[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

Thanks for your answers, will definetly give all mages the Blink.
Can we expect the update to 1.0 the next days? At the moment I'm running my B19 colony with Rimworld 1.0 and this mod in B19 :D While it mostly works fine, there are some small issues. For example if I want to summon minions or elementals, the UI disappears and I can't place the spell. But as I said, most things work fine.

crusader2010

How can you remove stoneskin from a friendly pawn? Can't find any button and the mana reservation makes it quite bad :(
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

NameHere

Just started this mod a week ago, and now it's so hard to live without it. At about two years into the colony, a necromancer randomly joined. Yeah, life was good, or should I say the unlife? It was a lot of fun, even losing it all. Rimrest in Peace, Humphrey the Necromancer.

I just registered today to send kudos and positive vibes. Keep up your Holy Work, Torann.

Torann

Quote from: crusader2010 on October 18, 2018, 05:41:58 PM
How can you remove stoneskin from a friendly pawn? Can't find any button and the mana reservation makes it quite bad :(
I'm address this in the 1.0 update - there's a few ways to dispel it right now, like hitting the pawn to burn off the stoneskin charges, or casting it to refresh the stoneskin, then casting again at full charge to dispel it.  All of that is a little cumbersome so I'm adding a 'dispel stoneskin' that will dispel stoneskin on all pawns the caster is maintaining stoneskin on.

Torann

cortanakya

Alright, so you're going to hate me, but I put a bunch of my suggestions into a google doc. It's pretty long but that's mostly down to my formatting, and unless you find yourself really interested you can probably skip the apparel/item section, it's just a bunch of weapons and armour that behave similarly to the stuff you've already added but filling in a few gaps. Also, it's important to note that I'm volunteering myself as an artist if you run with any of my ideas, I've had a fair bit of experience with Rimworld art so I'm confident I can do a good job.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSTiC8lDda9ewKdDyTtwhkek6fZTingFVwhsBgWlVBnHbf9-lpn9vpnejxvbbSMfEYDyQkyMUhdh_O0/pub

Jan2607

eksynn

Quote from: Torann on October 19, 2018, 02:31:14 AM
Updated for 1.0
thank you for updating (◠‿ ◠ ) where do i download the 1.0 version (out of steam), please? the link in the OP is still leading to the B18 download (at least that's what the tag says on the lower right)

Canute

eksynn,
nothing changed since some releases.
Use the link between Download:  and steam workshop.
That lead you to moddb.com ,
then select files
and choose the latest file, in this case TMagic v2 2 5 3.

Jan2607

Is there a way to change a mage's profession? Is there a way to delete a certain ability that a mage learned with a scroll?

TheAzn123

@Jan2607
Nope! But you can use god mode to remove the trait and reset ability powers.
If you want to delete a certain spell you have to edit the save file and find the spell under your colonist info (usually at the end, just control+f you're colonist name and you should be able to find it.)

Torann

Small bug fix for a conflict between other ability user mods (vampires, star wars force, etc) that caused other mod abilities to not have a cooldown.  Re-download v2.2.5.3 if you're using those mods and want the fix.

Quote from: cortanakya on October 19, 2018, 04:53:49 AM
Alright, so you're going to hate me, but I put a bunch of my suggestions into a google doc.
I looked through the doc and, honestly, a lot of really good idea's, so thanks for the suggestions.

I also agree that a new work type would probably be needed, depending on how many of the buildings were added.  It's not a bad idea anyways and would be a good stepping stone for addition of magical structures.

One field I'd definitely like to expand on is new armor/weapons/items.  The biggest roadblock is my relatively poor drawing skills (plus the time it takes me to draw -anything-), so if you're willing to contribute with graphics for those things, then I'm more than happy to do the rest.  I already have a feature update planned to add several items like rings and amulets, that have magical properties and/or allow the pawn wearing the item to be able to use special abilities (basically magical trinkets).  I'd also like to add the ability to scribe single-use spells/spell scrolls.

As a design philosophy, I've intentionally stayed away from adding a significant amount of new benches and materials because I'm not a big fan of the giant benches that give you 2 new options or the laundry list of new materials that has limited use.  I  want to stick to that stance and will always try to have a minimal impact on the amount of storage/material/space requirements this mod adds.  I do like the idea of stormweave though.  That being said, there's definitely room for growth in most of the fields you mentioned.

I particularly like the idea of the mana batteries (Electrocyte Capacitor, Dimensional Tear) though the application maybe differs (though not necessarily exclusive) from what you were thinking.  My thoughts were along the lines of a structure capable of storing mana.  Instead of (or maybe as a dual purpose) charging magical structures, any pawn standing near a mana battery, and below a certain threshold of mana, would rapidly regenerate mana (given the battery had charge to distribute).  This would really help in defensive scenario's if the mage was near the battery, or even for mana drain events for low mana mages.

Some of the defenses, like blastberries or magical fines/thorns or shock plate, and the focusing lens would be fun to add and increase global application as a mage (regardless of which class) to help with defense.  Blastberries actually made me think about adding a new berry (mana berry) or possibly modifying Ambrosia to increase mana regen.

I positively love the idea of shrines/temples/statues and the concepts you laid out.  This is a huge area of improvement imo. 

I'm all for new animals and magical beasts, especially if they have synergy with magic.  The demon and poppi are two creatures that I've made with special properties.  The demon has a special AI controller that's not just for the demon, so I can refine/expand on this for any creature allowing many different actions or abilities or special behaviors.

I haven't touched on everything, because now my post is getting rather long, but I'll leave with a last though about 'decorations' and magical furniture options.  My opinion on this is more 'go big or go home.'  So instead of just a floating chair, maybe a floating chair that improves research speed.  Or a bed/container helps a pawn heal, fight diseases, reduce addictions, maybe even increase mana regeneration or repair equipment, lights that improve mood or rest, food that doesn't spoil and increases travel speeds, medicine that improves surgery chance and applies a regenerating salve... now I'm getting carried away!

Anyways, great post, would encourage others to take a look at the doc and provide feedback/thoughts for an open discussion.

Jan2607

I noticed some issue with the Teleport: In some cases the mage will not deploy the Teleporter on that tile where you aimed it (even when there is enough space to put it and the mage has a direct line of sight), but on his own position. If you are unlucky and the surrounding tiles of the mage are blocked, the teleporter will explode.
Happened a few times to me, but this time I nearly lost my mage because of it (she lost a leg).

Edited: I actually lost the mage. When I wanted to evac her via teleport and she went in the teleporter (while bleeding out) the caravan got lost :O

Canute

Yep, that happen at my B19 playthrough one time too.

crusader2010

Think I found a but (at least in the B19 version) with the Earth Sprites. I've casted a meteorite with the geomancer, designated everything to be mined out, then casted Earth Sprites on one of the tiles. While they were up, some of the pawns also came and dug the meteorite.

What I think happened next is that when the sprites finished one tile, one pawn finished mining the next tile where the sprites would have jumped. Now the sprites are stuck working on a empty tile and not jumping anywhere.
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack