[B18] Enhanced Development (Mod Collection) 2018-07-02

Started by Jaxxa, November 24, 2017, 08:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

I am working on a Transporter mod to replace my old Stargate mod.

The general idea is that you would build a transporter platform and could then beam things into a buffer and retrieved from another transporter platform.
I am after some feedback on how people think this should be balanced.

Do you think that the receiving end should need power as well as the transmitting end?
Should it use an internal charge level that slowly ticks up while powered, or require some kind of transport charge crystals that you can make?

Canute

Depend how you define transport process.

Star Trek transport, is a send materia over subraum system.  The sender need to analyse ,desintegrate and send the object while sending need the most energy. The reciever need to received and reintegrate the object. The reintegrate would need more power then the desintegrate.

Another system with a complete matter to energy/energy to matter process would need ALOT of energy from the receiver side, because you only transfer the data you gained from the sender process and need to rebuild the obect complete with energy (E=mc²).
But warning this tech. is ultra high tech, and basicly if you are able to do this, you can replicate anything if you got enough energy. And none of rimworld generators currently generate enough energy that comes that need close.

Stargate system, they just open a wormhole, which need the most energy, while the receiver just work as anchor point with some safety systems.

Jaxxa

Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking of styling it around Star Trek style transporter.

I know it is not really going to be realistic, mostly wondering how to balance it for game play.

Canute

Hmm i would say
Build a 2x2/1x1 transport plattform.
1x1 control panel, and one or more 1x1 energy transfer units (optional).
Over the control panel you select the destination transport plattform or just a world tile.
Then the Transport plattform charge up, draw energy from the power grid.
And when it reach 100% the items appear at the destrination.
How many energy is needed based on the transport mass * range.
Energy transfer units can speed up the charge process.

But maybe if you like to transport pawns too, you need Transport chambers, like the pod, you can/need to load up before you can send them.

For the energy cost i would say, a full loaded transpod pod can hold 150kg if i remember right
150kg * 10 tiles = 1500 power over 100 sec.
Not that much, 2 extra fueled generators to power it up.
For each energy transfer units (control panel count as one) it multiply the power need, but divide the charge up time.
Ofcourse power can be draw from batteries too.

Mst

Embrasures are great no doubt about that.
But... Does anyone else is bothered by asymmetrical windows or is it just me? As far as I know this design is new, the old one did not have such problem. Any chance I can reverse?

Snownova

My thoughts on the transporter (also beyond psyched that you're making it):

Both ends of the transporter (2x2 or maybe even 3x3) platform need power, a button on the platform dematerializes anything or anyone on the platform and saves it to a buffer.  A second button materializes anything currently in the buffer, in a way similar to a trade beacon, so it will prefer to spawn on the platform, but if there's more than 4 tiles worth in there it will just scatter everything nearby.

The build materials should me mid to late tier, a little bit of gold and a bunch of plasteel, but perhaps make it possible to minify the platform, so that it can be brought to a new settlement in one go.

The platform should have a moderate power requirement in standby mode, and any act of materialisation or dematerialisation will instantly attempt to drain X amount from any connected batteries. If insufficient power is available, abort the action and show a message for that. Possibly add a  trigger for increased chance of a Zzzt event when this occurs.

The transporter platform information panel should show the currently stored vs required power of any available materialisation or dematerialisation action.

asquirrel

Hey Jaxxa! 

Running your laser drill mod and discovered a possible bug.  In my game, if I have an event that knocks out power (solar flare) the laser drill continues to work.   Otherwise, it's a great mod.  I like the fluctuating animation you did with the drill plus and option to mine either ores or rocks. 

Dagoras

Hey Jaxxa.

In A16 you had these cool personal shields ( mkII i believe ) that your pawns ( and enemies ) could wear and they could use their ranged weapons and shoot them, i really would like that kind of thing for B18 aswell, i tried to get the A16 version working for B18 but sadly it didnt worked well... i know people complained about it being op, but if you set the capacity and recharge rate, aswell as the recharge delay if its destroyed, low i think they are fairly balanced and surely it would be n1 to tank 1 of those doom launcher or incendiary hits that normaly kills you ( especially the doom launcher... ).

Or maybe add an options menu for the mod where you could just tweak the capacity, recharge rate and delay ( maybe add an option to make it dont recharge alone at all and it needs to be powered at an special loading station ) for it, so ppl could easily adjust it to their likes.

Otherwise great mods i really like all of them :)

frenchiveruti

Hello Jaxxa, one suggestion, you should add what does every button do on the shields generators as there's not any documentation on what they do.

Jaxxa

Added a new Mod, ED-EnhancedOptions. Adds a number of new options to the config menu such as Suppressing letters, Plants to Grow 24H a day, Safe Traps and Hides the Small Power Connection Wires.

Jaxxa

Quote from: Mst on December 07, 2017, 06:08:43 PM
Embrasures are great no doubt about that.
But... Does anyone else is bothered by asymmetrical windows or is it just me? As far as I know this design is new, the old one did not have such problem. Any chance I can reverse?

Not directly, the old ones didn't work anymore so they had to be updated. The new ones could be modified though.

Quote from: asquirrel on December 13, 2017, 08:15:45 PM
Hey Jaxxa! 

Running your laser drill mod and discovered a possible bug.  In my game, if I have an event that knocks out power (solar flare) the laser drill continues to work.   Otherwise, it's a great mod.  I like the fluctuating animation you did with the drill plus and option to mine either ores or rocks.

Not quite certain what you mean with mining ores or rocks, I feel you may be thinking of a separate mod.

Quote from: Dagoras on December 17, 2017, 02:03:28 PM
Hey Jaxxa.

In A16 you had these cool personal shields ( mkII i believe ) that your pawns ( and enemies ) could wear and they could use their ranged weapons and shoot them, i really would like that kind of thing for B18 aswell, i tried to get the A16 version working for B18 but sadly it didnt worked well... i know people complained about it being op, but if you set the capacity and recharge rate, aswell as the recharge delay if its destroyed, low i think they are fairly balanced and surely it would be n1 to tank 1 of those doom launcher or incendiary hits that normaly kills you ( especially the doom launcher... ).

Or maybe add an options menu for the mod where you could just tweak the capacity, recharge rate and delay ( maybe add an option to make it dont recharge alone at all and it needs to be powered at an special loading station ) for it, so ppl could easily adjust it to their likes.

Otherwise great mods i really like all of them :)

Yeah, I liked the Shields too. They will be coming back, but need a bit of a rework to deal with caravans and a better way to work with animals.

Quote from: frenchiveruti on December 21, 2017, 10:53:49 AM
Hello Jaxxa, one suggestion, you should add what does every button do on the shields generators as there's not any documentation on what they do.

Thanks, noted I will work on adding something to the description.

doomtrout

Is there a way for me to add mod-based traps into the Safe Traps "whitelist" so to speak? For example, I tried a mod that adds barbed wire into my game but, as it turns out, my colonists could still trip that trap.

Jaxxa

Probably not, what mod was it?

If they are using the standard trap building and only changing the xml code then it should work as it is. But if as it sounds like they have made their own type of trap in c# then that won't work. But throw me a link to the mod and I will see if that is the case.

doomtrout

Quote from: Jaxxa on December 25, 2017, 06:19:41 AM
Probably not, what mod was it?

If they are using the standard trap building and only changing the xml code then it should work as it is. But if as it sounds like they have made their own type of trap in c# then that won't work. But throw me a link to the mod and I will see if that is the case.
The mod's name is just "Barbed Wire (with damage)" https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34752

xamxas