"Randomize seed" button sometimes requires multiple clicks

Started by BTAxis, November 24, 2017, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTAxis

This report is about the "Randomize seed" button for custom scenarios.

Sometimes clicking the button does not generate a new seed. It can take as many as 4 clicks for it to actually work.
"The megasloth ducked behind the nearest piece of cover"

Calahan

Can you please provide some more information about this issue. Namely:

1 - What O/S are you using
2 - Are you using the DRM-free or Steam version?
3 - Are you playing the game in fullscreen or windowed?
4 - What are your computer specs? CPU/RAM/GPU?
5 - What screen resolution are you playing the game in?
6 - What version of the game is this issue occurring with?
6a - If it's B18, then is this issue new for B18? Or does it also occur with A17b as well?

BTAxis

I play on Windows 10, DRM-free version. System info is attached to this post.
I have tried in both fullscreen and windowed mode. Behavior is the same. My screen resolution is 1920x1200.
This report applies to B18. The behavior I described does not manifest in A17b.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Thanks for the full range of info.

I've tried reproducing this with the DRM-free version and I can't get any hint of an issue. I've tried a few custom scenarios ranging from slight edits of existing ones, to blank ones, to ones I've added everything I can think of to the list. Along with varying the world coverage and sliders. But there is never even a slight delay in a new seed appearing when I click on the Randomise Seed button. Which doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, just that it's not universally reproducible (which usually makes a bug harder to fix).

Do you have a custom scenario file you could attach where you are reliably able to reproduce this issue? As maybe you've stumbled upon some rare combination that causes this. And when you are on the Randomise seed screen, have you checked what your CPU and RAM usage is? As maybe the unresponsiveness is caused by a CPU and/or RAM usage spike, either by the game or something else.

BTAxis

It's not that there are any delays, it's that occasionally, clicking the button does not generate a new seed. The UI remains responsive though. The frequency at which the button is clicked seems to somewhat affect it, but that could just be my perception.

It's also not the case that the game generates the *same* seed multiple times in a row, because this does happen also with custom seeds, or even with the first click when there's no seed yet at all.

I have uploaded a video showing what happens. You should be able to see how it gets stuck on several occasions, notably on "parka".

Canute

After watching the the video, i did some testing myself.
- Fresh started PC, Rimworld, Dev. mode on, clicking on the "Randomize Seed" everytime worked.
- Turned off Dev. mode, because i didn't saw it at the video either. A click don't allways gave a new seed, like at the video the sound for the click was to hear.
- Turned on Dev. mode again, same like before, but i am geting error msg. now
Exception filling window for RimWorld.Page_ScenarioEditor: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.PawnsFinder+<>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.PawnsFinder+<>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.PawnsFinder+<>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.NameUseChecker+<>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.NameUseChecker.NameWordIsUsed (System.String singleName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.NameBank.GetName (PawnNameSlot slot, Gender gender) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Grammar.Rule_PersonName.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Grammar.GrammarResolver.TryResolveRecursive (Verse.Grammar.RuleEntry entry, Int32 depth, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 constants, System.String& output, Boolean log) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Grammar.GrammarResolver.TryResolveRecursive (Verse.Grammar.RuleEntry entry, Int32 depth, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 constants, System.String& output, Boolean log) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Grammar.GrammarResolver.Resolve (System.String rootKeyword, GrammarRequest request, System.String debugLabel, Boolean forceLog) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GenText.RandomSeedString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Page_ScenarioEditor.RandomizeSeedAndScenario () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Page_ScenarioEditor.DoConfigControls (Rect rect) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Page_ScenarioEditor.DoWindowContents (Rect rect) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Window+<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (Int32 x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__0(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

- After another PC reboot, Rimworld start, No Dev mode, error still exist.
Looks like my 1. try after the PC start was just luck that the randomize worked with 10 clicks.