[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Since there's no longer a need to load it and it has no other function than to fuel the teleporter, I've made portfuel destroy on drop.

Canute

Good idea, but do it still explode ? :-)

Edixo

I absolutely love this mod. I've been playing around with physical classes, and I want to give my input on my favorite one; Sniper.

In order to have it be in the same genre as the others, why not rename it to Ranger? And, Disabling Shot might need a tweak, since I know many of us are playing with the Allow Tool mod that adds the Finish Off option to downed targets. With it and a sniper, you can kill a Thrumbo with two moves.
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

Torann

Quote from: Edixo on February 02, 2018, 04:20:04 AM
I absolutely love this mod. I've been playing around with physical classes, and I want to give my input on my favorite one; Sniper.

In order to have it be in the same genre as the others, why not rename it to Ranger? And, Disabling Shot might need a tweak, since I know many of us are playing with the Allow Tool mod that adds the Finish Off option to downed targets. With it and a sniper, you can kill a Thrumbo with two moves.
Wasn't really aware of that, I might just replace the downed state change with stun, or make a modified downed state.

Ranger is a separate class and is mid development right now and will likely be released this weekend (along with the priest class).

Canute

Some feedback about the minion's from the summoner.
A good trained summoner can have 6 or 8 minion at once. I think this is a bit overpowered.
What do you think to change the minion like the undead from the necro ?
You summon 1-2 minion/ greater minion depend on skills and they stay until the master leave the map,run out of mana or cancel the spell.

Maybe the same for elemental's.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Edixo on February 02, 2018, 04:20:04 AM

I think a ranger would be an awesome new class, but it should be separate from sniper. It would be cool, in my opinion, if the sniper was focused around guns, but the ranger was focused around any ranged weapon that are not gunpowder/lasers/high tech. Basically just bows and crossbows, pila, slings, etc. But the ranger will specialize also in having a few distinct companion pets. Maybe a wolf with special colors or markings, to make him stand out from regular wolves. Same thing with other traditional ranger pets, like bears, hawks, some kind of reptile thing, etc. You could also have special arrow spells, that could really do so many different things, especially if you borrow from other ranger classes from other games. Here's what I'm thinking, and mind that any summoned animal mentioned would be a special looking animal, not the normal looking ones, to make them stand out. Perhaps they could be spectral, but I don't really think of a ranger as summoning a spectral animal, but more of a physical, maybe slightly magical one. Also, in any of the beastial skills listed where I mention "ranger's pets" you could have these buffs apply to only a ranger's summoned animals, or regular animals that are assigned the ranger as a master, or any nearby colony animal, or any colony animal no matter where it is. Maybe the beastial skills could also buff the ranger, along with their pets. Perhaps the summoned animals do not leave filth, or do not require food.

Summon wolf (medium health, medium damage, medium speed)

Summon bear (high health, medium damage, slow speed)

Summon hawk (low health, medium damage, fast speed)

Summon snake (low health, high damage, medium speed)

Entangling shot (stops the target in place, they can still fight but cannot move for so many seconds)

Guiding arrow (100% accuracy with some extra damage)

Multishot (if there is an additional enemy within 1-4 cells from the initial target, with also a clear line of site, they will be damaged as well, additional levels could increase the amount of enemies hit)

Rain of vengeance (fire a magical arrow into the air, which will then cause dozens of arrows to fall into an AoE over the course of 5ish seconds, basically an AoE DoT)

Tar trap (able to setup a secret (like traps) tar trap/pit that will tar X amount of enemies for Y amount of time that pass over it, setting them up for a combo with flaming arrow)

Tarred arrow (slows the enemy down, and "tars" them, setting them up for a combo with flaming arrow)

Flaming arrow (low damage, but if the enemy is tarred, they will be set on fire)

Bleeding arrow (target will bleed, you could possibly have stacking effects, too)

Trailblazing (active or passive, the ranger will not be slowed down by any environmental factors, like moving over rocks or trees)

Elemental arrows (heat/cold/electric or whatever elemental damage, kinda boring though)

Beastial tranquility (able to calm a manhunter animal)

Beastial tongue (able to instantly tame a wild animal)

Beastial roar (boost the damage of the ranger's pets)

Beastial comfort (able to heal wounded animals)

Beastial endurance (add in a damage reduction to the ranger's pets)

Beastial charge (increases the ranger's pets speed)

Beastial feast (give your puppers some suppers!)

Also, if you do ever decide to have specialized classes, you could have the one ranger who focuses on arrows and ranged damage, one that is more focused on melee and setting traps, and one focused on pets and healing them along with their buffs.

Torann

Lot of good idea's for the ranger.  They will be distinct from the Sniper very similarly to how you're describing, where the ranger excels at bow/crossbow use and the sniper at more modern weapons.  Sniper can't use most skills without an advanced weapon right now.  Likewise, ranger will not be able to use at least 1 skill without a bow equipped, and the passive 'bow mastery' will only give a damage boost when using a bow.

The ranger will get a pet that is tamed, similar to any tamed animal, but will receive significant stat boosts for forming a bond with the ranger.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Torann on February 02, 2018, 11:41:17 AM
The ranger will get a pet that is tamed, similar to any tamed animal, but will receive significant stat boosts for forming a bond with the ranger.

Awesome. Will you do anything to make this pet stand out? Also, I am now going to have to find some cool bow textures. I honestly didn't ever care for bows before, unless tribal, but if we get the ranger class, it will give a whole new reason to have some interesting and unique bows/crossbows.

HerrColonel

Quote from: Torann on February 02, 2018, 11:41:17 AM
Lot of good idea's for the ranger.  They will be distinct from the Sniper very similarly to how you're describing, where the ranger excels at bow/crossbow use and the sniper at more modern weapons.  Sniper can't use most skills without an advanced weapon right now.  Likewise, ranger will not be able to use at least 1 skill without a bow equipped, and the passive 'bow mastery' will only give a damage boost when using a bow.

That seems quite interesting. Ranger will be the best class to fight along with a tamed animal if I get it right. It makes sense it uses ranged weapons, like sniper, but spec into low-tech weapons.

What I would suggest would be a single "boost tamed animal" ability instead of many abilities to boost either speed, attack or defense. That ability would buff attack dmg (or attack speed) and running speed of the pet, but also make it more resistant to dmgs for a short period of time. The resistance buff could be either like the paladin's shield (block X amount of dmg overall) or like the Gladiator's fortitude (block X amount of dmg of each strike. It's stronger against a swarm of low dmg attacks but weaker against hard-hitting pawns).

That ability would be good for attack but also for defense when you realize the pet is going to die in melee before your pawns are able to deal with the bad guys. But ofc it should be remaining for a very short time (Animals like thrumbos would be totally OP with that kind of permanent buff IMO)

I wouldn't suggest giving this class an animal manhunter cancel ability as the druid has one already, that would make the druid less useful.

Eventually I think a "Teleport my pet to me" (or whistle or anything but doing essentially that) ability could be nice. I like the arcane mage because it's so good to react to threats like "X is attacked by a wolf". In this case I pause and blink the arcane mage for instant help (also instant kill using magic projectiles). This ability would serve the same purpose for the ranger when in combat and alone, able to summon his pet from anywhere (but on the same map as the ranger) to help defending him.

Also is this class going to use might or magic?

Jan2607

I build that really expensive portal, but I didn't figure out yet how it works. Can someone explain it to me?

HerrColonel

Quote from: Jan2607 on February 02, 2018, 01:33:31 PM
I build that really expensive portal, but I didn't figure out yet how it works. Can someone explain it to me?
I didn't experience the persistent portal myself. I used the temporary teleport version but Torann also explained the other portal on page 19 post #6 of this thread. there must be all the answers you need https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37161.270

Jan2607

Radis_cale

Having played with this mod for quite some time already, I would like to give my opinion, i wrote this with the help of Google translation, I hope it will be understandable.

-About the druid spell cure disease, improving cure disease power at level 2 say: 75% chance to reduce severity by 2, and at level 3 it say: 52% chance to reduce severity by 2 and 32% chance to reduce severity by 3. Is it intended ? Is it me that doesn't understand something ?

-My summoner has killed three mechanoids without fighting and without any injury, and I do not even mention raids ravaged by one or two of my mages. Mages are overpowered, but it would not be funny if it was not the case, is there something planned for the future?

-Mana sickness, the idea of the mana drain event does not bother me that much, but seriously, why it takes so long to recover from mana sickness, and also the mages who do not have 100% mana at the beginning of the drain have a great chance of dying, it's a bit extreme.

I would like to share my ideas too.

-Change the mana drain event, instead of draining the mana, force the mages to use more mana to cast their spells, with why not a longer cooldown or even disable the most powerful spells.

-Paws could gain xp and / or recover mana / stamina by meditating or doing similar things.

-Everyone should be able to become a mage! Some would have a gift, others would be very bad at it, but with time and hard training, the efforts will be rewarded.

-Experienced pawns could share tips and tricks to others, if they like them, a fire mage could give advice to a novice ice mage, after all, the basis of magic should be the same for all, no ?

-Learn a new skill or improve it should not be instantaneous, pawns would have a chance to think of a new spell or improve a already known one, it could happen when the pawn uses spells, talks with other mages or meditates, it would be visible in the health tab, it would grow like a disease, and when it reaches 100% the pawn gets a new spell or improve an already known.

-Create backstories that Automatically grants magic or combat traits.

Love this mod, i hope you'll like some of my ideas.

WitchLyfe

I really like the idea that anybody could become a mage too.  But maybe they have much lower mana reserves or their spells are weakened, probably make it so it takes much longer to learn spells and/or they can't learn master spells.

I don't think it should be something that's easy and there should be a price for it (Having low mana reserves would make them really susceptible to mana drain events for example.) and I wouldn't want them being as strong as gifted type mages of course, but it would be cool.  Maybe they also have to be trained by another mage or something. 

Well anyways, I'd prefer that's something that's rare or toggle-able in the options and I think you already have plans to make mages more or less common, so that's similar in a way.

In my current game I haven't managed to capture a singler magic user alive yet.  Found a gifted pawn but I haven't been able to find them scrolls or whatever is needed to class them properly.  Been hoping for a Druid because my Necro lost his eye (Can a Druid even restore an eye?).  Also waiting/hoping for a fix for Necro exp before I continue that save, that'll be so helpful.

Don't mean to rush or anything, just looking forward to it.  I was having a lot of fun with this mod.  Actually, I might just start up a different class/scenario in the mean time.  Current game just has my Necro but maybe I'll try a Druid + Pally combo in my next one...  Sounds entertaining.

Canute

QuoteI really like the idea that anybody could become a mage too.  But maybe they have much lower mana reserves or their spells are weakened, probably make it so it takes much longer to learn spells and/or they can't learn master spells.

Very curious.
He mention that mages are overpowered, but then he want that everyone become a mage! :-) To made them are rare is the only way to balance them.
But otherhand, if anyone is a mage, mellee fights would be very difficult when everyone can explode ! :-)

If you want every pawn with spells/abilities maybe try out the Vampire mod.