[B18] Ship Parts Refactored (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, November 24, 2017, 05:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Compatibility
In theory, this should work with the 'Save Our Ship' mod. This hasn't been tested though.

Other mods should work fine.

Download
GitHub
Steam

Like this mod? Check out my other mods here!

Overview
Ship Parts Refactored (SPR) changes the vanilla escape ship parts in three ways.

First Off: SPR reverts the Ship Reactor, Structural Beam, Ship Engine and Computer Core back to their pre-B18 sizes, since their resizing makes their existing textures look stretched out and generally quite ugly. The Sensor Cluster which was introduced with B18 has also been shrunk to 1x1 to match the Computer Core.

Secondly: Ship part flammability has been reduced from 100% to 10%. Seriously, this ship is meant to be able to survive re-entering a planet's atmosphere; if it were completely flammable, it'd disintegrate into dust from the moment that it enters the atmosphere and starts burning up. Also, something that's mostly made of steel and plasteel shouldn't have the flammability of wood in general.

Finally: Costs for the ship parts have generally been significantly cut down. As it stands in vanilla Beta 18, there's generally quite a lengthy and therefore tedious resource grind to get the required materials for the spaceship parts; this is neither necessary or engaging in the slightest and unnecessarily stretches out the end-game. This mod significantly cuts down that need to grind.

Ship parts will still generally be expensive compared to other structures of their size, meaning that they're still by no means ridiculously cheap. The table below is a comparison between vanilla ship part costs and the refactored costs:

Credits
Granitecosmos for feedback with some of the balancing.
Marnador for their great work with the RImWorld-style font.

License
You may use this mod in your mod packs, and you may also derive from the mod. All that I ask is that you please let me know, and give me credit and provide a link to this forum post.

SpaceDorf

Thanks to your mod I actually want to build the spaceship now.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

MechanoidHater

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on November 24, 2017, 05:14:52 AM
Thanks to your mod I actually want to build the spaceship now.

Thanks!

Quote from: MechanoidHater on November 24, 2017, 06:25:46 AM
What happend to the github link?

Ran out of time while setting this up. I'll work on it now.

XeoNovaDan

MercuryDoll

Any chance the engines required can be lowered to 2 instead of 3?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: MercuryDoll on January 26, 2018, 11:06:02 PM

At what point is it acceptable to just spawn another one in from dev mode? ;)

MercuryDoll

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 26, 2018, 11:52:45 PM
Quote from: MercuryDoll on January 26, 2018, 11:06:02 PM

At what point is it acceptable to just spawn another one in from dev mode? ;)
Never, because whether you build it or spawn it, it breaks symmetry either way. #aestheticsmatter

Vlad0mi3r

Yes but you can build 4 engines.

Xeo you are one of the best thankyou so much for giving us the opportunity to keep building the ships we love.

Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Harry_Dicks

I've never taken off from the planet. I like to think that my colonists have figured out that it isn't gonna be much better for them elsewhere, compared to the paradise I've made for them!

XeoNovaDan

@Vlad0m13r - Glad this has improved the ship-building experience for you!