What colour is the sky in Rimworld?

Started by Quasarrgames, May 29, 2014, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abadayos

Quote from: Pulaskimask on June 04, 2014, 02:23:04 AM
Quote from: Tynan on May 31, 2014, 09:23:17 PM
My understanding is that it's the nitrogen in the air, not the oxygen, which is blue. So you could theoretically replace the nitrogen with something else (like any noble gas) and retain breathable air.

The downside is if you used helium it would all float away leaving you with just oxygen, and if you used any of the other noble gasses then they would sink to the bottom of the atmosphere and smoother everyone to death as the lighter oxygen floats at the top. Oxygen and nitrogen are a good mix because they are about equal in mass.

Actually no it would not settle out into layers for the exact same reason we do not have gas 'layers' in our atmosphere: Wind turbulence and thermal updrafts.

Heat is introduced from teh top of the atmosphere via the sun, radiating down to the surface, causing cooler air/gasses at the surface to to warm up and raise higher which then eventually cools and drops back down due to hitting the slipstreams and at higher altitudes heat loss due to radiating out to space (heat not gasses, they stay due to gravity except for hydrogen which a very very very small amount is whipped away by solar wind when at the extreme of our atmosphere/space border).

Once it gets that high it is usually sub zero in temperature and plummets down to the warmer regions to do the same again. When you take wind into account it cools and moves warm/cold air around and keeps it mixed just like the convection (think that's teh right word) currents in the higher atmosphere.

if it was stationary, with now wind and no thermal difference  and very low gravity, yes you may get layers of gasses however in planetology that simply will never happen. It could only happen in highly artificial situations on a perfectly flat plane at absolute zero in every singly location with zero varience at all. As soon as something changes, currents are generated and turbulence causes movement and thus friction thus destabilization and thus mixing of the gasses.

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Sion

Allow me to put and end to your confusion, thanks to: Blackjack1000K and the creators of Paint.net
I can not only promise you the sky, I can even show you the sky :P

Because each picture is about 4Mb large I will use links to the pictures, if not then the server would need to load 4*15=60Mb!!!! just to display this post, and it would take a LOOOOONG time to load, have fun:

Black Sky
Pink Sky
Turquoise Sky
Dark Purple Sky
Light Purple
Wine Red Sky
Red Sky
Orange Sky
Yellow Sky
Light Green Sky
Dark Green Sky
Light Blue Sky
Dark Blue Sky
White Sky

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 30, 2014, 03:18:15 AM
i sure hope its cyan :)
I made this specially for you:
Cyan Sky
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

salt1219

Sion

Quote from: salt1219 on June 05, 2014, 01:42:52 AM
Its rainbow colored with sparkles

I tried to create this, but I happen to make some Accidental Art...  8) ;D

For real it was an accident, I tried to make the red part in a rainbow
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Dr. Z

Dude you just created the SUN of RimWorld!
Prasie the Squirrel!

Pulaskimask

Actually no it would not settle out into layers for the exact same reason we do not have gas 'layers' in our atmosphere: Wind turbulence and thermal updrafts.

Woah there, we certainly do have gas layers in our atmosphere. All the heavier gasses like argon exist in the trophosphere, whereas lighter gasses, helium and hydrogen, mostly exist in the exosphere. The trophosphere is also where almost all water exists, and while it is really conductive to mixing the layer just above it, the stratosphere actually mixes very little with the other layers, which is why particulates can get stuck up there for a very long time after a volcanic eruption for instance. Either way, heavier gasses are already known to pool in caves(even at sea level), basements, and people's homes to toxic levels, such as radon and carbon dioxide, so certainly the artificial atmospheres that exists within the colonist's homes would be subject to pooling of a heavier noble gas if that noble gas where to replace nitrogen and make up 70-80% of the atmosphere.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Pulaskimask on June 05, 2014, 10:07:11 PM

Woah there, we certainly do have gas layers in our atmosphere. All the heavier gasses like argon exist in the trophosphere, whereas lighter gasses, helium and hydrogen, mostly exist in the exosphere. The trophosphere is also where almost all water exists, and while it is really conductive to mixing the layer just above it, the stratosphere actually mixes very little with the other layers, which is why particulates can get stuck up there for a very long time after a volcanic eruption for instance. Either way, heavier gasses are already known to pool in caves(even at sea level), basements, and people's homes to toxic levels, such as radon and carbon dioxide, so certainly the artificial atmospheres that exists within the colonist's homes would be subject to pooling of a heavier noble gas if that noble gas where to replace nitrogen and make up 70-80% of the atmosphere.

Also, the bum gas layer hovers around one's nose's height.
BA DUM TISH!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Sion on June 04, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
Allow me to put and end to your confusion, thanks to: Blackjack1000K and the creators of Paint.net
I can not only promise you the sky, I can even show you the sky :P

Because each picture is about 4Mb large I will use links to the pictures, if not then the server would need to load 4*15=60Mb!!!! just to display this post, and it would take a LOOOOONG time to load, have fun:

Black Sky
Pink Sky
Turquoise Sky
Dark Purple Sky
Light Purple
Wine Red Sky
Red Sky
Orange Sky
Yellow Sky
Light Green Sky
Dark Green Sky
Light Blue Sky
Dark Blue Sky
White Sky

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 30, 2014, 03:18:15 AM
i sure hope its cyan :)
I made this specially for you:
Cyan Sky
I do not mean to necro , but this is awesome.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK