[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radis_cale

Soft drawn does not decrease the stasmina cost of the Ranger Arrow Storm.
Mages are not marked when the game is paused.
Mana pylons destroy furniture (such as chairs) and trade beacons when placed on them.

A pawn with a very low movement is downed when it casts a large spell due to arcane weakness, which results in a waste of mana and an un-cast spell.

Why not adding an event like Incapacitated refugee, but with a mage you can rescue, it would have a small chance to happen after a mana drain event ?

Torann

Quote from: Radis_cale on February 04, 2018, 07:01:16 PM
Soft drawn does not decrease the stasmina cost of the Ranger Arrow Storm.
Ah, thanks.  I just uploaded the fix.

Quote from: Radis_cale on February 04, 2018, 07:01:16 PM
Mages are not marked when the game is paused.
Meant to fix that last update but it's fixed now.

Also fixed: elemental rift can no longer be deconstructed or claimed; AI won't continue to buff themselves if they're already buffed.

Harry_Dicks

What is the difference between a Woodsman and Ranger?

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 05, 2018, 01:26:17 AM
What is the difference between a Woodsman and Ranger?
Ranger, like Sniper and Bladedancer, has multiple stages to their trait.  Stages can be advanced through training.
Ranger: woodsman->hunter->scout->ranger

Canute

At 1.8.1 When a pawn leave the map with the gateway, the bed don't get unassigned. Not a major issue, but when you can fix it.

I notice at all these world events, the rewards allways was Torn/magical scripts. Not a single combat style.
Is this just unluck or did you didn't add them as reward.

Jackalvin

Hi, just started playing with the new classes, and I have another class suggestion:
The Pysker
Able to move and shape matter just by thoughts, the Psyker is a subtle manipulator of the battlefield.
Toss
The caster launches a selected target through the air. the target becomes a weapon, dealing blunt damage to all in their way. For extra awesomeness, make this a skill: At level 0, the target will break through wood doors. At level 1, the target will go through steel doors and wood walls. At level two, The target will go though steel walls and stone doors. At level 3, the target will go through most walls and all doors.

Crush. The targeted area will have higher gravity. All who pass through are slowed and get dealt blunt damage.

Wall of force
An impassable barrier is put up to block gunfire and movement. This has a limited time.

Telepathy
This grants colonists more sight and manipulation for a long time, at the cost of their social life "Y's thinking about B! That bastard!

Ultimate: Pysker's scream.
This has a large aoe, and only affect enemies. The effects varies:
Deaf: No effect
Dull: Stun
Normal: Ear damage, mood debuff and Stun
Sensitive: Massive ear damage, blood losses out of orifices
Hypersensitive: Cranial Hemorrhaging, massive brain trauma.

-Insert Witty Joke Here-

WitchLyfe

Nice fixes, didn't know if enemies not showing their mage status was just me until the patch.  I don't have to run my Necro around casting spells awkwardly every time their mp maxes, whooo.  Finally able to start leveling some of the offensive spells.

Can any heal spells heal scars?  By the sound of it, I thought Rejuv from the Druid would.  Seems tough to balance so I understand why that might not be possible, just wish it was a little clearer.

Any way to lower the cost of the upkeep on zombies?  Seems like the mana cost reduction for casting spells probably doesn't help that.  Noticed even with 3/5 regen I still lose mana with 2.  Also noticed zombies regen their missing body parts when revived, I didn't know that...I've been tossing them away when they lose a limb.  Is that new?  I might revive one of my older zombies...  I still like having one always around as a clean and misc job bot, and prepped for raids.

Killing my colonist zombie so I could rerevive them after I level the undead passive caused massive social penalties for my Necro.  A -10 with his wife seems to not be going away at all...that sucks x.x  Little thing but my zombie still carries around food too even though they don't eat.

At least I finally managed to catch a fire mage and find a Druid scroll for my gifted pawn.  The buff from the fire mage is pretty misleading at initial levels and becomes really strong when maxed.  Wish I could know that ahead of time.  I've found some spells to not scale so well.  Hard to tell where to put points.

I find it kinda odd that mana potions use existing drugs, I was hoping they'd have their own herbs and stuff.  I wanna make a little alchemy/potion/growing room for my mages, lol.  Gotta look up some mage/fantasy armor and clothes too...  I wonder if there's a caldron and witch type furniture somewhere as well.

Wonder if it's possible to make an all mage team with how rare they are.  I kinda wanna try a run where I don't use any traditional weapons unless it's their specialty (My Necro running around with a sniper rifle always feels odd, haha).  Necro would be terrible for that, but maybe Fire/Ice/Lightning could do it.  There a chance we could get staves or wands or something that do a basic magic attack instead of using firearms?  I'd love that, even if they don't have any bonuses to magic use.  Magic hunters using them instead of firearms would help a lot with immersion.

Harry_Dicks

Torann I was curious about the Ranger. To get the boost from bows, does the game know if you are using a bow but it's from a mod? I want to use the bow from the Forsakens mod, but will your mod recognize it as a bow? I didn't know if there was something in the defs that actually differentiates between firearms and bows that your mod uses.

Anyway, I was thinking of having a class called the Tactician/Engineer. His abilities would "create/summon" temporary structures that will last until new ones are placed elsewhere, or they are destroyed from damage. The focus of abilities would revolve around two or three specialized turrets that could be created, along a barrier or two, possibly some other stationary things to create, like healing wards, buffing wards, etc. Give them a nice balance of defensive damage and supporting skills. A good chunk of the skills that the tactician upgrades will enable his turrets to gain new abilities. For example, as he levels skills they could: give turrets and occasional area of attack round that fires every so often, give turrets the ability to increasingly slow their targets, make turrets fire faster/more often/longer bursts.

He could also create temporary barriers, forcing enemies to try to break through them or be forced to go around. This makes the class able to direct the flow of battle to their control, bringing enemies to where it will be best for the colony. Maybe the tactician can also set wards and/or traps. These could be healing wards, stun wards, increase accuracy wards, force field wards, shield wards, fast/slow wards, all kinds of fun status buffs/debuffs/affects. Really you could take these offensive/defensive/utility devices in many directions.

I'm thinking of this class as one of the better defensive/support roles, especially with all stationary things they create. Thoughts?

Quote from: Canute on February 05, 2018, 10:53:33 AM
At 1.8.1 When a pawn leave the map with the gateway, the bed don't get unassigned. Not a major issue, but when you can fix it.

What? If that's true, how is that possible Torann? I ask because other people were asking in a different thread if there was a way to make people stay assigned to their things even if they leave the map. I think this was stuff for like dubs Bad Hygiene, but there are other situations where people don't want any of their colonists' stuff to get unassigned. Is there a toggle for this or anything? Could a pawn be assigned to a bed in one map, and a bed in another at the same time?

Torann

Quote from: Jackalvin on February 05, 2018, 01:30:02 PM
Hi, just started playing with the new classes, and I have another class suggestion:
The Pysker
Really like this idea, ill add it to the list of possible new classes.

Quote from: WitchLyfe on February 05, 2018, 02:50:44 PM
Can any heal spells heal scars? 
Yes, the priest spell "purify" can heal scars, brain damage, age related or genetic weaknesses (like asthma or frailty), and reduce or remove addiction withdrawal.  You can actually cure someone of luciferium, though it's hard.  Purify is a high mana cost spell and drains the priest, and even at maxed power, purify will only cure .2 luciferium severity each time it's used.  Consuming luciferium once starts a pawn at .5 severity, and each additional dose adds .1 severity... so certainly not an easy thing to do and the clock is against you.  The priest can not heal missing limbs.

The Druid spell "cure disease" is only for curing infections and diseases, it does nothing for genetic failings or scars.  The regeneration spell from the druid acts as a "heal over time" which heals small amounts of physical damage (cuts, bruises, etc) each time it ticks.  The Druid gets "regrow limb" and, like the name says, regrows limbs only (feet, hands, legs, arms), but does nothing currently for eyes, nose, etc.

Between the two classes, you should be able to cure pretty much everything though.

Quote from: WitchLyfe
Any way to lower the cost of the upkeep on zombies undead?  Seems like the mana cost reduction for casting spells probably doesn't help that.
You know, that's a great point.  Right now the only thing that really helps a necro out is the global skill "Clarity" as it increases amount of mana gained.  I'll probably add a reduction in upkeep cost through the "Cheating Death" skill.

Quote from: WitchLyfe
Killing my colonist zombie so I could rerevive them after I level the undead passive caused massive social penalties for my Necro.
Well that's not supposed to happen, I thought I'd gotten all the negative thoughts from an undead dying, can you tell me what the caption on the mood penalty is?

Also agree on the item stuff, it's coming in the near future - along with enchantments and useable, magical items.

I notice at all these world events, the rewards allways was Torn/magical scripts. Not a single combat style.
Is this just unluck or did you didn't add them as reward.
I think just unlucky, I double checked and they're definitely in there.  They don't have "torn" versions so that reduces the chance for the class book a bit.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 05, 2018, 06:57:31 PM
Torann I was curious about the Ranger. To get the boost from bows, does the game know if you are using a bow but it's from a mod?
This goes through several filters to (hopefully) be as flexible as possible without allowing non-bows.
I just checked and can confirm the forsaken bow is recognized as a valid bow to use with the ranger and the damage bonus is applied as well.

Anyway, I was thinking of having a class called the Tactician/Engineer. Thoughts?
I'll have to see, I'd like to try to keep any mechanical skills out of the mod so that people playing on low tech games can easily use the mod; this is why the sniper can't use skills without a gun. Also very similar to the summoner class.  That being said, you won't mind if I use some of the idea's for stand-alone spells do you?  ;)

What? If that's true, how is that possible Torann?
Interesting.  I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I bypass all normal "exit map" functions when moving a pawn through a portal.  But it sounds like there might be some merit to the behavior to look into, though I'm not sure what the disadvantages would be but I'm sure there are some...

billyma6

Hey guys, you know there's a Make Rain spell for the water class right? Why not a Clear Skies one for the fire class? It'd be useful when you make it rain and then change your mind, or if it's already raining, stop it for improving aim in battles as an example.

WitchLyfe

Social penalty is just "Killed Colonist: -10".  There's no mood debuff, but it is hurting all his relationships and causing problems.  I can't see any detailed info on it unless there's a way with the dev menu.  Would love to see the duration if possible but I can't figure out how to.  He hasn't attacked/killed anybody but the undead.  I thought only his wife had it but it's actually all colonists.

I like that the Druid seems to have beef with the Necro over his choice of profession though.

Oh, just remembered one time I tried euthanizing the undead to avoid issues before I had consume corpse and got penalties for that too, lol.  Same killed colonist social hit and a euthanized colonists mood debuff.  Actually, my doctor still has that social penalty on all the colonists, that musta been a year ago at least, dang.  I don't have corpse explosion yet, but maybe that triggers it as well? Wonder about consume corpse.

Oh, cool about the items and stuff, something new to look forward to.

Starting a new colony to test out the Priest and found a Summoner quickly, this should be interesting.  A Paladin just dropped out of the sky right next to my base too, he almost took out my solar panels.  Well this is pretty dang close to a total magic squad at this point.  He joined on first attempt, haha.

My Priest has tried tending to people twice without using medicine (even though they're set to use best meds and there are meds like 10 steps away), what's up with that?  I'll try to test it more. Edit:  Didn't happen next time, hmm.  I'll try to watch for that, maybe it was because they were about to be fully healed naturally or something.

Love the Summoner minion, it's so helpful.  Though I'm contemplating changing the sprite to something more...Demongirly or imp-like, lol.

Canute

Quote from: Torann on February 05, 2018, 09:47:49 PM
What? If that's true, how is that possible Torann?
Interesting.  I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I bypass all normal "exit map" functions when moving a pawn through a portal.  But it sounds like there might be some merit to the behavior to look into, though I'm not sure what the disadvantages would be but I'm sure there are some...
I think you can ignore this.
Yes the bed don't get unassigned, right after the pawn leave the map.
But once these pawn seeks a new bed, the bed at the other colony got free.

WitchLyfe

Mage traders might be a tad overstocked.  My colony wealth just went from 52k to 135k after taking one out, lmao. 

Summoner is a wee bit strong as well with the turrets and mines it seems.  A level 1 turret was just shredding enemies left and right (the 3 shots seemed to kill or chunk enemies by half).  The mine exploded I think but stayed on the ground (Something exploded...)?  I guess that's a pretty hard event to balance for since I had so much prep time and could snipe out the most dangerous threat (Outside Fire Mage), before we even started the fight.  Going to have to nickname my Summoner "Caravan Ambusher".

I think I still got lucky, they were split between outside and inside my base, put a turret and mine outside and took care of the ones inside first (Some lived and remained trapped).  They fled real quick and I managed to gun down all their slow ass dromedary before they could escape.  My paladin running around shanking bitches and dromedary was pretty funny.

Got the Priest revive spell and a bunch of scrolls and spells to choose from for my gifted pawn, Priest, Paladin, Summoner.  Revived one of the Fire Mages with the new Priest resurrection spell (without penalty) and captured them too.  I don't think this run could be much better/easier, lol.  I'm about to have all the mage classes at this point.

Being able to take out a whole mage caravan should be a lot tougher if they're going to be that loaded.  They just got wrecked, I didn't even have any injuries.  Was surprised by how quickly they fled, I think it was partly because some were trapped inside.  Upside is the coming raids should be a pain in the ass.

So tldr:  Summoner might need some nerfing, they're incredibly powerful.  Probably shouldn't be able to summon the defense structure and mine so easily with how strong they are at least.  Mage caravan might need a bit of toning down early game as well.  They seem to have a massive stock over vanilla caravans at the same wealth point.

Tried running the event again and didn't do nearly as well, so maybe it was a bit of luck/skill.  I think them all being grouped up on the mine was the big thing.  Ay, now I don't feel so bad about winning since I was a lot more careful with placement the first time.

Mine also seems to have a lot smaller explosion radius than the blast it seems, kinda misleading, is that the max range it can boom?  I haven't upgraded it yet.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Torann on February 05, 2018, 09:47:49 PM
I'll have to see, I'd like to try to keep any mechanical skills out of the mod so that people playing on low tech games can easily use the mod; this is why the sniper can't use skills without a gun. Also very similar to the summoner class.  That being said, you won't mind if I use some of the idea's for stand-alone spells do you?  ;)

I understand what you mean. Okay, well maybe we can re imagine this as a witch doctor? Instead of turrets, he will summon temporary totems and wards. He will still be limited to say 3 totems, which would essentially be like temporary turrets in a way. I'm thinking either all three totems are the same and have the same abilities, or have one big, one little, and one other... maybe utility totem. If you have the 3 different totems, you could of course let them all 3 have different abilities that they use periodically, direct attacks or area of effect abilities that radiate out from the totem, or other abilities that affect all enemies within a radius of the totem.

These totems could either be invulnerable or you could destroy them, not sure. I'm thinking you can destroy them, but they have a decent amount of health, and they also have a decent cooldown on each of them, maybe a 1-2 minutes each. This will make the decision of where you place them when a battle starts very important, and you can't just go throwing them out there all willy-nilly and wasting them. But you also want a decent balance so that if you encounter these totems as an enemy, you can make a decision to take them out or not, disabling the witch doctors powers, while not having to sacrifice too much of your own time/health/opportunity.

The witch doctor could also have temporary wards that he summons, which he could possibly have more than one of each. Things like healing wards, speed wards, aiming wards, armor wards, etc. Maybe something like stun/slow/negative accuracy wards for offense as well?

Maybe for the temporary barriers it could be something like a "wall of overgrowth" that sprouts up from the ground, or more kind of voodoo magic and it's a "barrier of shadow arms and hands" reaching out from the abyss, slowing and/or damaging anything trying to cross it.

I'm also thinking the witch doctor could have some fun damage over time or poison or disease abilities. Maybe he could heal diseases, if you don't have that already for other classes, or he could make enemies have a new disease that would have near immediate effects, so that way it would be worth using in battle. Maybe they fight for your side for a time, or they go insane and kill themselves. Maybe they attack their allies (your enemies) with a poison bite or attack, that will kill them over time, forcing their old allies to kill their old buddy before he infects more of them.

Maybe the witch doctor can curse enemies, or curse a ground beforehand, or have an active aoe curse with status effects for the enemies. Mass slow, confusion, make enemies throw all of their weapons 10 cells away, make it so if enemies that cross this barrier will heal anyone for X% that attacks them.

I don't know, just some fun ideas. Of course Torann you are more than welcome to use any of them. In fact, I would be ecstatic if they do make it into your mod! ;D

EDIT: Also, if the witch doctor could make enemies have a heart attack, I think that would be really fun. Imagine if a witch doctor raider makes one of your super healthy pawns have a heart attack in the middle of battle. Now you've got to get one of his battle buddies to haul him off immediately to the operating room, times-a-tickin'!

Or a witch doctor has made some enemies go (temporarily or permanently) blind! Now their accuracy is whatever it is for a pawn has that has no vision! Or maybe they go 90% blind? Or maybe the blind severity increases as the spell level does? Maybe it could be cast multiple times to stack? ;)

Blindness, deafness, jaw stops working so they have trouble eating, I'm thinking of all sorts of interesting voodoo hexes and curses and how witch doctors/voodoo priests had those little dolls that they could damage and it would hurt the person in real life. Also, hexes, forces people to turn into a pig or cow or something, again temporary or permanent!

To sum it up, when I think of a witch doctor or voodoo priest, I imagine this: Totems, wards, hexes, poisons and damage over times, odd afflictions and debuffs, area status effects, things from the "abyss", maybe even arms/tentacles/shadow limbs all appearing out of either the ground or some sort of temporary swirly portal thing that they "reach out from" if any of this makes sense.

Also, you could build the whole "theme" around voodoo, witch doctors, "occult priests", "dark arts/magics" that sort of stuff.

I will be so freakin' ecstatic if Torann even uses any of these!

billyma6

Speaking of disarming pawns, what about a spell that makes pawns drop their weapon when cast? It could give an advantage in battle as they'd be left defenseless after the spell.