[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchLyfe

Removing bonuses I get, but some of the personality stuff I'm unsure of.  Normally you could say that a Druid/Priest was attracted to that type of magic to help people and/or are naturally in tune with nature or whatever, so their bonuses/penalties make sense.  A Necro is somebody who probably focused on learning to control undead because they're probably pretty anti/asocial or something.  But what happens when somebody learns to use magic from a scroll?  It suddenly forces personality changes on them?  That's kinda weird...  Learn Fire Magic and you suddenly become irritable?  Hmm.  Sure, raising Undead is going to cause issues with others regardless of the mage's intentions, but most magic is useful for any personality type.  So some of the bonuses/penalties don't make sense to just tack onto any pawn that learns that magic type in my opinion.

I wonder if there's a way to make it so that there are two types of mages.  One that had a natural affinity (And the personality bonuses/penalties) for that magic type (They were born with it), and one that just learned magic on their own (And is lacking the personality bonuses/penalties).  That'd kinda solve that issue anyways.

The first system really kinda forces a narrative anyways.  I guess I'm not too fond of that...  The stuff up until now has made enough sense that it didn't bother me, but it sounds like everything is going to become more specialized...  I like the idea that there could be a Necromancer that tries to get along with people, even though their undead scare people and such.  A calm Fire Mage, maybe even a Druid/Priest that enjoys combat.  Maybe they have a screw loose or something and like hurting people so they can heal them :p  That or they only care about protecting themselves/their allies.  Forcing personalty types on Mages is odd to me and really playstyle restrictive.  I mean, if you want your Fire Mage to be abrasive, you could just give them the abrasive trait.

Could also be later in a mage's career that they "specialize" further into their magic type and gain those penalties/bonuses if they choose to.  Kinda like how Lich is avoidable if you don't want the penalties.  Maybe all classes gain a "Specialize" spell or unlock it at a certain level?  Before then they don't have any of those "Life changing" personality changes or bonuses/penalties?

Short version is that I hope any major penalties/bonuses are avoidable like Lich in the future.  If stuff is forced, I can already tell I'm not going to want to play a lot of the classes anymore.  I mean, fair enough if that's the way this mod is headed, I've just lost a bit of interest in Necros with the Lich update and am not looking forward to anything else like that...  Necro was one of my favorite classes even without ult, so anything other than "Something I'll probably never use" for an ultimate would have been nice x.X  In fairness, if I knew exactly what was going to be restricted for Lich, I could have planned better for it and it wouldn't have been completely no-go in my current run.  I didn't think crafting magic items would be considered "mundane".  I thought it'd mostly be like cooking, cleaning, hauling and such.

Again, I'd rather the balancing be mostly in the damage/aoe range/mana costs and such over personality/job type stuff.  Ah, well anyways, I've probably been playing/testing this too much and will probably be taking a break for a while.  Maybe I'll check in in a few weeks or something or when Enchanter is released.

Coolphoton

Learning fire magic making someone irritable makes perfect since. Its the element of change, anger, and passion. The magic elements- fire, water, aether, earth, wood, and metal have always been associated with emotions and personality.

Bgkillas

I had 11 poppies join my colonie so I tried to feed them and save them but they just wouldn't eat so I sold them but can you fix them cause they ran back like the flight ability for lich but not as far.

Canute

QuoteBut what happens when somebody learns to use magic from a scroll?  It suddenly forces personality changes on them?  That's kinda weird...
What do you think when your best friend would learn Raise undead.
At first he got some undead cat/dog with them which don't smell that good.
And next month he bring his undead girlfriend to your barbeque party. :-)

Sure a friend which learned fireball would be the entertainment hit on any party, free fireworks. But a nightmare for the insurence-agentcy.

WitchLyfe

I already mentioned that Necro is one of the only classes where those penalties pretty much always make sense.  Being comfy around/playing corpses already says something about your personality.  Even if they aren't completely antisocial/asocial or whatever, it would still cause issues. 

They haven't "Always been associated with emotions and personalities", there are many different versions of magic in fantasy, lol.  Just casually forgetting about all the other available options because it doesn't suit your tastes?  Okay.  If you woulda just said "This is what I want because it's what I like", that's fine, lol.  Startin to sound like some Wicca shit or something :p  In plenty of stories, magic is just a tool or weapon like any other.

Anyways, as usual, I'm asking for options so everybody can be happy, rather than one way only if possible.  Doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to make separate versions of the classes without the major personality changes and penalties/bonuses, but maybe it is.  If the dev just isn't interested in that, maybe I can alter it myself if it's just in traits.

Umbreon117

Quote from: WitchLyfe on April 04, 2018, 11:16:03 AM
I already mentioned that Necro is one of the only classes where those penalties pretty much always make sense.  Being comfy around/playing corpses already says something about your personality.  Even if they aren't completely antisocial/asocial or whatever, it would still cause issues. 

They haven't "Always been associated with emotions and personalities", there are many different versions of magic in fantasy, lol.  Just casually forgetting about all the other available options because it doesn't suit your tastes?  Okay.  If you woulda just said "This is what I want because it's what I like", that's fine, lol.  Startin to sound like some Wicca shit or something :p  In plenty of stories, magic is just a tool or weapon like any other.

Anyways, as usual, I'm asking for options so everybody can be happy, rather than one way only if possible.  Doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to make separate versions of the classes without the major personality changes and penalties/bonuses, but maybe it is.
Why not have the personality change be gradual?

Like an infection, have a person slowly become more abrasive if they are a Fire mage. Cold (?) if they are an Ice mage. Anti-social if Necro. Etc.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Umbreon117 on April 04, 2018, 11:34:21 AM
Quote from: WitchLyfe on April 04, 2018, 11:16:03 AM

Anyways, as usual, I'm asking for options so everybody can be happy, rather than one way only if possible.  Doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to make separate versions of the classes without the major personality changes and penalties/bonuses, but maybe it is.
Why not have the personality change be gradual?

Like an infection, have a person slowly become more abrasive if they are a Fire mage. Cold (?) if they are an Ice mage. Anti-social if Necro. Etc.

Yeah that makes more sense.  That was kinda what I was getting at with the "specialize" unlock later in a mage's career.  I do prefer that it's optional, but gradual changes would at least be more realistic than just straight drastic personality changes.  Somebody slowly becoming corrupted by power is about as realistic as things could get after all :p

Jernfalk

Then again, it's a massive workload for the modder, especially because modding personalities in this is a huge pain. And while it would be a cool feature to have, I don't think the effort-to-result ratio would be big enough to make it worthwhile. At best, the changes would provide a little "Oh look, they began a fight because now they think differently", at worse, it would make a reliable pawn break-up with his wife and send the colony into a tantrum-spiral.

I think another, more reasonable way to approach this would be to add mood buffs and debuffs instead. Like a Fire Mage getting a +something for seeing an object gets destroyed by fire or an Ice Mage get a -something because of a heat wave.

henk

Another way to look at it is that magic affects YOU in ways you cannot prevent. Being a fire mage makes you hot-headed, not because you like fire, but because fire likes you.

Necromancers are just creepy though.

Canute

Maybe some more mental state events.
- magic user loose control over his magic and something happen.
Fire mage create like a pyromanic some random fire around him, how many and range depend on his skill.
Ice mage, create these cooling spot/portal that lower the temp.
Lighting mage, lighting aura that damage electrified devices.
Necro, raise undead rats.
Priest, shinning aura, let other pawns watch it.
Druid, grown plants around even at floored tiles.

Not to speak that if they are high on any drug their concentration are lowered and the chance for these event's raise.
Noone want a drunken firemage at home. :-)

The event lower the opinion of the colony to these pawn for a while.

Jernfalk

Quote from: Canute on April 04, 2018, 01:14:13 PM
Maybe some more mental state events.
- magic user loose control over his magic and something happen.
Fire mage create like a pyromanic some random fire around him, how many and range depend on his skill.
Ice mage, create these cooling spot/portal that lower the temp.
Lighting mage, lighting aura that damage electrified devices.
Necro, raise undead rats.
Priest, shinning aura, let other pawns watch it.
Druid, grown plants around even at floored tiles.

Not to speak that if they are high on any drug their concentration are lowered and the chance for these event's raise.
Noone want a drunken firemage at home. :-)

The event lower the opinion of the colony to these pawn for a while.

That sounds pretty great.

Prince Kasta

There is an error appearing when launching the game with psychology and Tmagic, the error seems to refer to PrisonLabor even though I never installed it, I guess the mod's Harmony patches for that mod conflict.

The error doesn't occur with A Rimworld of Magic 1.9.6.8.

[tt][HugsLib][ERR] Failed to apply Harmony patches for HugsLib.Psychology. Exception was: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PrisonLabor.JobDriver_Mine_Tweak' from assembly 'PrisonLabor, Version=0.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo:get_method_info (intptr,System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo.GetMethodInfo (IntPtr handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo.GetReturnType (IntPtr handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.get_ReturnType () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.ToString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MemberInfoSerializationHolder.GetRealObject (StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectRecord.LoadData (System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager manager, ISurrogateSelector selector, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (BinaryElement elem, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.PatchInfoSerialization.Deserialize (System.Byte[] bytes) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.HarmonySharedState.GetPatchInfo (System.Reflection.MethodBase method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.PatchProcessor.Patch () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.HarmonyInstance.<PatchAll>b__6_0 (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.CollectionExtensions.Do[Type] (IEnumerable`1 sequence, System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Harmony.HarmonyInstance.PatchAll (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HugsLib.ModBase.ApplyHarmonyPatches () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
HugsLib.Utils.ModLogger:Error(String, Object[])
HugsLib.ModBase:ApplyHarmonyPatches()
HugsLib.HugsLibController:EnumerateChildMods()
HugsLib.HugsLibController:LoadReloadInitialize()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()[/tt]

Also, if I'm already talking about psychology compatibility, three warnings appear:
Config error in Lich: TraitDef Lich has 0 commonality.
Config error in Undead: TraitDef Undead has 0 commonality.
Config error in TM_Undead: Humanlike needs backstoryCategory. - Can you give an undead, "undead" backstory?

All those warnings and error appear even if only hugslib, jectools and the two mods are active.

Torann

What happens if you change the order of psychology and tmagic?  Just flip-flop the two.  The two traits have 0 commonality because they should never be given to a random pawn during pawn generation.  I understand why the error would be there, but in this case it's completely intentional and won't cause any problems.

As for the backstory, anybody have an idea what the backstory for an undead would say?

Canute

Why not just any random ones like for any world pawn.
Depend on the fantasy lore, they are just raised ones with the full knowledge of their life, or barley any knowledge like dump zombies, or just corpses which are obsessed by some demon/spirit.

Prince Kasta

Quote from: Torann on April 06, 2018, 11:06:20 AM
What happens if you change the order of psychology and tmagic?  Just flip-flop the two.  The two traits have 0 commonality because they should never be given to a random pawn during pawn generation.  I understand why the error would be there, but in this case it's completely intentional and won't cause any problems.

As for the backstory, anybody have an idea what the backstory for an undead would say?

The order doesn't change anything.

For the backstory you could just make it like:
A creature created from a human body by the practice of the dark arts, whoever the creature was before is no more.