[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeadriancatfox

In every MMORPG Games there is always be a Priest Class. And almost all Priest related class has one thing in common, to resurrect the dead. I know~ there is a Resurrection Mech Serum which you can buy cheaply, but the effect is undesirable. Maybe a Resurrection that not fully heal the dead or even regenerate their loss limbs. Maybe just a simple Extreme Pain and 0% consciousness or whatever the toll is by bringing the dead back to life. As long as not that Resurrection sickness making a colonist much more a problem making you regret your decision.

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on December 15, 2017, 06:18:09 PM
Some really great idea's, Toketsu.  I particularly like the events and traits and will look to implement those in the next update.  I really want to include some immersion for the mod that brings good (and bad) events that emphasizes the rimworld as a place that has nurtured magic.   I also like the drain spell (though I might call it siphon); I think it would also be nice to have as a way for a stronger mage to siphon from a weaker mage (at least until AI casting is in).

It looks like druid (with skills very similar to those you listed) will be the next class I'll introduce.
I've also been looking at making something like a void mage or physics-based? mage of some kind.  Mostly because I want a spell where the mage launches himself into space then comes crashing down into groups of enemies and scatters them like chaff in the wind.

Seems good. Also, great job on the mod so far, this is already a must have mod for me. Will post new ideas in case a think of some.

Edit: Oh, and i'm not sure if this is in already, but pawns that can't talk shouldn't be able to cast spells, and pawns with reduced talking should take longer to cast. Pawns with enhanced talking should cast faster, too.

Canute

Yes, many kind of magic need speech, but not all need them.
Alot of advanced magic user don't to say anything, the just need to do some gestures or finger acrobatic together with the right concentration.
And the highest form of magic, you just need to think/concentrate.

Toketsu

Quote from: Canute on December 16, 2017, 12:11:01 PM
Yes, many kind of magic need speech, but not all need them.
Alot of advanced magic user don't to say anything, the just need to do some gestures or finger acrobatic together with the right concentration.
And the highest form of magic, you just need to think/concentrate.

Depends mostly on what the creator wants magic to be. What you and i said are but two different methods.

Edit: Summoner cannot learn spells from scrolls, saying that the "pawn isn't attuned to arcane forces". Unsure if this was an overlook or intended.

Torann

It was an oversight, fixed in the steam yesterday and just uploaded the edit to moddb.  Also fixes minion behavior that was causing them to break down walls...

1kili2

ive installed the mod and made sure hugslib and jecstools are installed aswell all in the right order and right version but i can not find anything of this mod in my game so im not sure if its just not accepting the mod or if im completely blind, maybe a little tutorial video would be nice sadly i cant find any videos of people actually using this mod...

These are the errors im getting if thats any help:
Config error in Gladiator: TraitDef Gladiator has 0 commonality.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Config error in InnerFire: TraitDef InnerFire has 0 commonality.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Config error in HeartOfFrost: TraitDef HeartOfFrost has 0 commonality.

Config error in StormBorn: TraitDef StormBorn has 0 commonality.

Config error in Arcanist: TraitDef Arcanist has 0 commonality.

Config error in Paladin: TraitDef Paladin has 0 commonality.

Config error in Summoner: TraitDef Summoner has 0 commonality.

Config error in TM_Sniper: TraitDef TM_Sniper has 0 commonality.

Config error in Elemental: no parts vulnerable to frostbite

Config error in Minion: no parts vulnerable to frostbite

Canute

1kili2,
since noone else got this kind of problem you got, i think you didn't something wrong with the install.
Maybe you downloaded the wrong version of a mod.

I just download the latest Jectools and tmagic, activate it and don't got any error msg.

Torann

ikili2 - those are harmless warnings.  The commonality warning just means those traits are never loaded onto a new pawn (which they aren't because you need arcane scripts/books to learn abilities).  What you want to look for is a pawn with the traits "magically gifted" or "physically adept" - these traits will allow a pawn to use said books to learn new abilities.  So it sounds like the mod is working fine for you.

Torann

Just pushed the latest update.

New events: arcane drain and arcane surge - these events boost or sap mana.  If the mage loses all their mana during a mana drain event, they will start to become sick and can even die.  Pain/pain threshold and (lowered) consciousness contribute to the drain event and will have increased affect on mages that suffer from these conditions.  Mana pots are an effective way to combat the mana sickness.

New faction - arcane fold.  A rare faction that specializes in the arcane.  Creation of this faction is also a first step in creating events centered around magic.  The Arcane Fold will now send caravan traders; you will find a a good selection of spells and magical artifacts in their stock.  A new game will be required to generate them on the map.  I'm putting the faction in now for trade benefits, etc, but will use them to launch new quests down the line.

Reworked Gladiator Cleave to improve overall functionality and ease of use - this ability is now instant cast and searches for nearby targets around the Gladiator, if a target is found, it will instantly apply cleave to this target.

New disease - Arcane Sickness.  Though rare, and usually not deadly, the disease absorbs mana in the body of the mage and will prevent any mana gain while it is present.  It also has significant physical side affects if left to fester.  The disease attaches to microorganisms so standard treatments can applied by eliminating the microorganism carrying the disease.

Two new stand-alone spells - siphon mana and transfer mana.  Siphon mana will drain a significant amount of mana from another mage and be absorbed by the caster.  The amount of mana drained will never exceed the current amount held by the victim.  If the victim is not a mage, this spell will drain life force from physical capacities and can act as a significant debuff on the target and can cause death in extreme cases.  This spell can be applied multiple times to a target to increase the effect.  Transfer mana functions similarly, in reverse however, the caster will lose mana  and the recipient will gain mana.  If the recipient is not a mage, they will gain significant physical enhancements from the controlled surge of mana into their body.  Like siphon mana, too much can be harmful and even deadly.

Lastly, some casting behavior changes have been made to improve the feel of abilities.  If an ability is used and meets criteria for range and line of sight, it will instantly cast.  Pawns will no longer move to a "preferred" location to cast the spell, as long as it can be cast immediately.  I got tired of my pawns running to the end of a hallway or corner of a room to cast heal when the pawns are right next to each other.  If a spell targets another pawn, and does not meet cast requirements, your caster will still move to get into position.  Ground targeted abilities will still be used without any affect, so pay attention to the target indicator.

Some abilities now ignore line of sight.  These spells include: summon, blink, all buffs (eg AMP, Ray of Hope, etc), and terraform spells.

Some abilities can now be used with a shield belt (or shield generating item).  These spells are generally the non-projectile or non-violent abilities.  The list includes: blink, summon, teleport, all gladiator abilities, all paladin abilities, all buffs, and most of the utility, stand-alone spells.  If an attempt to use an ability that does not work with shield-belt is made, when you click the ability icon it will now generate a message telling you it does not work and what item is blocking the mages power.  So you can't even attempt to use abilities that don't work with shield generating items.  Should be compatible with any item that functions the same as the shield belt regardless if it's vanilla or another mod.

Torann

Also, 1kili2 brings up a good point.  I'd like to include a video of what the mod offers so people can go off something besides the description, so if anyone is interesting in making a short youtube video or something like that, I'll be happy to add you as a contributor and add links to the video.

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on December 20, 2017, 12:57:26 PM
Just pushed the latest update.

New events: arcane drain and arcane surge - these events boost or sap mana.  If the mage loses all their mana during a mana drain event, they will start to become sick and can even die.  Pain/pain threshold and (lowered) consciousness contribute to the drain event and will have increased affect on mages that suffer from these conditions.  Mana pots are an effective way to combat the mana sickness.

New faction - arcane fold.  A rare faction that specializes in the arcane.  Creation of this faction is also a first step in creating events centered around magic.  The Arcane Fold will now send caravan traders; you will find a a good selection of spells and magical artifacts in their stock.  A new game will be required to generate them on the map.  I'm putting the faction in now for trade benefits, etc, but will use them to launch new quests down the line.

Reworked Gladiator Cleave to improve overall functionality and ease of use - this ability is now instant cast and searches for nearby targets around the Gladiator, if a target is found, it will instantly apply cleave to this target.

New disease - Arcane Sickness.  Though rare, and usually not deadly, the disease absorbs mana in the body of the mage and will prevent any mana gain while it is present.  It also has significant physical side affects if left to fester.  The disease attaches to microorganisms so standard treatments can applied by eliminating the microorganism carrying the disease.

Two new stand-alone spells - siphon mana and transfer mana.  Siphon mana will drain a significant amount of mana from another mage and be absorbed by the caster.  The amount of mana drained will never exceed the current amount held by the victim.  If the victim is not a mage, this spell will drain life force from physical capacities and can act as a significant debuff on the target and can cause death in extreme cases.  This spell can be applied multiple times to a target to increase the effect.  Transfer mana functions similarly, in reverse however, the caster will lose mana  and the recipient will gain mana.  If the recipient is not a mage, they will gain significant physical enhancements from the controlled surge of mana into their body.  Like siphon mana, too much can be harmful and even deadly.

Lastly, some casting behavior changes have been made to improve the feel of abilities.  If an ability is used and meets criteria for range and line of sight, it will instantly cast.  Pawns will no longer move to a "preferred" location to cast the spell, as long as it can be cast immediately.  I got tired of my pawns running to the end of a hallway or corner of a room to cast heal when the pawns are right next to each other.  If a spell targets another pawn, and does not meet cast requirements, your caster will still move to get into position.  Ground targeted abilities will still be used without any affect, so pay attention to the target indicator.

Some abilities now ignore line of sight.  These spells include: summon, blink, all buffs (eg AMP, Ray of Hope, etc), and terraform spells.

Some abilities can now be used with a shield belt (or shield generating item).  These spells are generally the non-projectile or non-violent abilities.  The list includes: blink, summon, teleport, all gladiator abilities, all paladin abilities, all buffs, and most of the utility, stand-alone spells.  If an attempt to use an ability that does not work with shield-belt is made, when you click the ability icon it will now generate a message telling you it does not work and what item is blocking the mages power.  So you can't even attempt to use abilities that don't work with shield generating items.  Should be compatible with any item that functions the same as the shield belt regardless if it's vanilla or another mod.

Sounding good, can't wait to give a try.

I got tired of my pawns running to the end of a hallway or corner of a room to cast heal when the pawns are right next to each other.
Seems like the fix of the year. Especially when going outside is a bad idea.

Does this mean we can now blink through walls? o-o

Edit: Readying some ideas up, next post will be with some ideas, focusing on spells/skills. Should be up tomorrow.

Torann

Quote from: Toketsu on December 20, 2017, 02:11:38 PM

Yes, as long as it's in range and the mage knows of the area, eg it's visible terrain you could normally walk over - you can blink to it. 

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on December 20, 2017, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: Toketsu on December 20, 2017, 02:11:38 PM

Yes, as long as it's in range and the mage knows of the area, eg it's visible terrain you could normally walk over - you can blink to it.
Damn, this is one great fix. Also great that we can summon stuff through walls. Both these spells were somewhat useless in many conditions due to the fact of buildings and natural stuff in the way. Great job.

henk

How good are enemies at using magic? Can they use it at all, and would it be possible to have enemies with no weapon and just magic?

And some ideas :
A summoned creature that only cleans and hauls.
A Firefoam popper-like spell for ice mages.
An option on terrain-affecting spells to cast them with a bigger area and proportional mana cost, selected by right clicking the spell, unlocked by leveling up that spell. Or barring that, an option under floor construction to cast that spell on those tiles whenever it is off cooldown, so the player doesn't have to do it manually.
Higher tier spells need to disable the caster, even if benignly. Make them stunned, or throw up, or give them temporary blindness. Higher tier spells are pretty strong right now.
A spell to pull a random item out of the ether - can be anything under a cost proportional to the caster's level.
A sniper ability to mark a target, making them easier to hit.
A summoner spell to place an ally in stasis, similar to cryptosleep caskets.
Fire mages could have fire fighting disabled. Because they love fire.

Again, some crazy ideas. I won't be offended if they're not feasible.

Canute

QuoteAn option on terrain-affecting spells to cast them with a bigger area and proportional mana cost, selected by right clicking the spell, unlocked by leveling up that spell.
The ultimate outpost killer
Create vulkan !
a 5x5 lavafield surrounded with 5-10 wide mountains.