik over the headset ?

Basicly you just need to switch at windows the default output from speakers to headset.
At Rimworld you can't select any soundoutput device it use the default from windows.

Adrestia

Yes, sound from the system, browsers, and Blizzard's games come through. Oxygen not included is working fine as well.
My Headset is set to my default device.

I did update my drivers through Nvidia GeForce. Synapse is up to date as well.

Canute

Ok, next idea.
When you run Rimworld, then switch to the default sound to headset.
Open the sound mixer (not sure how it is called in engl.), right click at the windows volume symbol at the tray bar, the first entry.
Check if Rimworld isn't muted or got volumed down.

Adrestia

I decided to try asking Razer support. They ran me through some stuff and here's what seems to have happened.

I had some virtual speakers for running virtual audio through discord. They had me disable those. Shut down all razer tasks in my task window, restart synapse and calibrate.

I relaunched Rimworld and Voila! Success. Transcript attached for posterity.

Calahan

Good to hear you were able to resolve this issue. Sounds lie Razer has some pretty good customer support going on. And thank you as well for the continued and final update. It helps a lot when people post to let us know an issue has been resolved, and especially if they provide the detail on how.

Moving this to support now as it's not a game bug.

@ Canute - Thanks for the help here. Much appreciated.