[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jernfalk

Quote from: Torann on March 17, 2018, 08:12:07 PM
Updated to v1.9.5

- Magic items
- New enchantments

Is it safe to overwrite the folder to add those to a current game? (The last version is installed on it)

Torann

Quote from: Jernfalk on March 17, 2018, 09:36:59 PM
Is it safe to overwrite the folder to add those to a current game? (The last version is installed on it)
Yes, I did it with my own game and didn't have any issues.

Canute

Beside the thing, you shouldn't overwrite a mod folder, delete the old one then copy the new one.
That prevent error's if any mod auther decide to change the file structure.

Nice looking appareal btw :-)

Harry_Dicks

Something very minor that I'm crossing my fingers might get changed in the future: a small black outline around apparel, to give it more of that "vector" art style and blend in better with other vanilla/modded apparel that has kept the same aesthetics? I'm a horrible 0/10 artist, so I might try at some point in the distant future if nothing happens by then. Or maybe I could pay someone to do it :P

BTW-I really, really love all of the apparel you've added Torann. Browsing over the texture files for them, this is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping you would add. Can't wait to see more future iterations with more equipment :)

Jernfalk

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 18, 2018, 09:53:28 AM
Something very minor that I'm crossing my fingers might get changed in the future: a small black outline around apparel, to give it more of that "vector" art style and blend in better with other vanilla/modded apparel that has kept the same aesthetics? I'm a horrible 0/10 artist, so I might try at some point in the distant future if nothing happens by then. Or maybe I could pay someone to do it :P

BTW-I really, really love all of the apparel you've added Torann. Browsing over the texture files for them, this is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping you would add. Can't wait to see more future iterations with more equipment :)

I must agree. Some of those are a bit odd to look at. I'd be willing to re-do them. I could even make a few samples to give you all a feel of my art. (I'm really not a professional, but I don't accept less than great in my work xD)

Torann

Quote from: Jernfalk on March 18, 2018, 12:53:48 PM
I must agree. Some of those are a bit odd to look at. I'd be willing to re-do them. I could even make a few samples to give you all a feel of my art. (I'm really not a professional, but I don't accept less than great in my work xD)
Go for it.  Those took about 2 weeks for me to do and it's the first time doing anything like that so I ended up doing a lot of redrawing.  I'm a bit worn out from drawing for a bit.  I'm happy to take contributions if you have some ideas and would like to make some improvements!

Also forgot to mention earlier, all the wands are the work of Draegon.  He's got some awesome art in his own mod "Biomes" https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38312.0

WitchLyfe

Poison Traps seem to have bugged out when upgrading to the latest patch.  My Hunter goes to place them, just stands on the spot and uses up their stamina but it won't place and there's no warning that it was erasing an old trap like it used to occasionally when not placing (If there are even some still up.)  I tried until my stamina ran out and no dice on it placing the trap.  Also uses the cd.

Now that I'm mentioning that, it's always been obnoxious if you're already at max traps and it uses the cd and your stamina just to remove an old trap without placing the new trap.  I didn't know if it was intentional but having to use the ability 4 times just to place 2 traps sucks and drains your Hunter's stamina to 0 for the start of a fight for some traps that probably won't be triggered (unless used in a choke), not fun.  It also doesn't seem to proc on manhunting animals.  I learned that the hard way while hunting some Thrumbos, lol.  It does seem to proc on allies though...

Oh, and Beguile Animal and Arrow Storm can be leveled up but have no tooltip info explaining what they do.  I assume Beguile Animal has a higher chance of procing or something?  I can almost never get it to work on manhunting animals.

Looking forward to trying out the new clothes.  I just recently started a new tribal run so researching all that is taking a bit.

Torann

Quote from: WitchLyfe on March 18, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
Poison Traps seem to have bugged out when upgrading to the latest patch.  My Hunter goes to place them, just stands on the spot and uses up their stamina but it won't place and there's no warning that it was erasing an old trap like it used to occasionally when not placing (If there are even some still up.)  I tried until my stamina ran out and no dice on it placing the trap.  Also uses the cd.

Now that I'm mentioning that, it's always been obnoxious if you're already at max traps and it uses the cd and your stamina just to remove an old trap without placing the new trap.  I didn't know if it was intentional but having to use the ability 4 times just to place 2 traps sucks and drains your Hunter's stamina to 0 for the start of a fight for some traps that probably won't be triggered (unless used in a choke), not fun.  It also doesn't seem to proc on manhunting animals.  I learned that the hard way while hunting some Thrumbos, lol.  It does seem to proc on allies though...

Oh, and Beguile Animal and Arrow Storm can be leveled up but have no tooltip info explaining what they do.  I assume Beguile Animal has a higher chance of procing or something?  I can almost never get it to work on manhunting animals.

Looking forward to trying out the new clothes.  I just recently started a new tribal run so researching all that is taking a bit.
Poison traps won't be triggered by animals of any faction, this is the trade off for not being able to be detected by humanoids.  You might want to check that you have the latest update, poison trap detection was changed (in the same patch as the equipment update) so they can't be triggered by non-hostile factions and old, destroyed traps get removed from the register prior to placing a new trap.  Placing a new trap should always place a trap regardless if it removes an old one.
I tested all the above on my existing game and didn't have any problems, so maybe try removing and readding the mod.

I think there are two different manhunter states and I don't think it will pacify a manhunter animal as a result from a failed tame.  I'll check into that, I think it ought to just do both anyways.

I added the descriptions - beguile animal increases aoe  size, max targets, range, and cooldown each upgrade; arrow storm increases number of arrows fired, how quick they're fired, and the range

WitchLyfe

That's how I always upgrade, by removing the whole mod and adding the new one.  TMagic B18 v1 9 5, most recent hugs and jecs.  Most of my complaints were with the old version I think, I had no idea the latest version modified how they worked since it wasn't mentioned.  I'll be happy to test them again if I can get them to work in my current save, lol.

Just tried a new colony and they work.  So it only broke my current save.  Poison Traps aren't worth starting this over, any way to salvage it in my current run/save?

I just got to Bionics in my tribal run before I could Druid Regrow again.  I haven't even found it yet again, 3rd time now starting with a Druid and making it to Bionics before I even find the spell.  I'm never going to be able to use it, lol.  Oh well, EPOE's to blame.  I think it might actually be cheaper to rush Bionics than try to unlock all the stuff and get the resources to use Regrow too, at least in my last few runs.  I'd actually rather use the Druid spell than turn my pawns all into OP cyborgs, but it's being a pain in the ass all around.  Still need neutroamine too.

Nearly died (Tribal + desert) trying to caravan to look for it early this run too, but no dice.  At least I have comms and can call for magic traders now.  Just in time to not need it anymore.  I still wanna try to use it though.  EPOE becomes way too powerful.  Maybe one day I'll find it and can afford to use it x.x  Hopefully before I get bored again.  My mages are already maxed out and raising their max mp now.

My RNG on finding the spell is shit, but I still don't understand the cost of it.  The other master spells are like automatic upgrades and initially useful, but it requires a lot of random resources you may not find regularly until late game.  I feel like the Druid should unlock a special plant or something that needs to grow to use it.  The random drugs are odd.  Randy Intense is rarely kind in my testing of this mod... 

I think the new gems and fighter scrolls are bogging down the mage trader's inventory.  I haven't been able to find hardly any spells I'm interested in since those were added.  Guess I just have to try to scribe everything.

Also noticed there are two Mana Potion recipes.  One comes with the Drug Lab and the other with Gem Crafting.  They use different resources, that intentional?

Edit:  Finally found Regrow Limb!  And Firestorm.  Regrow Limb stub reduces total speed by 80%, rather than just the one limb efficiency/speed, that seems like a mistake to me.  Dunno why one functioning limb and one stub would cripple them worse than a missing limb, lol.  I used it on my Hunter with maxed passives who's otherwise healthy and she's walking around like she's half dead (25% total movement).  I know it's called "Regrow Limb", but kinda disappointed it doesn't work on eyes.  That's where 80% of missing body parts are in B18 after all.  After all that, I have to use EPOE anyways, rip.

Fucking huskies ate my regrow seed and mana potions once too...lol.

Well, at least Fire Mage was fun.  Love their rng and they're pretty balanced, at least in damage vs reward since they burn bodies and gear to ashes, lol.  Maxed Fire Claw erases thrumbos when it hits.  It's kind of a "Fair enough" feeling for all that damage, lol.  Not much to salvage after a 50+ Fire Mage fights, even if you're quick on the fire extinguishing, the raw damage becomes pretty nuts.  I haven't even gotten into gems or clothes yet either. 

Think I prefer Lightning or Ice Mages though.  Lightning is probably the most useful thanks to all their lingering aoes.  Ice Mage seemed a bit UP in comparison to them, but I do need to test them more.

henk

I agree that the whole concept of a seed of regrowth seems clumsy - probably a compromise to allow the spell to work at all. It's too bad regrow limb relies so heavily on medicine. If you get a druid from a ??? scroll that can't do medicine, they basically can't use their ultimate. Maybe regrow limb shouldn't be a master spell, but a regular one?

Ice mage spells are cheap, and tend to incapacitate enemies rather than kill them. Use the rainmaker spell if you have too much fire!

WitchLyfe

Quote from: henk on March 21, 2018, 10:20:43 AM
I agree that the whole concept of a seed of regrowth seems clumsy - probably a compromise to allow the spell to work at all. It's too bad regrow limb relies so heavily on medicine. If you get a druid from a ??? scroll that can't do medicine, they basically can't use their ultimate. Maybe regrow limb shouldn't be a master spell, but a regular one?

Ice mage spells are cheap, and tend to incapacitate enemies rather than kill them. Use the rainmaker spell if you have too much fire!

That's the feeling I was getting with it too.  Regrow Limb just seems really underwhelming.  It feels more on par with a Priest's Purify rather than an ultimate atm.  So many penalties and hoops to jump through to be able to use it.  Compare it to Resurrect for example that can save your pawns or give you a free slave.  Man, I love Priests/Resurrect.  Priests just overall feel really great to use.  I don't get that too often with Druids I guess.  I tried to like them x.x  Someone said they'd feel more useful in tribal runs, but that didn't help.  Think the only time I'll start with them again is if I'm doing a rainforest run, but that's my least favorite biome.

Ice sounds fun, I've recruited them later in runs, but I haven't started with one yet, so they're always behind in levels.  If I'm feeling up to it, I might try them next.  It's really hard to capture pawns without crippling them with a Fire Mage.  I'm down for a bit less damage, lol.  I really shoulda brought one along into this desert run/colony for their soil transform spell.  That woulda made my life much easier.

I really don't like trying to catch low level mages up in levels late game, rather just start over to test them.  At this rate with the base cost of clothes/gems, I might never get to test them though...  I might have to up the rate of magicyte next run.  Default rate seems balanced more towards mountainous areas/bases that I don't play/use.  I usually only have a couple hundred by the time I've stripped my colony of visible resources.  Guess you could just buy them too.

Torann

Quote from: WitchLyfe on March 21, 2018, 10:43:34 AM
I really don't like trying to catch low level mages up in levels late game, rather just start over to test them.  At this rate with the base cost of clothes/gems, I might never get to test them though...
As always, nice feedback WitchLyfe.  I'll be looking into how to make regrow limb (and possibly add nose/ear/eyes) more balanced very soon.
As for leveling late game mages, I'll be adding some social features that will allow higher level mages to have conversations for both social interactions as well as training younger mages.  This should help late game mages level up much quicker (as long as they have a nearby mentor).

Canute

Quote from: henk on March 21, 2018, 10:20:43 AM
You should try a Gladiator.
Grapple a friend, with a good chance you legswipe him too that incapacitate it, and you can capture it.
Or one of your pawn/animal got berserk/manhunter/mental state, grapple him to cure him/it. :-)

And i agree to the Druids, Regrowth limb should be seperated from surgery.
Cast the master spell on a pawn, the pawn get a growing limb replacement, with 10% functionality, and each day it increase by 10%.
And it should work not only at limbs, other missing parts should work too (ribs,nose,eye,lungs,...).

henk

Perhaps the druid master spell, then, could be something that regrows any limb, is independent of medicine, and can be used on the druid themselves. The downside being that the affected pawn would have increased hunger and tiredness for the duration.

As for grapple, I'm thinking it should be a stun, rather than a down, seeing as downing is so powerful...

Coolphoton

druids really shine in tech restricted games. they can save your game if you get any major outbreaks or unlucky raids. in fact once i get two of them, i tend to stop using medicine at all. there slower than priest but they don't have the same massive draw back ether. over all id say there a solid middle ground between paladins and priests as healer, with more flexibility than ether.