[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henk

Quote from: Jan2607 on January 30, 2018, 07:33:09 PM
I got a caravan request to deliver 242 bows - for one combat form: gladiator. Wtf?  :D
They tried to learn how to gladiator but couldn't figure it out, so they said screw it, let's be archers.

Torann

Quote from: WitchLyfe on January 29, 2018, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: henk on January 29, 2018, 12:03:54 PM
I support the suggestion of making skill upgrades unavailable if you haven't learned the spell yet. In addition, listing the learning cost of spells would be useful to new players.
I thought maybe there was a level requirement to some spells, didn't know some require multiple skill points till I just read it here.
I'll see what I can do to make this more intuitive and provide more information in the GUI.

Oh, Necromancers get a debuff for observing corpses, haha. 
Made it so neither necro's or undead get this debuff.  In fact, made quite a few thought changes for both traits.  Undead will still have some.. they aren't quite zombies, just shells of what they once were.

Is there some way to dismiss/drop individual undead without penalty?
Yes, you can use consume corpse on undead.  Although, the corpse is then gone and you won't have anything left to raise... choices!

My undead also stopped gaining mining exp at level 7, is this intentional?  They're still getting crafting exp I believe.
They aren't supposed to gain xp at all.  I just verified that this is the case for everything except crafting.  For some reason, crafting still provides skill gain so I'll have to trace down this code path.   

QuoteI also think having an undead minion as a Necromancer will prevent you from gaining passive exp at max MP, unless there's a level cut off for that.  It won't raise at max MP anymore.
Nice catch, it is fixed for next update.

I made a Thrumbo undead and he's just constantly eating
For some reason, large animals have food levels that extend past 0-1, so assigning them a constant of .5 was forcing them to always search for food.  I've fixed this, and the fact that they want to sleep forever, for the next update.

4. Would like a way to "unrez" individual zombies.
This is what consume corpse was initially intended to do, but then it got morphed a little and it does destroy the undead, just like it does with a corpse.
That being said, consume corpse has many variations...
Consuming an undead returns significantly more mana than a corpse, with humanlike undead returning more mana than animal undead, and fresh is better than rotten or bones.  Generally speaking, the quality of corpse is measured in this order: humanlike undead -> animal undead -> humanlike corpse (fresh) -> humanlike corpse (rotten) == animal corpse (fresh) -> animal corpse (rotten).  The quality of corpse also affects how much Healing Consumption heals the necro.
Consuming a humanlike corpse also provides the necromancer with a mood boost and rest, while consuming an animal corpse provides the necro with food.

So, all that being said - do we need an ability to "Release Undead"?  Stand-alone, necro only?  Maybe consume corpse becomes the learnable spell while Release Undead would be canon?

Also, I really expected the undead churn rate to be much higher, it's not intended to become attached to undead but rather use them as an expendable resource.  This is what I was initially shooting for, but open for debate.  There may be room down the line for an undead creature that's less... expendable.

Anyways, great feedback, keep it coming.  I haven't had a chance to do a playthrough with the necro myself so the suggestions and thoughts are a big help.

Torann

Quote from: Jan2607 on January 30, 2018, 10:18:16 AM
Do you plan to give the combat classes some more learnable abilities? There are so many scrolls that mages can learn but I would love to have some textbooks for my sniper.
Yes!  I'm glad you asked.  Toketsu had a great idea for "sustained" abilities and I've got quite a few stand-alone abilities planned that will function in this manner, and be usable by all the melee classes.  For example: "quick time" will increase movement speed by 20% but will require a 40% stamina to sustain.  You'll be able to toggle these abilities on and off.

Torann

Quote from: exuvo on January 30, 2018, 01:10:57 PM
Could you add a check for if the target pawn has the hunger need (or any needs at all) before adding the vomit job?
I added a check for both Fog of Torment and Disabling Shot, both of these abilities add vomit in the hediff they add.
Oh, zombies will now get healed inside the fog of torment, just like undead.

Harry_Dicks

Torann, you're awesome at this stuff!

Quote from: Torann on January 30, 2018, 10:27:41 PM
I'll see what I can do to make this more intuitive and provide more information in the GUI.

I think this will be a huge quality of life improvement. I will be honest with you, I think the spells/magic tab is layed out poorly. When I first started using it, I was a bit confused as to where the different abilities I could level up where. I wasn't sure if I had to go in any order or what, at least from any visual clues I ascertained from first glance.

About the necro and having a more "non throwaway summon." Thinking back to D2, the necro had I think 4-5 different golems to choose from that it could have summoned, only one at a time. Not sure if I am remembering everything correctly, but the golem would last a lot longer, or indefinitely. I think something like that would be awesome. Could spell upgrades have different branches? Wow, if you could have branches, for different KINDS of certain classes, man that would be fucking awesome.

A dark paladin versus a light paladin versus a gray paladin.
An ice mage that focuses more on area of effect vesus one that focuses on individual spells.
A druid that heals and protects or one that goes on the offense with nature and weather.

Maybe some spells are locked behind others, but some spells you could mix & match? Honestly, for me at least, I think it is twice as cool if you could have at least two variants for most classes. That way, if you say already have a druid as your only magic user, but then get another druid, you won't be as disappointed (at least I would be) that you didn't get something from a different class. Sure a second druid is nice, but not nearly as cool as it would be if you knew you could have *all* of the druid spells available to you at some point because you will be able to have one of each kind. Also, I'm the kind of person that when I would receive my magic user, and I finally get to a "crossroads" point where I must choose one path or another, I will sit there and stress about this choice over and over again. Not that it's a bad thing, I am definitely enjoying myself. More so enjoying myself with class variants, rather than have only one variant per class. I completely understand if this is not in your plans for the mod, but I thought it would at least be worth throwing out there! ;)

So, many, possibilities! I think I need to get deep into this mod while you are actively working on it and making so many changes. We can make this one for the books! ;)

Jan2607

Sounds great! :)
Why can't the druid heal mechanites?

Canute

Because this is called repair not healing ! :-)
You would need an alchemist for that with a restoration spell.

Yeeeesssss, you can say in a Sci-Fi setup, magic don't realy exist. All magic are just quantum and nanite effects. And nanites don't care if they restore/repair organic or anorganic.
But i think this isn't the intention of the mod author, he want the magic more the classic way.

WitchLyfe

Oh, knowing undead aren't supposed to gain skill exp and they're made to be temporary changes how I see them quite a bit and the exp loss on death makes more sense.  I got attached to my zombie as a crafter that's only possible because of a bug :(

Ah, well, I guess I should just drop my undead crafter.  She's been with me for 2 years though, it'll be a sad moment.  At least I can upgrade to a faster zombie.  She's kept my colonists clothed and made most the stone resources for my buildings though, such a useful little corpse, I'll miss her.  Maybe I'll make my first sarcophagus for her.  Most upsetting thing is my colonists probably all hate her even though she's saved them countless times, haha.

I would love a more permanent version if/when that stuff is going to be altered (Maybe a high tier/master spell or something where they still gain skill exp?), and a way to drop them without consuming the corpse would be nice.  You can keep a corpse freezer with useful summons to raise when the right situation arises.  Probably don't need a Thrumbo wandering around most the time but it'd sure be nice when a raid is plotting on your outskirts. 

I like the idea of Necromancers being able to plan ahead with corpses too.  So far they seem kinda weaker than other classes in straight up battles but more strategic.  I am still missing Corpse Explosion and the insta death spell that would probably help with that though, so my experience is a bit lacking (Literally).  Once the max mp exp thing is fixed, I should be able to start leveling them a bunch again.

Looking forward to future content.  This mod is pretty well balanced, I especially like that the enemies can use some special spells and attacks as well.  That early Paladin with shield and heal was sure a pain until I managed to shoot out his organs.

Jan2607

Is there any use for portfuel beside refueling used portals that fired their capsule? I wondered why my storage is full, here is the answer: Portfuel. Portfuel everywhere :D

exuvo

Quote from: Torann on January 30, 2018, 10:55:18 PM
I added a check for both Fog of Torment and Disabling Shot, both of these abilities add vomit in the hediff they add.
Oh, zombies will now get healed inside the fog of torment, just like undead.
Thanks!

Canute

Quote from: Jan2607 on January 31, 2018, 06:48:53 PM
Is there any use for portfuel beside refueling used portals that fired their capsule? I wondered why my storage is full, here is the answer: Portfuel. Portfuel everywhere :D
Currently there is no use for Portfuel.
A portal spawn complety full now and when a portal collapse the remaining portfuel lay on the ground instead to get destroyed.
You should exclude them from your stockpiles and create an extra one outside so it deteriort slowly.

Canute

Toran,
new issue with Minions and Pick up and haul
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35832.0
Minion's refuse to work, but all other pawn's and animals work/haul like they should
Exception in SetupToils (pawn=TM_MinionR271259, job=HaulToCell (Job_545255) A=Thing_Apparel_UCFASTStone263939 B=(138, 0, 220)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PickUpAndHaul.PawnUnloadChecker.CheckIfPawnShouldUnloadInventory (Verse.Pawn,bool) <0x0004f>
at PickUpAndHaul.HarmonyPatches.JobDriver_HaulToCell_PostFix (Verse.AI.JobDriver_HaulToCell) <0x000c8>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.AI.JobDriver_HaulToCell.MakeNewToils_Patch1 (object) <0x00030>
at Verse.AI.JobDriver.SetupToils () <0x00037>
lastJobGiver=RimWorld.JobGiver_Haul, curJob.def=HaulToCell, curDriver=Verse.AI.JobDriver_HaulToCell
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartErrorRecoverJob(String)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:SetupToils()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartJob_Patch1(Object, Job, JobCondition, ThinkNode, Boolean, Boolean, ThinkTreeDef, Nullable`1, Boolean)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick()
AbilityUser.PawnSummoned:Tick()
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/51f4978db7735e379ebd73609a5d1f13

When i remove that mod, minion start to work again.
I will post at the other mod topic too.

Jan2607

It would be great, if you could burn that port fuel in the crematory or use it as normal fuel.
Or just delete the fuel when the portal collapses.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Jan2607 on February 01, 2018, 07:32:08 AM
It would be great, if you could burn that port fuel in the crematory or use it as normal fuel.
Or just delete the fuel when the portal collapses.

You could just delete it through dev mode. Hmm, if Torann doesn't have any other planned uses for portfuel, I could make a patch that would allow you to refine it into chemfuel or something like that.

Jan2607

Yeah, I could delete it, but I don't like to use devmode, that's like cheating. It would be better if there is a solution in the mod included.