[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heni

I dont have seen any bug in the mod for now. i wish to ask if is possible to make the undead of the necromancer rotten or squeletons will be nice! Add some clothes and armors for every class will be very good too! (sorry my english)

SihvMan

Quote from: SihvMan on March 06, 2018, 01:22:21 PM
Idea/Request: Scroll manufacturing. Mages can use magicyte to scribe scrolls of spells/scripts that they know. It's been kinda weird that my "mages society" colony can't exchange known spells/train magically gifted apprentices.

Got bored and filled my own request. Figured I'd share it here in case anyone was interested:
https://github.com/SihvMan/Rim-of-Magic---Book-Maker

This sub-mod (which requires Rimworld of Magic to be loaded) allows the production of "Unfinished" Martial and Arcane books for 300 magicyte apiece. Then, pawns with magic or physical traits can write into these books to make the appropriate scripts to train new pawns.

Torann, feel free to use as much or as little as you want from this.

Now to figure out how to do the same for scrolls...

Torann

Made some minor bug fixes in v1.9.3 to fix the elemental rift issues and the power node failure to expire.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 08, 2018, 08:00:20 PM
Summoners ultimate could make all of his summons gain new temporary abilities(eg. 2x movement, or attacks have splash damage and double speed, all attacks slow, etc.), or summon a new group of temporary summons(a couple battle thrumbos?) Something that they would want to use at the height of the battle/just the right moment?
Hmm, interesting... what about elementals that gained magic skills according to their element?  Or should that be the norm?  Maybe a new type of summon where it calls (depending on which upgrade is chosen) an elemental mage or an elemental prince?

Quote from: Heni on March 09, 2018, 12:00:01 PM
I dont have seen any bug in the mod for now. i wish to ask if is possible to make the undead of the necromancer rotten or squeletons will be nice! Add some clothes and armors for every class will be very good too! (sorry my english)
Good suggestions - I'll see what it will take to give undead an color caste/overlay so they look more undead-like.  Items/Armor/Weapons are being developed; I'm at different stages for drawing of 4 different armor/robe graphics, 1 staves and 1 sword, plus Draegon1993, the auther of "Biomes" mod, contributed some graphics as well. These items will look and feel more magical in nature, and play to a mage or fighter strengths but won't have the same armor ratings of conventional tech armor.

Quote from: henk on March 08, 2018, 09:26:59 PM
Dry ground says it only works on muddy ground, but it should work on shallow water too. It does not work on shallow ocean water. Is that intended? It seems ocean water is a different ground type than shallow water...
It should work on shallow water, but only freshwater.  Ocean tiles are a completely different tile type and aren't affected by dry ground. Should also work on marshy ground.

Torann

Quote from: SihvMan on March 09, 2018, 02:21:24 PM
Idea/Request: Scroll manufacturing. Mages can use magicyte to scribe scrolls of spells/scripts that they know. It's been kinda weird that my "mages society" colony can't exchange known spells/train magically gifted apprentices.

Got bored and filled my own request. Figured I'd share it here in case anyone was interested:

This sub-mod (which requires Rimworld of Magic to be loaded) allows the production of "Unfinished" Martial and Arcane books for 300 magicyte apiece. Then, pawns with magic or physical traits can write into these books to make the appropriate scripts to train new pawns.

That's awesome, nice work.
If you prefer, you can always directly contribute to the mod itself through github:  https://github.com/TorannD
I'd be happy to roll it up under the mod, if you want, as I planned to add something like this in the future (though it's several updates away on my roadmap), or leave it as an add-on.

WitchLyfe

Nice fixes/additions since the last time I played.  My Necro still ended up with the "Killed Colonist" debuff somehow, even though I've been dismissing, so I guess that still counts as killing (Even though I rezed them afterwards).  At least it's more convenient.  So glad mana isn't wasted anymore on fail casting, I think the only time I had that happen since the fix is when I was trying to revive someone and my animal hauled the corpse off, haha.  Can't do much about that.  Oh, and undead portraits sometimes get stuck in the "Downed" mode after being revived, seems just graphical but figured I should mention it.

Summoner seems a lot more balanced, only issue I've seen with them is the AI dropping mines directly on your characters and them going boom before you can even react.  I wouldn't mind a delay before they can be triggered/explode (Including for your own Summoner) to give some counterplay.  They can even catch you with them while your pawns are running sometimes.  100% to insta dead pretty often.  I don't mind it being something that can kill or maim easily if you're negligent, but only way I've found to avoid it completely is stay out of its range or bait it with animals (Or undead :3) or something.  Ranged mines just seem incredibly difficult to balance though.

An enemy lighting mage also amped my characters (None of their allies were nearby), so I think it might have "Target enemy" AI instead of "Target ally", I didn't mind the help though, lol.

Now the major issue is with arcane mages.  Holy hell they're strong as hell as enemies.  I still need to test them more as allies but confusion seems nuts.  I've been testing common mages, so I'm getting a lot of first hand knowledge of how oppressive some of the ai is with some classes.  Getting an arcane mage and Summoner in a raid against you is pretty GG if you don't have sacrifices prepared.

I also don't really understand the point of enemy mages exploding on death.  It's to make it more difficult to acquire them right?  But they usually just take out most of their teammates and make fights easier, lol.  I put the aoe radius/explosion down so I can't use them as a free bomb, but it's still kinda sad to have them blow themselves up.  Could it be possible to just make them much more resistant to joining you or something?  I usually end up just savescumming until they don't explode if I really want them, kinda defeats the point.  Already have the random death rng fucking with you, seems like that should be enough.

Pretty crazy for them to OHKO all your melee attackers on death too with default settings.  That seems more like it should be the special move of a Paladin or something than the default for all mages to explode on death.  Oh, that'd be interesting if Paladins exploded on death and auto revived once a battle, hmm.

Looking forward to trying out the enchanting (Need to find jade) and I dig the max mana increase passive.  I hope the rest of the master spells are coming soon.

Oh, just noticed mana potions show up under drugs and magic items in the categorized inventory ui.

SihvMan

Quote from: Torann on March 09, 2018, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: SihvMan on March 09, 2018, 02:21:24 PM

That's awesome, nice work.
If you prefer, you can always directly contribute to the mod itself through github:  https://github.com/TorannD
I'd be happy to roll it up under the mod, if you want, as I planned to add something like this in the future (though it's several updates away on my roadmap), or leave it as an add-on.

Roll it up into the mod. Still new to github, so you'll have to walk me through it if something needs to be done on my end.

Heni

Torann is good to see that you team is doing an excelent work!

Torann

Update v1.9.4 comes almost exclusively courtesy of SihvMan, so big thanks for the contributions.

• Adds the feature to create scrolls and skill books; new research and production tools were added to accompany this feature.

• Also adds a new branch of magic research and crafting that allows the construction of Gems of Insight - these powerful (and costly) gems allow a mundane pawn to gain the Gifted or Physical Prodigy traits

Dezan

Managed to get a screencap of the error.

The Elemental Assault runs for a while doing nothing but spitting out those errors and then locks up Rimworld indefinitely.

I'm just assuming here but the duration seems to be long enough for it to be the closing of the event, or maybe a second phase?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Dezan,
at your screenshot we can see the green button "Share logs" maybe try to use it next time instead of a screenshot ! :-)
If it fail to upload, you need to update hugslib mod.

Torann

Quote from: Dezan on March 11, 2018, 12:59:17 AM
Managed to get a screencap of the error.

The Elemental Assault runs for a while doing nothing but spitting out those errors and then locks up Rimworld indefinitely.

I'm just assuming here but the duration seems to be long enough for it to be the closing of the event, or maybe a second phase?
Those errors look like something is failing between the type defined in xml and the type being used in C#.  What version are you using?  An easy fix might be to delete the mod folder then do a clean install of the latest version.  You might also want to make sure you've got the latest version of JecsTools.

amimai

I'll now have a slave army of the undead to do my bidding, clean my fortress and mine stone for the stonecutters -my thoughts the last time I got a primitive villager raid on my colony!

really necromancer or summoner have to be the best classes early on, free labour is best labour, at the rate i get new volunteers from the villages i don't even need to worry about their health or well being, only necromancers deserve food, everyone else can simply survive on mana!

WitchLyfe

Quote from: amimai on March 11, 2018, 03:51:47 PM
I'll now have a slave army of the undead to do my bidding, clean my fortress and mine stone for the stonecutters -my thoughts the last time I got a primitive villager raid on my colony!

really necromancer or summoner have to be the best classes early on, free labour is best labour, at the rate i get new volunteers from the villages i don't even need to worry about their health or well being, only necromancers deserve food, everyone else can simply survive on mana!

Yeah, probably my favorite class even though I don't use the death mark or corpse explosion (I might start testing them, just not really my playstyle.).  I do wish the Necromancer could bond with their undead, they must be so lonely, lol.  I really like their aoe too, one of the more balanced ones since it's hard to catch manhunter and moving enemies with it (I think it doesn't effect mechs either).  I wonder if the Necro can keep 2 undead up without losing mana now with the upkeep reduction.  I should test that soon, I almost have that and their regen maxed.

I wonder what their master spell will be, there's a ton of good options for them. 

Love Priest too, it's hard to play without them.  Their aoe heal seemed really weak the couple times I tested it, but maybe that's because I didn't have too many points into it and its passives yet.  For how strong they are everywhere else, not a big deal.  Could still be useful recovering your whole team/animals after a battle anyways.  Resurrection is just the best thing ever...

Druid master spell seems pretty underwhelming, but EPOE is to blame for that.  Would be great without it.  Bionics are usually way easier than finding and using the Druid regrow.  Only time I see that being useful is on prosthophobes.

Another issue I'm having with using a mostly mage team is everybody and their grandma has massive buffs, it's so easy to stack insane modifiers on all pawns.  I just started not raising some like Lightning Mage's AMP because I already have Priest and Arcane Mage for buffing.  Leveling my mage team's skills is also a full time job during a mana surge, lol.

Still haven't found jade to play with enchanting yet...  I dunno what the better choice is between regen and max mana (Is mp regen flat per tick or work with your max mp?).  I should check the options next time I play.

henk

Druid regrowth is great for tribal starts, who don't have access to electricity and bionics. The only downside is the need for mana potions, which require industrial-era drugs to make.

I'm hoping the balance pass comes soon. Pretty much every class has multiple overpowered spells which end fights, and it's no fun to get no challenge or have them used against you.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: henk on March 11, 2018, 07:10:12 PM
Druid regrowth is great for tribal starts, who don't have access to electricity and bionics. The only downside is the need for mana potions, which require industrial-era drugs to make.

I'm hoping the balance pass comes soon. Pretty much every class has multiple overpowered spells which end fights, and it's no fun to get no challenge or have them used against you.

I still haven't even made mana potions, I just found nero finally so I might try that soon.

Agreed, siege's are a complete joke now.  Any of the aoe abilities can pretty much one shot them as they set up.  Most raids can be baited with a single animal or undead into halting in an aoe too.  Manhunter packs can still be obnoxious though since they charge you.

Basically the default enemy human AIs are to blame for aoes being so OP.  If they tried running out of the aoe radius, that would be awesome.  Not sure if that's possible though.  ATM I usually just try to avoid the heavy aoe classes and abilities.  I still haven't played with  the Fire/Lightning/Ice mages too much for that reason.  I really wanna make a little pyro if/when they're balanced a bit more.  That snakeing fire attack (Fireclaw) is probably my favorite offensive spell so far.  I like that their firebolt can miss too, I think most targeted abilities should be like that.