[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Quote from: rawrfisher on September 15, 2018, 09:38:31 AM
I was posting this for a different reason then the sentinal thing.  Thats just a minor nusence but yes they attack it both inside and outside the cell.  I do use prison labor so that might be the issue.

As for that log.  Could just be coincidence but all mentioned charactors are orassin mages
There's a known incompatibility with Alien Races Framework and this mod which affects every race that uses the framework.  I'm trying to work through it but different mods use different versions of Harmony and I'm kind of stuck since Jecstools uses 1.1 or below while alien races uses 1.2.  I can't update to 1.2 because that breaks compatibility with Jecstools.  Hopefully we'll have this resolved soon.

The sentinel bug is indeed caused by prison labor (fix is in the works).

Quote from: Gungnier on September 15, 2018, 01:10:46 PM
After this its a long analizing about the classes etc...
Great feedback!
The next patch will have a few tweaks to psionic which should make the class a little easier to use.
I really like the idea about the bard song being able to also give inspirations - bard is a very niche class and almost completely passive and haven't gotten much feedback for them.
I think a bow would be a great addition for a magical weapon!
I'll be boosting earthern hammer a bit, particularly early on, to make it a more worthwhile spell.

I'll also take another look at magicyte costs and research costs for enchanted equipment.  I've already made some tweaks to staff of the defender and staff of blazing power to make them more worthwhile to conduct the research and craft the weapon, considering players will likely only craft 1 or 2 of these weapon types.

rawrfisher

Have you looked at necromancers?
I use that class all the time to supplement my caravans and while the zombies are bad shots they definitely are good meat sheilds :P

I just noticed that the undead sometimes get diseases XD
Added a screenshot to show what I mean

Exception ticking Fuller (at (0, 0, 3)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at TorannMagic.Need_Mana.GainNeed (single) <0x0017c>
at TorannMagic.Need_Mana.NeedInterval () <0x00034>
at RimWorld.Pawn_NeedsTracker.NeedsTrackerTick () <0x0006c>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Pawn.Tick_Patch1 (object) <0x00329>
at Verse.TickList.Tick () <0x00487>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Referenced pawn is a wildman

[attachment deleted due to age]
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

henk

Well, since it's feedback time...

Magicyte from mining needs to be lowered. You can easily get a thousand from making a mountain base, and it's hard to even get a hundred of it otherwise; it makes mountain bases too strong for magic colonies.

Wand of lightning is by far the best of the base wands, since it's guaranteed to hit. Ice and fire might need a buff.

You can probably remove fingers and toes from the regrowth spell. It might be slightly annoying to regrow a hand for one finger, but it would cut the size of the medical operation tab in half.

A magic bow for rangers would be great. More magic items that don't cause penalties would also be useful, the description of some of these items is scary.

Magic camps give way too much reward compared to regular bandit camps - 10,000 silver worth of rewards, compared to about 2,000 silver for regular camps, with not much more danger. Also, the reward list will be cut short if there's more than 3 items, so it SOUNDS like a reasonable reward until you look at it on the world map.

rawrfisher

@henk
Depends on your stage in the game
I often have camps of 30+ enemies lol
Professional jerk

kullm82

Anyone can give me an idea how I can use Regrow Limb from Druid? I have tried so hard but..

rawrfisher

have the druid perform the operation.

I recall seeing it in the class description
Professional jerk

Torann

Quote from: henk on September 16, 2018, 10:59:50 AM
Well, since it's feedback time...
Lol.

The magicyte balancing has been a challenge, lots of people say they don't get enough.  I've done some more number crunching and decided to make some small adjustments - all items will now have a raw magicyte cost instead of enchanting gem components, this will help increase the attractiveness and transparency of the actual cost of arcane gear (it also ends up reducing the overall magicyte cost and time required to craft arcane gear).
Magicyte drop amount was reduced by ~17%, but this was offset by all enchanting gem recipes had their magicyte costs reduced ~20%.  Books/Scrolls remained the same.  This should help increase the value of performing trades for magicyte and gems and the value in getting these objects via means other than crafting.

It's never going to be perfect, but that's why the options in the mod settings is there.

Agree with removal of fingers/toes from regrowth surgeries.
I'll tweak the wands a bit, you're not the only one saying the lightning wand is the best.
Magic bow (which I've gleefully called the "Thrum Bow") is already added and will be in the patch later today.
I've been meaning to fix the arcane camp rewards for some time, also will be adjusted/fixed and included in the next update.

Quote from: kullm82 on September 16, 2018, 01:49:16 PM
Anyone can give me an idea how I can use Regrow Limb from Druid? I have tried so hard but..
There are several explanations in game but if you can tell us what part you're having trouble with, that'd help us fill in the missing components.

Quote from: rawrfisher on September 15, 2018, 03:46:27 PM
Have you looked at necromancers?
I looked, didn't like what I saw, deleted necromancer from mod.
OK, jk (maybe).
I did fix the undead/lich being able to get diseases though.

henk

I've had trouble with regrow limbs in the latest patch - it just stopped showing up in the surgery list. I created more seeds, checked other pawns, but nothing worked. Eventually I let all my seeds rot, then made a new one and regrow worked again. Not sure what it was about.

I think magicytes should get a basic source that isn't mining or trading, so that mining and trading can become bonuses, rather than primary sources of magicyte. While adding magicyte plants or animals would probably not be ideal, I'm sure there can be other options for slowly acquiring magicytes. Maybe a ritual that requires time and mana?

Torann

Update v2.2.4.2

Bug Fixes:

• Humanoid Alien Races incompatibility has been fixed (big thanks to Erdelf, WIT, and Brrainz for their help resolving this conflict)
  • Energy Gizmo now displays the correct amount of mana/stamina/energy
  • The Psionic no longer uses augmented mind attack on prisoners
  • Summoned creatures are will no longer be considered for various tasks by lord toils during AI sieges
  • Minion "has fled" messages won't happen if the minion fleeing doesn't belong to the player
  • Reflection abilities work again (includes staff of blazing power and Faceless skill "Reflection"), in addition, the reflection will no longer stop the movement or current job of the pawn.
  • AI Magic/Might Tabs are no longer visible to the player
  • Possessed pawns will retain their assigned work priorities when released from possession
  • Undead are no longer considered as candidates for diseases caused by storyteller incidents
  • Bard Regrowth of the Stomach is now correctly labeled (was labeled as "liver")
  • Arcane Camp Quest will generate its rewards (value of rewards) based on colony strength; all rewards will now be seen in the letter sent to the player, and will no longer generate an error if the reward count is below 3 items
  • Beguile Animal II shows the correct UI icon
  • Pets are excluded from being made manhunter during an Earth elemental rift event

Tweaks:

• Psionic Augmentation combat abilities will now split their costs between stamina and psionic energy
  • Psionic Barrier skill "Energy Symbiosis" is twice as effective
  • The psionic was always intended to 'prefer' unarmed combat - with this in mind, the Augmented Mind skill will be more effective depending on the weight of weapon equipped (lighter is better) and will be most effective when unarmed.
  • Staff of Blazing power has a higher chance to reflect projectiles; Staff of the Defender has also been given a small chance to reflect projectiles.
  • Succubus "Attraction" duration was reduced by 33%
  • Magic related research costs have been reduced significantly for most topics
  • Resurrection takes approximately 15s longer, the duration is split between casting and effect
  • Magicyte costs have been reduced ~17%;  magicyte drop amounts have been reduced by ~20%
  • All apparel/weapons/equipment magicyte costs have been reduced to "Raw Magicyte" to streamline the arcane item crafting process
  • The Bard "Battle Hymn" will last until fully decayed and decay slower
  • All Regrowth's now use part efficiencies instead of pawn capacities - this will reduce the overall impact a regrown limb has on the pawn both during the regrowth stage, and at the wild stage
  • Wands have been slightly tweaked to make the lightning wand more comparable to the fire and ice wands

Compatibility patches:

• Children, school and learning: offspring that have parents that are fighters or mages (or one of each) will inherit only the talent (precursor trait) to become a mage OR a fighter.  If the offspring inherits both, it will randomly choose only one.
  • RimQuest: Arcane Camp and Arcane Caravan are now included in the list of quests a quest giver can have; different factions will have higher or lower priorities for each type of quest
  • Prison Labor: Sentinels won't activate on prisoners performing labor; however, they also won't attempt to stop a prisoner from escaping

New Features:

• Mages/fighters will automatically gain a mentoring/training skill when they reach level 20; this skill allows them to teach another pawn (of the same class arch-type), granting a minor xp gain to the teaching pawn and a large xp gain to the student pawn
  • New Weapon: the Thrum Bow - high tier ranged weapon that competes with spacer technology in deadliness, and includes crafting tier enchantments
  • Bard ability "Battle Hymn" now has an added chance to cause (combat effective) inspirations

rawrfisher

You ever gonna put this on steam?
Professional jerk

rawrfisher

Then I really suck at using the steam workshop huh
Professional jerk

TheJinx

Yeah lol I read your message and was a bit confused

Canute

About magicyte,
currently it is a natural resources that can get as bypass product from mining.

But what's about to change it into a craftable one.
Any magic user above a special skill level can focus his magic into a stoneblock and is geting magicyte as result (magic skill or stonecutting).

Gungnier

The magicyte amount probably gonna be always not enough ot too much based on personal playstyle. Rimworld can be played with a lot of different aproaches. I personally tend to be really patient and control my wealth tightly ( really loving the new gifting system as a good way of getting rid excess wealth), and choose high quality pawns especially when playing with this mod.This means that i usually tend to have team of 80% mages or fighters which means i want to gear them up with robes/wands and craft multiple spells. Basicaly thats for a mage: 0.5 ultimate (i tend to get about every 2nd ultimate) 3 basic spells (gear mending,mana shield,emp) a robe and hat and 0.5 wand (half gunners). And for a fighter: gear repair,marine armor,plasteel spear,shield belt  and if its possible money bought thrumbo axe.

But this style of playing is probably not the usual for most people but i like it.

With the above mentioned playstyle it can get frustrating when you stuck on 4-5 pawns for several years. But if you manage to train up like 7-8 mages with a strong 3-4 fighter frontline the lategame fights become really epic. On one of my most memorable fights with this mod i managed to beat a total of 70+ raidsize with only 11 people (2 raid arriving at the same time and one meanwhile the fight still goes on with randy extreme). One frontline was held only with my summoner trio and the other side was bombarded with all the others meanwhile the latecomers was cleaned up by an arcane mage teleporting out and bringing my lightning mage with double AOE in a chokepoint on the map.

Because of my tactics i really like the new mentoring/training system cuz it lets my newer pawns catch up faster. Originally i was thinking about mentioning something liek this but my idea was getting neurotrainers on traders which give experience.

The AI Magic/Might Tab on the enemies was kinda OP it saved me a lot of times knowing which spells they have. Maybe it could be reimplemented in a new mage spell / class spell as an "inspection" kinda ability.

I just started a new run on an Ice sheet - Rich explorer game with a psionic starting pawn, i'm really looking forward to the new changes.

Quote from: Torann on September 15, 2018, 02:51:57 PM
Great feedback!
By the way i have a lot of new class type ideas but that would be a "too long" forum post again if you have ideas fleshed out just working on implementing i will keep them for later but if you are interested i dont mind writing a small novel again :)