[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klun

Quote from: mmance on April 10, 2018, 03:15:58 PM
I didn't like the graphics for the elemental or the minion, so I made my own.  I enjoy the work on this mod, so I thought it only fair to share it with everyone.

GET IT HERE w/ Instructions... -> http://www.mmance.com/content/some-new-graphics-rimworld-magic-b18

I used your minion graphics and I love them specially their naked butt lol

The elemental was nice but it didnt look as badass as the original so I switched back.

Thanks for sharing

Torann

Quote from: Canute on April 20, 2018, 10:11:34 AM
Some things about the rift events:
- the rift should open just to one kind if elemental plane. And then just these kind elementals should come out.

- Then the rift should emitte the element around. The elementals should be immun to their element so they didn't get bother with it.
Fire: It should emite wave of heats, but temperature is outside pointless, i would say it should periodic ignite anything on fire. With increasing range.
Water/ice: like the poison ship, it would ice the ground around and destroy the plants at this way.
Wind/Lighting: Lighting cloud or storm
Earth: chunks and slag apear around it.

- Currently the corpses of elemental's are pretty useless, just the rift got goodies.
So i think when you butcher an elemental, you got some unrefined magictye.
Nice idea's, Canute.
I get the impression the elemental rift event isn't very popular, so maybe this will spice it up some.
I definitely like the idea of elementals providing better material and will look at adding that in the next update.

alexroeber

Hiya, really love your mod even though it's not working completely for me, I always want more fantasy mods.
Which brought me to register here to tell you to please fix your mistakes: I did not look at every Hediff, but I really missed <isBad>false</isBad> at every positive Hediff I saw. I have a mod which makes a pawn invincible for some time by simply killing every bad Hediff, meaning he can't be buffed by magic in that time, because Hediffs are "bad" by default.

Cheers

Canute

Just discover some kind of glitch.
When you queue some magic spells, the cooldown timer get ignored.
I just discover this while using consume corpse.
Pause the game, then cast the spell on a corpse, hold shift to queue up and repeat casting at some other corpses.
All corpses get consumed one by one so fast the necro can cast, no cooldown time.
I know this is more a global problem and more a case for jecstool, but i think you got better connection to jecrell on discord, then to mention this on the forum.

Edit:
Feedback on the mending spell/ability.
The repair amount of the spell is pretty low for the hugh amount of mana it need.
Even for a necro who can consume corpse to gain extra mana it is nearly impossible to keep his equip at 100%.
Similar to the combat gear repair, but on regular duty my gladiator can run the ability without running out of stamina.
Since they are standalone spell you can't improve it, and they need some improvments.
Either reduce the mana cost from 50% to 10%, or increate the repair amount by 3-5 times .
The gear repair need less improvements, maybe just double the repair amount.

Btw. enchanting, you need to equip (not pick up) the gem, but how do you drop it if you decide not to enchant ? Even when i equip a weapon the gem don't get droped and still got the ability to enchant.
And you should explain the enchant process at the original posting. Took me awhile to discover it out.

And what do you think about to add Jade to the Arcane item's trader ? Unrefined magicite is allready at the list, but jade is needed more.

Torann

Quote from: Canute on April 22, 2018, 01:21:32 PM
Btw. enchanting, you need to equip (not pick up) the gem, but how do you drop it if you decide not to enchant ? Even when i equip a weapon the gem don't get droped and still got the ability to enchant.
And you should explain the enchant process at the original posting. Took me awhile to discover it out.
There's a two-part tutorial in the game's tutor system that explains enchanting in detail.
The enchanting slot isn't shared with any other item or equipment slot... if you pick up another enchanting gem, it replaces the one you're holding since you can only hold 1 gem at a time.
You can drop an enchanting gem by right-clicking on any open surface and dropping the gem.  The menu doesn't come up (for obvious reasons) if you're drafted.

Canute

Doh, i allways forget about the ingame tutorial system.

And Necro's beware,
Don't send your zombie's down into a DeepRim mining layer.
Even when your zombie's don't need food and would be the perfect miner, they lost conncetion to the necro and got unanimated.

Jernfalk

Quote from: Canute on April 24, 2018, 01:21:37 AM
Doh, i allways forget about the ingame tutorial system.

And Necro's beware,
Don't send your zombie's down into a DeepRim mining layer.
Even when your zombie's don't need food and would be the perfect miner, they lost conncetion to the necro and got unanimated.

Adding up on this, If you travel, take all zombies with you or they re-die when the necro leaves.

SirDarin

I don't know if any of these have been previously suggested, so if they have, I apologize.
Additionally, I'm a big D&D fan, so many of these use similar terms, again I apologize if that is problematic.

Class suggestions:

Telepath: A mage specializing in mind magic. Support class.
-Read Minds [spell]: Target: self - For a period of time, increase the rate of positive social interactions with other pawns; increase the chances of successfully recruiting prisoners; and improve sale (buying/selling) prices.
-Soothe [spell]: Target: others - A chance to immediately end mental breaks in pawns or manhunter state in animals.
-Enrage [spell]: Target: others - A chance to immediately start a berserk mental break in pawns or manhunter state in animals.
-Incapacitate [master spell]: Target: others - Immediately down pawns in a small area (4 squares wide). Great for taking prisoners.

=Unique mental break for Telepath
-Incite Violence: The pawn goes around starting social fights between other pawns.
-Incite Love: The pawn goes around prompting other pawns to more frequently engage in romance request, accept romance requests, and engage in "lovin'" when in bed.

Geomancer: A mage specializing in earth magic. Support class.
-Rock Skin [spell]: Target: self - For a period of time, decrease the amount of damage received; reduce the likelihood to suffer critical hits; and increase the amount of physical damage the pawn deals to others.
-Summon Stone [spell]: Target: area of ground - Draw forth a random type of stone or metal from deep in the earth to fill that area.
-Sink Hole [spell]: Target: area of ground - Randomly change the terrain to either Marshy Soil, Mud, or Marsh. (chosen because they have high path costs. It is meant to slow down pawns)
-Immobilize [master spell]: Target: others - For a period of time, prevent the pawn from moving; and decrease their melee and range accuracy.

Binder: A mage specializing in summoning and binding demons and spirits to do their bidding. Support class.
-Dual Mind [spell]: Target: self - For a period of time, decrease psychic sensitivity; and decrease mental break chances.
-Compelled Labor [spell]: Target: other - Enables commanding the pawn to engage in a specific work task, they will work on that task to the exclusion of all others for a short period of time; they have high success rate and high work speed.
-Demonic Perversion [spell]: Target: other - For a period of time, they have a continuous improvement in mood/joy, but makes them nudists for the duration of the spell.
-Demonic Host [master spell]: Target: other - Immediately cause a berserk mental state in a pawn; the pawn explodes upon death.

Bronthion

Hello guys. I have a problem. Animal bond from ranger doesn't work properly in my game. I can get an animal and he is immediately trained but buff for ranger and pet doesnt apply. Sure, its lvl 0 now but description says that even on lvl 0 I should receive something, 20% movemenent, manipulation etc. Anybody encountered somehing like this? Or maybe just description is outdated and buffs apply from lvl 1?

Another question is about ice mage frost ray. On my game it have only 1 possible upgrade with reduced mana cost while every other have 3 each. Is that normal? I'm asking because if it really have one upgrade this spell will be very, very weak... 18 damage for a lot amount of mana? Bolt action rile have 18 damage and a great bow. Ice shard have great potential too with upgrades. This spell seems to be suspiciously weak :D It says for example it will freeze the target but nothing happened, I expected some kind of movement speed debuff, hypothermia or something like that.

henk

Any animal buff would appear in the Health tab. If you don't see one, you can still check if your pet's movement speed is increased in the 'information' screen.
Frost ray can be upgraded by clicking the spell icon. Yes, it's confusing.

Bronthion

Ouh, thanks man! I thought that animal bond strengthens not only animal but ranger too so I was checking health tab of my ranger, not animal :) thats why I thought that was bugged. So everything works fine :)

And thanks for the tip with the spell icon. I missed that completely :)

Anyway, whats your opinion about rainmaker spell? Isnt it quite useless? How many times in game that would be useful? Only situation I can imagine is when a lot of stuff goes wrong in a base, massive fire spreads, because of for example pod raid but this is a late game. Maybe if pawns could be affected by "wet" status for example and that status would amplify frost and lightning damage that would be useful :)

SirDarin

I imagine it is most useful in games where the Firewatcher is disabled (and then even more so in regions with lost of fauna) because fires would be able to become massive and unstoppable infernos that could threaten your colony's survival.

henk

I use rainmaker quite often. It's great not having to step away from your defences to extinguish fires the raiders started, or when some boomalope died at the other end of the map.

I fully support integrating rainy weather with ice and lightning spells, though.

Bronthion

I forgot about boomalopes. Yes, that could be useful or even to cast it when you want to hunt a bunch of them.

I have another question, about frost damage now. As we all know, in vanilla there was no frost protection values, only blunt, sharp, electric and heat. So is there any defence against it now? Or maybe when I cast frost ray for example or snowball it will go straight through everything?

Umbreon117

Dropped the mod to take a break, then forgot it. Will eventually pick this back up with my planned Combat Extended playthrough, but no guarantee that I will remember it.
Quote from: Torann on April 20, 2018, 06:40:08 PM
Quote from: Canute on April 20, 2018, 10:11:34 AM
Some things about the rift events:
- the rift should open just to one kind if elemental plane. And then just these kind elementals should come out.

- Then the rift should emitte the element around. The elementals should be immun to their element so they didn't get bother with it.
Fire: It should emite wave of heats, but temperature is outside pointless, i would say it should periodic ignite anything on fire. With increasing range.
Water/ice: like the poison ship, it would ice the ground around and destroy the plants at this way.
Wind/Lighting: Lighting cloud or storm
Earth: chunks and slag apear around it.

- Currently the corpses of elemental's are pretty useless, just the rift got goodies.
So i think when you butcher an elemental, you got some unrefined magictye.
Nice idea's, Canute.
I get the impression the elemental rift event isn't very popular, so maybe this will spice it up some.
I definitely like the idea of elementals providing better material and will look at adding that in the next update.
I like the idea of how it was implemented, but it could certainly benefit from some improvements.

During my playthrough where I was going Medieval (w/ Medieval Times), it was quite fun. To add to what Canute suggested: why not add some kind of notification for when the rift is about to launch another wave?

A few more ideas I have for it:
1: The rift changes color to whatever type of elemental it is about to send out. (Red for fire, green for Earth, etc)
2: The rift will actively defend itself from any nearby attacks. A longer range attack for long range enemies, and a all around AOE attack for closer enemies.
3: Rift gives a boost to nearby elementals that it has spawned. These elementals just cane from their home. Their home would most likely be easier for them to live in than on X rimworld or Y rimworld. And that rift would most likely leak something from their home. So why wouldn't it have a chance to empower them?
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.