[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: amimai on March 12, 2018, 02:14:25 PM
(Looks at crazy rant)Mmm moving along...
(Looks at some fool's nonsense)Mmm yeah an idiot who thinks if they say the magical phrase "crazy rant" then it will instantly negate any valid criticism towards themselves.

henk

Summoners with well-leveled turrets can win fights by themselves... Turrets will benefit from cover, too, and since minions love to rush into battle, you'll never be out of expendable meatshields while you have a summoner.

Now, if only minions didn't bleed all over the place...

WitchLyfe

Well the good news is that if you have mages on common occurrence, eventually raids become terrifying.  If you don't have time to set everybody up or focus all their mages, you start eating aoes finally.  Had to run most my team out of a Storm Cloud right after a Fog of Torment.  Some got stuck stunned or puking and my healer had to save them all while my Undead and Summoner minions caught up.  "Attacking immediately" type raids are still about as bad as manhunter packs thankfully.  As long as you don't use a crazy kill box anyways (I never do, even in vanilla).

I really hope the fights in the future are more like that with Sieges and Waiting type raids.  It was nice because there weren't any "cheap" enemy classes and I couldn't just bait the enemies all into one aoe from safety with my Undead tanking/distracting.  That was the first time I felt like it was an actual raid.  Of course, once my team got set up, it was over damn fast, lol.  Two undead, level 3 summons, near maxed fog of tormet, gg.

First time I've really taken damage.  A lot of that was a wolf deciding to munch on my Summoner just as it started though.  Stopped her from being able to set up her stuff in the right place.  Guns were just absolutely pointless though as expected, lol.  95% of the damage on either side was magic.  Kinda considering putting mages to max now that my team is finished just to see what a horde of mages in a raid is like...  Then I remember what happens if the enemy team has some Summoners/Arcane Mages...Lol.

I've gotta start using my Arcane Mage synergy more often, I just recently leveled up her Blink and Summon stuff.  Maybe just me but I find having more than 3-4 mages in a team to be pretty overwhelming.  I like focusing on a small elite team.  Now that I've tested most the classes a bit, I'll probably go back to a more selective set up like that next colony.

amimai

Quote from: WitchLyfe on March 12, 2018, 06:34:23 PM
-snip
you needed more fireballs, fire solves every problem!

btw if i enable hard mode magic AI it causes all mages to asplode on incapacitation, is that intended? (not that watching a siege go off like fireworks from a single shot isn't funny)

Gungnier

I have a lot of general and spell/class ideas so i made a big list of it i hope you find them interesting

General idea:
-Bag of holding: goes into shield belt slot and increase carry capacity
-"rare" spell its like the spell scrolls which can be learned by every mage but its unique to the classes like the ultimate spells

Here my spell ideas:
Arcane Mage:
-Arcane Barrier: a sandbag like temporary fortification

Ice Mage:
-Ice wall:a temporary wall of ice

Druid:
Dryads blessing:AOE spell which makes crops instantly grow by 25%

Fire mage:
Cauterize Wound:Instantly treats every bleeding but counts as a really bad treatment (high infection chance)

Lightning Mage:
Machine overload: Doubles the work speed on the (electricity using) "machine" but increases its break chance.

Necromancer:
Preserve corpse: Makes a corpse into "frozen" state for a week.

Paladin:
Purify: Aoe spell which "cleans" the area

Priest:
Blessed Feast:Summon Blessed Lavish Meal for nutrition and mood buff

Summoner:
-Permanence: Limits mana by 20% for every use: makes one Time out type summon permanent (summons,mines,turrets)

New classes:

Trickster: Mana based class
Trait:
+Dodge chance
+Movement speed
+Better trade prizes

Skills:
-Apport: high cooldown and high mana cost, teleports a random item from the target inventory or equipped items in front of you but has a 20% chance to fail and to damage instead (upgrade to lower fail chance to 1%) (upgrade to take 2 and finally 3 random items)
-Jack in the box: Summon a trap which on activation cauzes terror (upgrade to increase range)
-Mirror image: summon 2 "clones" nearby which cant attack or or do anything but the enemy still targets them as usual pawns
-Cheat death: (Ultimate spell only from scroll) Transfer every non permanent injury you have to your "humanoid" target, high cd and gives you a strong consciousness debuff

Totemist: mana based melee class
trait:
+movement speed
+hit chance
+art crafting speed

Add totems into the sculptor's table which normally servers as simple decoration but have 3 type: Bear,Cougar,Monkey

Skills:
-Totemic Might(passive):Bonus manipulation,movement speed,some type of damage reduction
-Infuse Totem:Infuses a totem with mana which gives an aura buff to every friendly nearby:
   -Bear: +% all armor
   -Cougar: +melee hit chance
   -Monkey: +Dodge Chance
Buff size depends on the quality of totem and totem gets destroyed after one use.
-Carve Tatoo: Like the druid regrow limb spell but ads a "tatoo" to the torso which reduces Pain Shock Threshold and adds bonus manipulation and moving
-Ancestors ritual: Can be used only on masterwork or legendary totem to summon a pack of friendly combat ready animals based on totem (times out like elementals)

Jackalvin

I have some ultimate ideas as well as classes (also, do fighters have ults or will they?)
Ultimates
Necromancer: Necroexercitus
Summons a massive undead army off-map. Takes a day or two to come. They are none controllable but friendly. They slowly crumble and die
Priest: The Servant Of Heaven
A fiery sword of radiance strikes a large portion of the map, dealing light damage to all those who are not pure of heart, and double to necromancers and psychopaths.
Classes
Lucky - This person is a... Odd one at best. They can control some factors of luck.
Passive H-how?: The Lucky doesn't take damage as long as it's a single number between 1-100. This is upgraded to up to 10 times to increase the amounts of absorb able digits

Living on the edge: temporarily increases an body part to triple efficiency, at the cost of one part that's increased to a 3rd of it's efficiency. 

Bending Fate: aoe that decreases accuracy to 5%.

Ultimate:
The Last Gamble
Makes one kind of damage unable to hurt the pawn, at the cost of one instantly incaping them, a small chance of death. This can be upgraded to decrease the chance of death
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Gungnier on March 15, 2018, 09:48:04 AM
I have a lot of general and spell/class ideas so i made a big list of it i hope you find them interesting

General idea:
-Bag of holding: goes into shield belt slot and increase carry capacity
-"rare" spell its like the spell scrolls which can be learned by every mage but its unique to the classes like the ultimate spells

Here my spell ideas:
Arcane Mage:
-Arcane Barrier: a sandbag like temporary fortification

This is alright

Ice Mage:
-Ice wall:a temporary wall of ice

Like this too

Druid:
Dryads blessing:AOE spell which makes crops instantly grow by 25%

Eh, might be a bit OP with devilstrand and make starving close to impossible.  I do think the Druid should have more to do with nature/gardening though, so it's a good start.

Fire mage:
Cauterize Wound:Instantly treats every bleeding but counts as a really bad treatment (high infection chance)

Eh, there's enough healing already.  I don't really want the stronger aoe classes having it too.  Usually the healers have penalties (Druid has no aoe, Priest can't be violent, etc)

Lightning Mage:
Machine overload: Doubles the work speed on the (electricity using) "machine" but increases its break chance.

Hmm, not sure how that'd work...  They basically do the same thing with their buff already by amping teammates.

Necromancer:
Preserve corpse: Makes a corpse into "frozen" state for a week.

Of course I love this idea.  Lost some good corpses in my corpse freezer to early heat waves and repeated solar flares.

Paladin:
Purify: Aoe spell which "cleans" the area

Hmm...kinda weird.  I think this would fit Druid or Summoner better if anybody was going to have something like this.

Priest:
Blessed Feast:Summon Blessed Lavish Meal for nutrition and mood buff

Again, I think this would maybe fit Druid better (Growing plants/food).  I do like the idea of Druids having something to help with gardening, if it isn't too OP.  Would be cute if they could summon some strawberries or maybe ambrosia rarely.  Cost of mana potions is kinda silly atm, ambrosia being the worse offender, so Druids helping with that would be nice.  Maybe they can sprout a random food occasionally would be interesting.  Sometimes you get rice, sometimes you get ambrosia, maybe haygrass, lol.

I think my favorite version of "Druids help with food/gardening" would be something like they summon a special tree or plant sprout that grows faster than normal stuff and/or creates more food than normal.  It would aid in obtaining food, but you'd still have to wait for it to complete to harvest it.  Maybe limit it to one plant/tree.  Maybe it has special properties like it can grow indoors.  Imagine having some massive Druid tree/plant in the middle of your base, dropping food on your colonist's heads every once in a while, haha.  Maybe they could grow something that improves mood, beauty or mana regeneration or something around your base.

Druid is the most underwhelming class in my opinion.  Again, mostly on EPOE for making their ultimate rather useless in a lot of scenarios (So far, I've managed to get to bionics twice now before I even find their ultimate).  I'd love some stuff to give them more identity than just an alternate healer.  Poison is cool in theory, but I rarely use it because it's overkill for most humans and aoes will wipe everybody out anyways. 

Their cure disease would be useful in jungle biomes, but outside that it's pretty rare you need it.  I use the Priest's ability to remove scars and prisoner addicitions almost daily, but I don't think I've ever needed the Druid's ability yet (Randy RNG for sure).  Infections shouldn't be an issue if you plant medicine right away.  I find myself rarely using beguile animal either, though it could be useful.  Maybe I've just had bad luck with it, never seem to be the right animals around to use it for raids and I'd rather just kill manhunter packs with other classes.  It's a cool class, just wish it had more...consistency I guess?  It's almost like everything they do only works in very special situations that don't happen very often.

For example, late game I gave my Druid transfer mana and they just became an mp bot for my Priest (Because they're always casting Purify and low on mana) and Fire Mage (To level)...lol.  I almost never used their abilities compared to the other classes.  They'd fall behind every other class if I didn't actively level them constantly.  Even Lightning/Fire/Arcane Mages have better buffs, Priests and Pallies have more direct healing and give the target less downtime.  Their ult is difficult and easily replaced by a common mod.  Although I agree it's not great to balance a mod around another mod people might not have, EPOE is hella common, if there was any mod to take into consideration, it'd probably be that.  Kinda weird that resurrecting somebody from the dead is easier than regrowing their missing pinky toe too, lol.

In short:  Druids aren't bad, they just don't look great in comparison to the other classes.  I feel like they just stand around and watch other mage classes be awesome 95% of the time.  Even Priest is exciting to use...but Druid is just kind of...there.

Canute

Druid's are compared to a Priest not that fast at healing, but they still can fight and got even some offensive spells.

henk

Beguile animals on a pack of muffalos or elephants becomes an easy win. Or for extra fun, use it on boomalopes!

But I agree, druid needs more of a personality. It might just be that every other class has overpowered spells that can one-shot a raid, and thus merely being good means they fall behind in usefulness.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: henk on March 15, 2018, 05:33:50 PM
Beguile animals on a pack of muffalos or elephants becomes an easy win. Or for extra fun, use it on boomalopes!

But I agree, druid needs more of a personality. It might just be that every other class has overpowered spells that can one-shot a raid, and thus merely being good means they fall behind in usefulness.

Yeah this is kind of it.  They aren't bad, actually they're probably one of the most balanced classes.  On their own they're fine, but put them in a mage squad and they won't be seeing much use.  Don't want people thinking I'm saying they're useless, I just want them to have more to do in a group setting.

Definitely think they should be attached more to growing, I see Druids as being really close to plants/nature, and right now they don't really do much for the plant side.  Lots of options for that.

henk

I vote for the "druid-only unique plant" option. Maybe a plant that harvests into random objects? Glitter medicine, ambrosia, magicite...

Torann

Some really great ideas here, Gungnier, thanks for taking the time to share.  I think "Cauterize Wound" is a great idea, though I might couple it with a high chance to cause burn scars instead of infection since you usually cauterize wounds to avoid infection.

I've had the concept to create a barrier on my list of new spells for some time, along with a (druid) ability to speed up growth of crops, so expect to see both of those at some point.  I'm also planning another skill for the druid to summon a thorn brier trap that slows and does light damage.

Quote from: Jackalvin on March 15, 2018, 11:30:35 AM
I have some ultimate ideas as well as classes (also, do fighters have ults or will they?)
No, fighters don't have any ultimates and I'm not planning any at this time.
Your suggestion of a "Lucky" class sounds a bit like the mimic class I'm planning and I think I could easily integrate some of the skills you suggest into this class.  Your "Last Gamble" sounds a lot like Feign Death =)

Quote from: WitchLyfe on March 15, 2018, 03:35:15 PM
In short:  Druids aren't bad, they just don't look great in comparison to the other classes.
I agree that druids are somewhat situational, but I think that' to be expected from a support/utility class, but I also think they're one of the better balanced classes.

Umbreon117

I've finally made a colony focused around this mod...As focused as you can can with 70 other mods at least.

Anyway, I haven't run into any problems that stem from this mod, but I do have one minor annoyance: I can't tell how many minions I have, and where they are easily. Is it possible to do something that either tells the summoner to keep a certain number of minions up at a given time automatically? Would just be a QOL thing, but would make things much easier.

Edit: I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (or if I am just blind), but how does everyone feel able pawns being unable to learn a spell, or unable to become a certain class?
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

Torann

Updated to v1.9.5

- Magic items
- New enchantments

[attachment deleted due to age]

Harry_Dicks