[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchLyfe

Hmm, Glad sounds fun then.  Only classes I haven't tried at all are that and Sniper.  I've tried Arcane Mage, Priest, Druid, Necromancer, Fire Mage, Ranger, Summoner to 50+, some several times (Especially Necro, Summoner and Priest...I use them too often).  Tried Pally, Ice and Lightning to about 20-40.  Maybe my next run with be Pally, Ice and Glad start.  I might wait for a new patch first though before starting a new colony.  If Glad makes it easier to capture pawns, maybe I can get a Priest early enough to remove all the scars my meleers are going to get, lol.

I wanna use Lightning Mages more too, but they seem prone to causing brain damage, and that hurts recruiting options early on.  Probably need to start with a Priest if I'm going to use them again.  Just went through my Fire Mage being my main offense and crippling pretty much every raider that manages to survive.  Thought my Druid would be able to fix them up but it took too long to find and use Regrow.  Fire Mage ends a tribal raid of like 20+ enemies with 1-2 "surviving" with a third of their body parts missing, haha.  Need a break from crippling everybody.

Desert tribal was a really poor choice to test the new clothes/scribing too, took so long to get Devilstrand going.

Quote from: Torann on March 21, 2018, 11:06:17 AM
As always, nice feedback WitchLyfe.  I'll be looking into how to make regrow limb (and possibly add nose/ear/eyes) more balanced very soon.
As for leveling late game mages, I'll be adding some social features that will allow higher level mages to have conversations for both social interactions as well as training younger mages.  This should help late game mages level up much quicker (as long as they have a nearby mentor).

Awesome, and thanks for making a mod that's worth testing so much/giving feedback, lol.

wedekit

Just from a design standpoint, I noticed that most classes tie not only to combat but to some kind of utility in the day-to-day life of the colonists. However, it doesn't look like there is anything that helps out with farming/plant growth, which seems would easily fall into the realm of Druids (earth magic). Druids in general seem to have quite a bit of overlap with other types of magic/classes.

In general, when classes overlap in abilities (e.g., multiple classes can heal) they in turn lose their uniqueness unless they are intended to be a hybrid. I think you had some clear vision on how the different combat/magic classes fill unique shoes on the battlefield.

Here are some thoughts you may or may not find helpful just based on my fondness for elemental systems and magic in games. :

• Water (ice) is traditionally associated with healing and purity in most cultures. Water is also associated  with emotions and thus our connections to other people.
    Rimworld associations
    : Social (recruitment, relation scores), Medicine (tending speed and quality), Art (connection to emotions), Cleaning. Perhaps even a spell to counter or mitigate heatwaves.  I believe you already have a spell to make it rain (to counter wildfires).
  • Earth/Nature is inclined towards well... flora and (sometimes) fauna. However, Earth magic can also refer to the actual dirt/rock that serves as the foundation for us land-dwellers as the "nature" aspect of Earth usuall only happens when you pair it with water. Building/construction and craftsmanship are typical associations of earth, as we use its resources (rocks, metal, etc.) to mold into tools and structures. In this regard, trade also falls into the earth element.
    Rimworld associations
    : Construction, Crafting (Tailoring, Stonecutting), Mining, Social (Trade, specifically), Growing, and/or Handling. Since it's heavy on non-combat skills, maybe it is the least combat-oriented class? If anything, Earth is associated with defense more than offense. Perhaps even an ignore terrain spell in regards to movement speed or temporarily increase the fertility of patches of ground (even if its just in the form of a item that increases in radius like the Fertility Totem in Rim of Madness: Cults). Terraforming (added in from other mods) would be another natural association.
  • Fire, of course, is often the high DPS specialization due to the destructive nature of fire, thus it's associated with strength and power. However, it also be associated with "burning away" impurities and the general necessity of heat to sustain life. Interestingly, it also associated with the spirit/soul and that "spark" of life (big bang, for example) found in all things. Fire's association with transformation ranges from symbolic, such as the Phoenix and its renewal, all the way to the more pragmatic use of fire in transforming ore into metals/alloys fit for forging. This association with transformation extends to modern chemistry as well, where a general rule of thumb is that burning things changes them on a chemical level.
    Rimworld associations
    : Crafting (Smithing, smelting), Handling (maybe), Melee, Carry Weight (strength), and Cooking (including Food Poisoning chance). Perhaps even a spell to counter/mitigate cold snaps.
  • Air is tricky, as some associate it with lightning (as you have) while others the wind. Some use both. Lightning is often associated with reflexes, naturally. I think the spell to fill a battery is really cool and can save my colony's ass during an perfect storm of "Zzzzt" events and solar flares. xD Wind is commonly more focused on communication... "Words are wind!", to quote A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. It gets more complicated with the "wind" part because of its relation to communication extends to written word, which further extends into the realm of knowledge and thinking... which further extends into logical thought and precision... It's a little fitting because wind isn't a stationary thing in the world.
    Rimworld associations
    : Research/Intellectual (including drug crafting speed), movement speed, shooting (accuracy, specifically), dodging, carry weight (light as a feather!) and Medicine (surgery). Perhaps even a counter/mitigation to toxic fallout (as it is spread via air).
Hopefully you get some inspiration from these (if you were even searching for any). It would be cool to see some more options regarding colony utility for the different classes, as they clearly have drawbacks in regards to combat utility (e.g., starting a wildfire with a Fire Mage). Perhaps you can even make a forced choice where they have to pick between a combat spell or a utility spell. It would make those magically inclined people that aren't soldiers/combatants still make use of specific class. Your (1) researcher/surgeon/hauler/hunter can specialize in air; (2) doctor/artist/cleaner/recruiter on Water; (3) trader/crafter/construction/miner on Earth; (4) Smelter/Smith/Cook/Brawler on Fire.
If I wasn't clear, this is probably the most exciting mods I've come across in a while. Utility/QoL mods are great, but this one shows a great deal of creativity that I admire and think this game can use more of. It'd be nice to see some screenshots and proper advertisement for the mod would help in getting more feedback as the OP doesn't really convey how much work has gone into it. I'm sure plenty of this mods artistically-inclined fans of this mod would be happy to help out in that regard if you ask!

If you wanted someone to bounce ideas off of for mechanics type things I'm your guy. I can be a useful mind to run things past when it comes to balance and making sure every class stays unique and tempting.

henk

Would it be possible to make gaining a class that disables a work type also remove that work type from the work priority list? Right now, if they can't do a job, but the job was allowed before they gained the class, the work type will stay enabled and can't be removed, and they'll do it with no skill. Similarly, they should probably lose passion in a skill if the skill becomes unusable. Maybe they could also gain passion in skills relevant to their class? Like shooting or melee for physical classes, medicine for priests or plant work for druids.

Torann

Quote from: wedekit on March 22, 2018, 04:52:27 AM
    Just from a design standpoint, I noticed that most classes tie not only to combat but to some kind of utility in the day-to-day life of the colonists.
    I hope that's the case in combat since that's how I've attempted to design every class - to fill a specific role.  Those that don't have strong combat abilities usually have significant utility abilities; that being said, though I don't think there's much (enough) that distinguishes the "combat" classes outside of combat, and there should be.  When I do the balance update, this will be one of the things I'll be looking for, along with some mundane task trade-off's for being a mage/fighter.

Quote from: wedekit
    [/list]Hopefully you get some inspiration from these (if you were even searching for any). It would be cool to see some more options regarding colony utility for the different classes, as they clearly have drawbacks in regards to combat utility (e.g., starting a wildfire with a Fire Mage). Perhaps you can even make a forced choice where they have to pick between a combat spell or a utility spell. It would make those magically inclined people that aren't soldiers/combatants still make use of specific class. Your (1) researcher/surgeon/hauler/hunter can specialize in air; (2) doctor/artist/cleaner/recruiter on Water; (3) trader/crafter/construction/miner on Earth; (4) Smelter/Smith/Cook/Brawler on Fire.
    If I wasn't clear, this is probably the most exciting mods I've come across in a while. Utility/QoL mods are great, but this one shows a great deal of creativity that I admire and think this game can use more of. It'd be nice to see some screenshots and proper advertisement for the mod would help in getting more feedback as the OP doesn't really convey how much work has gone into it. I'm sure plenty of this mods artistically-inclined fans of this mod would be happy to help out in that regard if you ask!

If you wanted someone to bounce ideas off of for mechanics type things I'm your guy. I can be a useful mind to run things past when it comes to balance and making sure every class stays unique and tempting.
    Always appreciate feedback, suggestions, and idea's.  I tend to agree with your assessment of the elements and their general classifications - afterall, you wouldn't really expect a fire mage to be very good at growing crops.  So something like this is certainly helpful blueprint when I'm drawing up those small distinctions in the future!

Torann

Update v1.9.6

• The Paladin, Necromancer, and Summoner master spells have been added:

Paladin - Holy Wrath: calls or a hammers of light to smash upon the land

Necromancer - Lich Form: the necromancer steps further along the path of the dark mage by becoming an undead; by doing so, they lose interest in almost all mundane tasks but gain the Death Bolt and Flight powers
      The necromancer "Death Mark" power has been reworked. It now functions as a curse that will slow the attack speed of any enemy affected. The fear that Death Mark induces also becomes a source of power that the lich will use to empower Death Bolt
      Undead workspeeds have been reduced but will gain the benefits of the "Hastened Undead" skill towards global work speed

Summoner - Summon Poppi: a curious creature that fights more ferociously than any other creature on the rim, a true demon in disguise

• New stand-alone spell "Sun Light" - creates a node of light powerful enough to grow plants but places a continuous demand on the mage sustaining the light.

• Ranger pets now require a cost to maintain; rangers will be more sensitive to the loss of their bonded companions.

• Several new magical weapons have been added.  The Thrumbo Axe, which is powerful enough to perform cleaving blows, and the Staff of the Defender that enables any mage to form temporary arcane barriers

• Special thanks to contributor Angry Wizard for improving many of the UI icons and Diannetea for the Poppi graphics!

This update includes a bunch of bug fixes also, some that have been around for awhile, so thanks to Mehni for the rigorous bug testing and feedback.

Diannetea has a mod with quite a few retextures and you can check it out here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39284.0

Quote from: henk on March 23, 2018, 09:49:42 PM
    Would it be possible to make gaining a class that disables a work type also remove that work type from the work priority list? Right now, if they can't do a job, but the job was allowed before they gained the class, the work type will stay enabled and can't be removed, and they'll do it with no skill. Similarly, they should probably lose passion in a skill if the skill becomes unusable. Maybe they could also gain passion in skills relevant to their class? Like shooting or melee for physical classes, medicine for priests or plant work for druids.
    I included this - applies to undead (though I think it did before)
    Necromancer when upgrading to lich form will get a passion boost to intellectual and a boost to shooting from none to minor (all other skill passion = 0 and all work types disabled when lich form is assumed)
    Priest - shooting and melee passions = 0 and hunter work type disabled, gains a passion boost in medicine to minor if it was none

coldcell

Hi,

This mod sounds awesome. Gaining certain classes disable some work types? That makes sense... Priest vs guns/melee, etc. But can I disable this option or is it a must?

Edit: Is there a list of what class disables what work? I can't find it in the 1st page. Also do the raiders have the ability to use magic too?

WitchLyfe

Trying out Necro and Pally in a new game, looking good so far.  The undead are balanced better and it seems when they're rerez'd, their stats don't randomize each time like they used to.  Looking forward to testing the new/modified spells.  I never used the old Death Mark, but this new one seems a lot more balanced and has counterplay rather than just hoping something dies/doesn't die.

Ah, found a bug with undead.  Had one die in combat to a Thrumbo, his head was eaten by a raccoon and I had to wait a while to revive him because of a mana drain.  When he came back up he had levels in all attributes like when he was alive even though his profile says he's incapable of them.  When I dismissed him and revived him earlier that didn't happen I don't think.

Oh yeah, and his avatar image at the top is still missing his head, lol.  Interestingly, tabbing out of the game and tabbing back in fixed this.  Thought it was worthy of a screencap though: https://i.imgur.com/wlEjeS8.png

Well...An Arcane Supplier just appeared with Necro and Pally master spells early game.  I only have 200 silver and nothing to sell.  Here I go killing again...  Will have fun with that when I play later.  At least I have a nice big base set up to trap them in.

Canute

Too bad you allready made a Necro Master spell.
    Because i just got an idea.
    (Brain)Parasit,
    cast on pawn to get control over these pawn.
    The pawn got limited abilities like the reanimated corpses.
    The Parasit slowly eat the brain, and when the pawn dies the parasit seeks for a new host in a range of 3 or 5 tile's. If he don't find one he dies.
    The Parasit prefer hostile over neutral over friendly, so be careful where the parasit host dies.
    A host can be cured with the Priest prurify spell and/or with a craftable potion from some necro-knowledge.

Torann

Quote from: WitchLyfe on March 25, 2018, 08:09:21 AM
    Trying out Necro and Pally in a new game, looking good so far.  The undead are balanced better and it seems when they're rerez'd, their stats don't randomize each time like they used to.  Looking forward to testing the new/modified spells.  I never used the old Death Mark, but this new one seems a lot more balanced and has counterplay rather than just hoping something dies/doesn't die.

Ah, found a bug with undead.  Had one die in combat to a Thrumbo, his head was eaten by a raccoon and I had to wait a while to revive him because of a mana drain.  When he came back up he had levels in all attributes like when he was alive even though his profile says he's incapable of them.  When I dismissed him and revived him that didn't happen.
    I fixed this, raising an undead should correctly reset skills again.

Prince Kasta

X fully healed
    X fully healed
    X fully healed

Whenever lighting wound ticks the game wrongly tell you that pawn healed.

Zxypher

Sprint broke one of my colonists lol.

Exception ticking Toni: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at TorannMagic.Verb_Sprint.TryCastShot () <0x0032f>
    at Verse.Verb.TryCastNextBurstShot () <0x00040>
    at Verse.Verb.VerbTick () <0x0005c>
    at AbilityUser.PawnAbility.Tick () <0x00099>
    at AbilityUser.CompAbilityUser.CompTick () <0x00148>
    at TorannMagic.CompAbilityUserMight.CompTick () <0x000c0>
    at Verse.ThingWithComps.Tick () <0x00048>
    at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Pawn.Tick_Patch1 (object) <0x00069>
    at Verse.TickList.Tick () <0x002c6>

Verse.Log:Error(String)
    Verse.TickList:Tick()
    Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
    Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
    Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
    Verse.Root_Play:Update()

WitchLyfe

Was not expecting that master Necro spell, not sure how I feel about it.  It's the kinda thing you really need to plan for.  My Necro is my main crafter (Crafting + research passion, was going to be my magic item crafter), so I don't think I can use it.  Kinda sad I got it so early but it wouldn't be good to use it yet.  Maybe if I find a magic crafter replacement...

The bonuses are probably overall worth it, but it's so specialized it's pretty awkward.  Shouldn't a lich be able to craft magic items?  Already hard enough to find a decent pawn with crafting + research passion for magic stuff.  Pretty funny to imagine a powerful lich just wandering around all day and night with nothing to do when you run out of things to research, rip.  Early game you want as many available workers as possible, and late game they'll have nothing to do most the time (Unless you throw them at enemy colonies constantly), hmm.

I can't see myself really using it unless I plan a whole colony around it.  Almost useless outside of combat, and it's not like I'm really hurting for combat power already.  Would suck to toss away all the skills you've built up until you find it too.  I used it for about a minute to test the spells and see the buffs/penalties and reverted the save, lol.  Lich spells are cool anyways.

Torann

Quote from: Prince Kasta on March 25, 2018, 02:49:48 PM
    X fully healed
    X fully healed
    X fully healed

Which ability is this?  Heal, Advanced Heal, Inner healing, and Regenerate are the only healing spells.  Do you get a log message or a standard message that's telling you the pawn is healed?

Canute

That isn't a healing spell.
    The pawn got some temporary effect which reduce his max. HP.
    The effect recline with the time, the max. HP raise, since that is just a tiny step he heal up and cause these message.
    Prince Kasta, should say what effect these pawn got, if Torann don't know about it.

Prince Kasta

Quote from: Torann on March 25, 2018, 04:46:03 PM
    Quote from: Prince Kasta on March 25, 2018, 02:49:48 PM
    X fully healed
    X fully healed
    X fully healed

Which ability is this?  Heal, Advanced Heal, Inner healing, and Regenerate are the only healing spells.  Do you get a log message or a standard message that's telling you the pawn is healed?

As I said, a lightning wound.
    You will probably get it from the lightning storm spell or lightning bolt.
    Whenever the wound heal by anything (be it 0.4 hp or 8 hp from a spell) it will say the pawn is fully healed.

I get the standard message but I checked now and I do get a lot of warnings on load.
    Config error in TM_LightningCloud: has HediffComp_TendDuration but tendable = false
    Config error in TM_Lightning: has HediffComp_TendDuration but tendable = false

It actually does that for a lot of spells, is this something on my end?

Config error in TM_Holy: has HediffComp_TendDuration but tendable = false
    Config error in TM_Poison_HD: has HediffComp_TendDuration but tendable = false
    Config error in TM_Firebolt: has HediffComp_TendDuration but tendable = false

and more.