Chemifuel Generator + Hydroponic Rice = LOTS AND LOTS OF FREE POWER?

Started by dkmoo, November 23, 2017, 11:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmoo

Is my food-coma post Turkey brain playing trick on me or is there's a massive hole in my math that i'm not thinking of? Hear me out:

1) the new Chemifuel generator sips 4 fuel per day for 1000W power. 4 chemi fuel per day = 8 rice per day.
2) 1 hydroponic produces roughly 8 rice per day (2.5 hydros are usually enough to feed 1 person, or 20 rice per day. 20/2.5 = 8 )
3) 1 Sunlamp, 5 heaters, 24 hydroponics, and 2 refineries require roughly 5000W power, or 5 generators.

SO... doesnt this mean that with this set up, you'd either A) get about 19 self-powered hydroponics, or B) even crazier, build 19 more generators for a whopping 19000W of self-sustaining power???

I know with 19 generators you'll probably need a few more refineries and maybe a few full-time fuel makers.. but still... that's 19000K of free power...

I'm going home now to test it on my base by someone please tell me I failed to consider something here b/c otherwise.. o man.. all that free power....

EDIT: in fact, throw in a couple of kitchens and convert the rice into meal first (i know, more man power needed) but that will DOUBLE total chemifuel yield for 40000+W..  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Snownova

Not free, you still need to put pawns to work converting that rice into chemfuel, and the hauling at the various stages.

Granted, it is much more efficient than wood fired generators, more convenient and scalable than geothermal, but I wouldn't call it "free".

Albion

I think that's actually quite okay and intended.
You need all the people to take care of the supply chain.
You need a lot of components to actually build all that stuff.
Higher difficulty will heavily reduce harvesting yield making it less efficient.
Last but not least: solar flares will ruin your day by killing everything currently sitting in hydroponics.

Disnof

Now you expect a video game to respect the laws of thermodynamics? Yes free power baby :)

Chibiabos

Not sure if you're aware, but colony-owned Boomalopes can now get milked regularly to produce Chemfuel directly.  That's free Chemfuel there.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Hans Lemurson

This sounds like a much easier way to violate Thermodymanics than my attempt at growing Trees in a Wood-Generator powered Greenhouse.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Shurp

Man, and here I was complaining that sunlamps didn't throw off enough heat.  But what's a pesky 2nd Law violation compared to the monster 1st Law violation you found?

OK, we have to complete the trifecta.  Someone find a map with a winter temperature below -273'C (-460'F).  Go!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

Since my last playthrough in A17 and finishing it. I had a problem with the freezer being filled with lots of veggies, rice and potatoes meaning i can't fit meat anywhere there and my yorkie farm and meat eating animals were starting to starve because i need meat to make kibble for them and the freezer running out of space quickly. Because i had two large rice farms or just too much farm in general.

I should try this out someday in B18... With the all new chemfuel content and stuff going on. :)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on November 24, 2017, 07:53:22 AM
This sounds like a much easier way to violate Thermodymanics than my attempt at growing Trees in a Wood-Generator powered Greenhouse.
Your problem are, the game don't throw in all aspects of the thermodynamics.
I don't see any aspects that violate the laws.
The fueled or chemfueled generator don't produce energy from nothing.

The only aspect we could discuss that meals are a better refine sóurce then raw resources.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 24, 2017, 08:59:58 AM
Since my last playthrough in A17 and finishing it. I had a problem with the freezer being filled with lots of veggies, rice and potatoes meaning i can't fit meat anywhere there and my yorkie farm and meat eating animals were starting to starve because i need meat to make kibble for them and the freezer running out of space quickly. Because i had two large rice farms or just too much farm in general.

I should try this out someday in B18... With the all new chemfuel content and stuff going on. :)

YOU.

THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Kirby23590

So this is what happened to my yorkie skin farm!

Whoopsie. Actually i threw one person in space while the others stay in the colony. I Guess that's what happened when i sold some of them to the traders ;D

I blame Jesse my earthling colonist and his family joining the pirates and the raiders...

EDIT:Fix some of the grammar and typos

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

dkmoo

First, Disclaimer: I have no issue with this "free power" set up, i think it adds to the quirky/wackiness of the Rimworld story.

That said, let me channel my inner physics nerd for $hits-and-giggles to show hands-down this is a giant violation of the First Law. Conservation of energy be damned!

1) in the original post's set up, 1 sunlamp, 2 refinery, 24 hydroponics, 5 heaters can be powered by 5 generators and yields about 190 rice per day (factoring in "harvest failed" and other random losses)
2) 190 rice yields 95 Chemifuel a day.
3) 5 generators burn 20 chemifuel a day, creating a net 75 chemifuel extra.
4) you may argue that "well you will need to dedicate pawns with the extra haulling/refininig, etc.. that's cost too. Ok well, assuming in this wacky rimworld that the kinetic energy of "pawn activity" can be converted 100% into potential energy stored in rice chemifuel, then we can add 3 pawns in a 24 hour shifts dedicated only to hauling/refining in this system, which should be enough to cover the labor need (conservative estimate). Throw in a electric kitchen too if you want, the power requirement from that won't cause a dent in equationt
5) so, adding in 3 pawns costs another 60 rice per day, which still nets 45 extra chemifuel per day - converting that into 11 extra generators yields an extra 11,000W of power generation

There you have it - total energy input per day, including pawn activity, is 100 rice per day (40 goes to the 20 chemifuel to power 5 generators to cover the energy needs of this system, and 60 goes to make 6 meals to feed 3 full time pawns working this system). Total energy output = 190 rice per day. Net positive 90 rice = 45 chemifuel = 11 power generator = 11,000W of free power that came from nothing.

For additional $hits and giggles: Add in a 4th pawn for full-time meal duty to use meals to convert into chemifuel:

1) 190 Rice - 80 rice for the pawns = extra 110 Rice = 11 extra simple meals = .85 nutrition per meal * 10 chemfuel per nutrition *11 simple meals  = 93 chemfuels
2) 93 chemfuels - 20 chemfuel for the 5 generators to power the system = 73 extra chemfuel = 18 extra generators = 18,000W extra power.

Rudolf Clausius and William Thomson (Kelvin) must be rolling in their graves.
8) 8) 8)

Bozobub

Quote from: Shurp on November 24, 2017, 08:53:39 AM
Man, and here I was complaining that sunlamps didn't throw off enough heat.  But what's a pesky 2nd Law violation compared to the monster 1st Law violation you found?

OK, we have to complete the trifecta.  Someone find a map with a winter temperature below -273'C (-460'F).  Go!
I'll just leave this here: https://www.livescience.com/25959-atoms-colder-than-absolute-zero.html
Thanks, belgord!

Canute

Quote11,000W of free power that came from nothing.
Place solar panels,wind turbines or Ship reactor core and you have real free power from nothing, because these all don't need some input made from pawns.

But even this isn't true, because the power isn't from nothing, it just comes from outside your watching perspective.
From your perspecitve each plant growing is generating matter out of nothing.

But your calculation is a nicely down, could you just try to calculate it with boomalopes?
Feeding with haygrass from hydroponics.