"Permanent Summer" zone gets Volcanic Winter + Cold Snap

Started by Chibiabos, November 24, 2017, 07:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

Even Phoebe Chillax gets a bit Randy Random sometimes. :P

(Not attempting to report as a bug, I know its working as designed -- for you new guys, challenging chaos is an intentional feature)
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Canute

Similar can happen on a permafrost area,
when you got hit by a heatwave and all your meat is rotting because you storage room isn't cold enough anymore and you didn't build cooler.

Kirby23590

I had this happen to me back in the day living the tropical rain forest with a cold snap happening.

If your dealing with a cold snap i recommend chopping alot of trees and if you have alot of wood build campfires in everyone's bedrooms and high traffic areas i.e the dinning room for example.

For the opposite the heat waves. I would have passive coolers researched and do basically the same thing but replace camp fires with passive coolers instead though heat waves can melt your freezer and eat away your food supplies if didn't built alot of coolers though.

But in late game you should probably have heaters and coolers everyone's room and the dinning room by now.  ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Chibiabos

I had oodles of wood and quite a few heaters, but the destruction of all my farming and the migration away of all the wild animals except a few bears and wargs has made it quite challenging, as well as having to suddenly rapidly craft parkas for everyone.  This was on tropical rainforest.

The cold snap has ended, though the Volcanic Winter remains; temperatures are hovering around +5C, so not freezing, but crops and lack of wild animals are an issue.  Having to organize groups to hunt down the bears and wargs, was really hoping to tame them when my handlers got skilled enough, but my prisoners, visitors (Hospitality mod) and colonists are starving.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Chibiabos on November 24, 2017, 10:25:43 AM
I had oodles of wood and quite a few heaters, but the destruction of all my farming and the migration away of all the wild animals except a few bears and wargs has made it quite challenging, as well as having to suddenly rapidly craft parkas for everyone.  This was on tropical rainforest.

The cold snap has ended, though the Volcanic Winter remains; temperatures are hovering around +5C, so not freezing, but crops and lack of wild animals are an issue.  Having to organize groups to hunt down the bears and wargs, was really hoping to tame them when my handlers got skilled enough, but my prisoners, visitors (Hospitality mod) and colonists are starving.

You might want to get and research hydroponics and build a room for it in a volcanic winter ASAP. Make sure your hydroponics room is warm and put a few heaters in there but two or maybe three heaters should be enough.

If you have any animals like let's say two pigs or tamed wild boars that's a male and a female. You can wait for the mother pig/boar give birth to babies and slaughter them for meat. They might starve but food from the hydroponics should keep them feed if they are omnivores or herbivorous if they are not wargs ( meat eaters only )

i hope it was helpful.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 24, 2017, 10:40:57 AM
You might want to get and research hydroponics and build a room for it in a volcanic winter ASAP. Make sure your hydroponics room is warm and put a few heaters in there but two or maybe three heaters should be enough.

If you have any animals like let's say two pigs or tamed wild boars that's a male and a female. You can wait for the mother pig/boar give birth to babies and slaughter them for meat. They might starve but food from the hydroponics should keep them feed if they are omnivores or herbivorous if they are not wargs ( meat eaters only )

i hope it was helpful.

I'm a long way from having hydroponics.

Fortunately, you just sent me a pack of manhunter Yorkies.  Korean barbeque soon.

Hans Lemurson

You can grow your crops in Greenhouses built over soil; no need to bother with hydroponics.

In fact you can even do it without sunlamps.  A room with less than 1/4 of its roof missing is still considered "indoors".  Heat it up, and you can grow warm-weather crops under the open sky.  It will leak heat like a sieve, but space-heaters are really very powerful.  The rest of the building can be used as a temperature-controlled workshop.  You could even knock holes in the ceilings of existing buildings to convert a portion of their floorspace to cropland.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 24, 2017, 09:24:51 AM
I had this happen to me back in the day living the tropical rain forest with a cold snap happening.
One thing that's troubled me is why a tropical biome should be bothered (or even recieve) a 'cold snap' event (likewise for inverse ofc) WRT farmed arables

For instance, my recent game at the equator had 'permanent summer'. It was hilly, but not so much that altitude would affect the growing cycle. Even when suffering thru a 'cold snap' temp remained above 10C, yet my fields were destroyed due to 'bad temperature' :( Likewise, pawns had issues WRT temp despite their gear

I'm fine with local temperatures having an effect on /local/ plant/wildlife, but extreme temp shifts in the above scenario make little sense IMO. As there is no native (wild) cotton, wheat, rice etc the seeds could be assumed to have reasonable temp tolerance within the assorted biomes (simple cross-fertilisation or genetic engineering (same thing but quicker)..

FWIW I'd quite like to see some sort of local (flash?) flooding event in cold biomes struck by a heat wave (resulting in temp boggy marsh maybe?); likewise the inverse for hot biomes: eg temp desertification for random map tiles..
Dom 8-)

Dashthechinchilla

Funny, I just had a wipe on a tribal randy rough.  Tropical rainforest. Cold snap, heavy snow. Three pawns with malaria. Second raid, no warm gear. At least the cold snap ended when my last pawn fell.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Snafu_RW on November 24, 2017, 08:15:51 PM
I'm fine with local temperatures having an effect on /local/ plant/wildlife, but extreme temp shifts in the above scenario make little sense IMO.

IRL, cold snaps have struck tropical environments, like Florida and, yeah, has done tremendous crop damage when it does.