[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spetse

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 25, 2017, 07:57:15 AM
I know, that bugs will happen, this is why I report them ;)

How does the sniper training work? When I use it, nothing happens (shooting experience does not increase). Am I missing something?

it is used by physical adepts, when used it gives them access to sniper abilities and changes the physical adept trait to Sharpshooter

Jan2607

Oh okay, so it does not increase the shooting skill of a legendary sniper and it won't level up a sharpshooter to a legendary sniper?

Spetse

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 25, 2017, 10:16:00 AM
Oh okay, so it does not increase the shooting skill of a legendary sniper and it won't level up a sharpshooter to a legendary sniper?

not that I'm aware. I haven't tested it much, but AFAIK it works exactly as magic books for magic users.

Torann

So the way the "sniper training" works is that it activates the changes to your trait.
Trait levels are: sharpshooter, sniper, master sniper, legendary sniper.  Each of those traits corresponds to a training level.  So when you put a point into sniper training, you should be able to use the sniper skill (which looks like it does nothing visible) but should remove the old trait and upgrade to the corresponding sniper trait level.  So if you've invested 2 points into the "sniper training" skill, then use the ability, it should remove the old sniper trait and give your pawn the Master Sniper trait.  If that's not happening, let me know. 

Torann

As far as the summoned objects/creatures not maintaining the timers - this was an oversight and I need to add save parameters to summoned objects so the correct behavior continues after a load.  I'll add this to the next update, but it should resolve the issues with teleport instantly being destroyed upon a load as well as summoned creatures remaining indefinitely after a load (and not disappearing on "down' etc).

RyanRim

So to become a sniper, your pawn still has to be gifted? That is kinda harsh.
Also kudos to the staves and cloaks idea posted before.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

SergeshD123

Jan2607

Alright, thank you, Torann :)

Is there a limit how many spells a mage can learn?
Do you have plans to give the Warlock more Upgrades? I would love to have a range upgrade for the blink spell, so I can chase fleeing enemies over the map. And maybe a non-lethal combat spell for the Warlock, so I can chase enemies AND capture them without killing them :D

Torann

QuoteSo to become a sniper, your pawn still has to be gifted? That is kinda harsh.
Gifted can't be snipers, only "physically adept."  The Sniper trait is only one bonus among the extra abilities they learn for becoming a sniper.

QuoteWill you add a ninja class?
No plans for a ninja class at this time; the next stamina based class will likely be the blade dancer who will have several rapid strike, melee capabilities.

QuoteIs there a limit how many spells a mage can learn?
No spell limit that I've been able to reach, which includes added abilities from other mods.

QuoteDo you have plans to give the Warlock more Upgrades? I would love to have a range upgrade for the blink spell, so I can chase fleeing enemies over the map. And maybe a non-lethal combat spell for the Warlock, so I can chase enemies AND capture them without killing them
More stand-alone spells as well as the warlock "master spell" are still planned.  The master spell for warlock will most likely be critical in the creation of a stable portal that can link two sites.
As for chasing enemies, that seems tedious... why not just summon the enemy into a prison?  ;)

Jan2607

Well, he is still armed and dangerous then :D Maybe a disarm spell, where his weapon dissolves? :D

blizzardwolf420

Ive run into an odd issue, sometimes ill go have a pawn learn a new spell via scroll and it says they cant learn it? no errors or anything , ill mess around with it to see if i can find the problem.

Toketsu

Posting few ideas today because the second class i'll post has a good concept in my opinion, so i thought it'd be nice to post it as soon as possible.
Reminder that skills and spells can be levelled, so the numbers and etc here can be changed over time.

Spells

Freeze Ground (water/scroll)
Freezes a medium-sized area on target location. Any pawns that walk on it that aren't water mages have a 50% chance per tile to slip and fall (1s stun).
Melts after 20s if temperatures are above freezing. If temperatures are below freezing, the only way to remove the spell is to use the Dry Ground spell.

Combat Portal (arcane/scroll)
Creates a portal near to you and a portalon the target location. The one spawned next to you will be the income portal, and the other the outcome.
Income portals can be shot with area of effect spells, and the outcome portal will then use said spell on itself, dealing it's effects to nearby pawns.
The outcome portal can be attacked by enemies in order to end the spell early, though spells cast on the income portal will deal 0 damage on either portals.

Items
The following item will be used by one of the classes mentioned in this post.

Spirit Sword (Legendary item)
Spirit Swords are very rare weapons that can only be equipped if the pawn is a Spiritblade. These weapons are living beings, and were crafted in such a way that they cannot be damaged or destroyed. Found very rarely through trade with the magic faction, or somewhat rarely in the Magical Ruins event i briefly mentioned in a post on the 22nd. These weapons come with one of 3 different personalities, which directly impact how well the Spiritblade will use his skills:

Calculist: Increase in effects for skills with side effects on the target enemy, while decreasing overall damage from the attack.
Reaper: Increase damage from the attacks, while decreasing the effects and duration of side effects on the target.
Tactician: Keeps a good balance of the two, increasing both a little.

Spirit Swords can die, however. After bonding with a Spiritblade, Spirit Swords require sustenance in the form of Mana Crystals. They require one Mana Crystal every 24 hours, and will die if not fed after 6-12 hours past the initial 24 hours. If the Spirit Sword dies, the owner will suffer heavy brain damage.
Feeding can be automated, similar to how pawns walk to get food to eat. Spiritblades should be able to carry 2 Mana Crystals on their inventory, similar to how pawns carry meals around.

Classes

Spellsword
Melee fighter that uses magical melee attacks to strike their enemies. (Uses mana, magically adept)
Example of spells:

Passive:

Anti-magic Training
Pawn has 50% resistance to magic damage.

Active:

Void Slash
Targetted attack that slashes the air in front of you, creating a void blade that goes straight ahead, piercing up to 4 enemies. Medium range. Can cut projectiles that pass by it, destroying the projectile.

Countershock
Counters the next melee attack received, negating full damage and slashing the target at high speed with a thunder-imbued blade. Stuns enemy hit for 5s.
Deals more internal damage than external. Ranged attacks cannot be countered, but can be blocked. Blocks up to 10 ranged attacks. Explosive ranged attacks can be blocked, nullifying the projectile damage, but the explosion damage cannot be blocked.

Acidic Blade
Encase your weapon in a protective layer of mana and cover it with a corrosing acid for 20s. Attacks dealt while this is active ignores all armor.

Heightened Senses (master)
The pawn uses a large amount of mana to heighten their senses and be able to parry every single attack with their weapon. Lasts a short while and makes the pawn immune to any direct damage, excluding fire, explosions and aoe effects. Pawn loses 20% sight and consciouness when the effect ends, for 2 in-game hours.

Spiritblade (Physically adept, uses Stamina)
Melee fighter that uses a special, living weapon. Useless without his weapon, but powerful when wielding one. Skills are primarily based on his weapon.
After gaining the basic skills, new skills can only be learned by talking with your weapon after a certain amount of days has passed since bonding.
If the Spirit Sword dies, the owner will lose all skills, and revert back to having only Bond. Bonding with a new sword will only give the basic skills, requiring time to learn skills again.

Starting skill:

Bond
Bonds with the equipped Spirit Sword, making it unequipable and enabling Spiritblade basic skills.

Basic skills:

Soul Pierce
Pierces the enemy soul, dealing no damage to the body, but leaving the pawn downed for 10s, and inflicts a new permanent injury, "Weakened Soul".
Weakened Soul permanently reduces all skills by 3, and decreases manipulation by 30%. Each pawn can only have one of this injury, and the only way to heal it is with Healer Mech Serums and a new Druid spell. High stamina cost.

Ethereal Blade
Attack that ignores the target's armor and skin, dealing only internal damage.

Example of other skills:

Equillibrium
This skill has a base damage of 10 and a 5% chance of causing panic on hit. The Spiritblade will deal +1 damage for every mood point below 50%, and has +1% chance of causing panic for every mood point above 50%. If the Spiritblade is at exactly 50% mood, both stats will be maxed, as if it were at 0% and 100% mood simultaneously.

Mutual Trust (passive)
For every day that passes since bonding, this skill will give +0.1% in every category on the health tab (sight, manipulation, etc), for a max of 500 days.
After day 500, the Spiritblade will receive +0.1% stamina regeneration for every day that passes, with no cap (doesn't include the first 500 days).

Draw Power
Drains the Spirit Sword of 6 hours worth of sustenance (cannot be used if this would cause the sword to die), and fully restores the owner's stamina.
3 in-game hours later, the user will gain an injury that reduces manipulation by 50%. Heals after one day of not using stamina. Using stamina during this period has a chance to worsen the effects, and granting a permanent -10% manipulation, that can only be cured with Healer Mech Serums and a new Druid spell. 1 in-game day cooldown.

Materialize Spirit (master)
Materializes the spirit within the sword for a short duration. The spirit will target the closes enemy on the map, and relentlessly chase it until it dies, then switch targets, and repeat until time's up. The spirit has level 20 melee, and has the same skills the Spiritblade that owns him has, except skills that require a Spirit Sword to make sense to be usable (such as this one and Bond). The spirit will focus on skills that use the same type of bonuses that their personality has. The spirit has high hp, similar to that of a thrumbo. If the spirit dies, it simply will return to the sword. Costs 100% stamina.

Events

Arcane Stash overhaul
Arcane Stash events would occur, then when you got to the location, there would be a large building with maze-like halls and possible traps. The walls would be made of some magical stone (re-use of an existing texture), and would be nearly unbreakable (over 500k hp), so you'd need to just go through the door.
Inside, enemies may be found randomly, mostly mages or squads of factions that want the loot, which are searching for it. Once you kill all hostiles inside, a room will open, which will contain the treasures. Squads should be composed of 2-5 members each. Magic should not be necessary to overcome this event.

Other

Once research is added, researching for long periods could cause mental stress. Overworking on research can worsen it.

Edit:

As some said before, there appears to be a problem with the Teleport spell, in which it isn't working. Doesn't give any mentions or anything. You cast it, and it doesn't come up. I tried doing it on a few different surfaces, all of which were unroofed.

Toketsu

Quote from: blizzardwolf420 on December 26, 2017, 01:45:54 PM
Ive run into an odd issue, sometimes ill go have a pawn learn a new spell via scroll and it says they cant learn it? no errors or anything , ill mess around with it to see if i can find the problem.
Some spells are class-locked. Example, blizzard is water mage only.

blizzardwolf420

it wasnt one of the master spells  it was one of the new ones, i was trying to tech my thunder mage to learn charge battery. all my other pawns could learn it tho

Canute

The dream of a civillian.
Free power from lightning mage, and a fire mage burns the waste.
Water mage for the cleanness and thirst, and the earth mage for all the resources.