[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Quote from: HSneak on November 11, 2018, 07:24:03 PM
Hey, I found the culprit (about the non-casting target spells), it's "Rimmu-Nation - Weapons (1.0)", as soon as I removed it, I could cast ShadowBolt with no problem (loaded a save file), so I thought you'd want to know;
Thanks for tracking that down HSneak.  I talked to CP and he's working on a fix.

Quote from: NeoSono on November 12, 2018, 12:29:15 AM
I got a question, is it intended that pawns incapable of violence can learn violent mage classes through the ??? arcane script? I thought I would be clever and buy one of these and make my pawn a priest but she became an ice mage.
The book of question isn't picky and randomizes between every enabled mage class, it's the risk of using that book.  If you take a non-violent pawn with magically gifted and have them read the book for fire mage (as an example) - they'll do it and become a fire mage.  Nothing prevents this.  You can not use violent spells, but that doesn't mean the mage is useless.  I've tried to give every mage at least one ability that's non-violent, and there's always the slew of stand-alone spells, most which are non-violent.

Torann

v2.2.8.0 Magic Development: Update #1

Magic development updates will focus on adding new methods to develop and improve the colony through magical means.

• New work type: Magic - mages selected for this work type will automatically perform various magic related tasks such as charging a portal or crafting at an arcane workbench; work type can be toggled under work settings
  • New research: Arcane Storage - allows construction of the Arcane Capacitor and Dimensional Mana Pocket
  • New research: Arcane cultivation - allows growing and creation of Pomanasyrrium, a fruit that enhances arcane senses
  • New structure: Arcane Capacitor - allows mages to transfer mana into the arcane capacitor and absorb it at a later time
  • New structure: Dimensional Mana Pocket - similar to the arcane capacitor but has significantly more storage capacity and discharge range but redistributes mana at a slower rate
  • New plant: Pomanasyrrium bush - produces fruit typically consumed as a delicacy, pomanasyrrium has unique properties that enhance a mages access to mana.  This chemical is called Syrrium and can be extracted from raw pomanasyrrium to concentrate the effects.

• Tweaks:
    Undead will not auto-undraft
    Arcane apparel (all pieces) will inherit defense and insulation properties of the material used in creation; any magic apparel with specific material requirements were replaced with stuff categories
    Added options to the mod settings to disable appearance changes for undead animals and pawns
    Added an option to toggle mage and fighter level up messages
    Added a gizmo for the technomancer to toggle the repair function

• Bug fixes:
    Maps will no longer close when using the succubus ability 'Scorn' and the succubus is the only player owned pawn on the map
    Fixed a bug with autocast phase strike and blink that was selecting the incorrect target during haul/load jobs
    Wildman pawns will not generate errors if they are a mage or fighter
    Rangers cannot bond animals that belong to another faction and will dismiss a bonded animal that is a member of a caravan if they choose to form another bond
    Necromancer ability 'Consume Corpse' will not generate errors if a vampire (or pawn type lacking certain needs) uses the ability

TheJinx

Huh I spawned in a Wildman once and it get throwing up errors guess I know what it is now thanks ;)

wrathofdog

Quote from: Torann on November 12, 2018, 07:17:03 PM
Tweaks:
Undead will not auto-undraft

And now their watch begins...

Jan2607

This sounds like a really good update :)
Will the mana storage redistribute the mana through walls? When I want to build one, it shows the max range only in open fields.

rekasa

What crafting station do you extract Syrrium from? I didn't see it in the drug lab...

Torann

Quote from: rekasa on November 16, 2018, 03:47:01 PM
What crafting station do you extract Syrrium from? I didn't see it in the drug lab...
Syrrium can be extracted from either of the cooking tables, the campfire, or even the summoned fire.

Torann

v2.2.9.0 Magic Development: update #2

• New Research: Arcane Forge - forge items with a combination of technology and raw arcane power
  • New Research: Forge Replication - enhance the arcane forge with a technique that allows it to replicate the design of almost any craftable item
  • New Structure: Arcane Forge - a powerful crafting table that dramatically accelerates crafting speeds and can apply these bonuses to any design it replicates; the forge can only be used by mages and consumes mana during the crafting process
  • New Plant: Paracyte thornbush - a delicate plant known for its keen beauty - its slow to grow but able to produce small quantities of magicyte; can also grow without light but at a slower rate
  • New Material: Manaweave - cloth infused with magicyte and arcane runes that enhances the magical enchantments of any apparel made from manaweave

• Tweaks:
    Psychic shock is less likely to deal lethal brain damage; implemented several tweaks to improve its performance
    Sentinels will only evaluate prisoners as threats if the prisoner is performing hostile actions

• Bug fixes:
    Druids can now write their Arcane Tome correctly
    Fixed a bug with Overdrive that was generated when turrets had a null map (eg when mounted on a mechanoid)
    Fixed several bugs with resurrection that could occur if the corpse moved, was being carried, or was destroyed or if the game was saved and loaded during the resurrection process
    Fixed a bug with the mana drain incident if the player was present on 2 or more maps

Canute

What does the people think about these idea:
The magic  society is growing and growing, many non electrical solutions for the daily use are out there.
Even when the raiders use sometimes some magic skill, the danger is low compared to the clever use of magic from the player side.
So i want suggest another drawside.
Maybe some people know the weakness about metal/iron vs. magic or technology vs magic some novell's offer.
I want to take the technology vs. magic weakness.
A magic/physical user should be unable to operate electical powered tables.
They should either increase the power need of that table they want to use depend on their level.
Or they should get damage when they use that table, depend on their level (lightning mage is maybe immun).
That should include recreation objects like TV or other furnitures like lamps (they turn off).

I know such a weakness would be hard to implement, special when other mods add more things.

TheJinx

Been pretty quite lately been holding my breath in anticipation for the D E A T H  K N I G H T.     Hmm an increased power usage seems cool but I think things like that should maybe be events that happen from having mages on the map since there are already drawbacks and strengths for being a mage(Physical users having an effect on technological things doesn't really make sense unless it was a psionic)

TheJinx

Your idea might also work if maybe it worked in conjunction with mana weakness4 where the bigger and more powerful spells and rapid usage of spells causes that to happen.(I don't really like the idea of that happening seems more in line with like a harry potter mod or something along the lines up that there aren't a lot of technological movies with magic/fantasy in them unless it's in literrature. If torann does decide to though those are probably some things he could possibly do)

Torann

Balance comes in many forms; for every action their is an equal and opposite reaction right... typically we've seen mages suffer from some physical setbacks after heavy magic use and reduced absorption of mana, but nothing on a wider scale.

If you consider mana a finite resource, in that an area can be 'drained' of mana, making something of a mana/magic deficit in the area... with magic being used more frequently for even common tasks, who knows what kind of 'equal and opposite' effect that will have?  With more colony sized methods of expending mana appearing, I feel certain we'll start seeing side effects that could take the form of magical beasts, environment conditions, new dangers drawn to magic, even limitations to accessing mana itself.

GreatBigFailure

The way I've been balancing my playthroughs is by not building any defenses beyond walls and installing a bunch of stuff like Dire Raids, mechanoid mods, glittertech, etc. I play fast and loose with what I'm "allowed" to use from them but generally speaking I don't let my colonists use things from glittertech. Basically I equip raiders way better than my 20 man squad of archmages. Works pretty well, ends up playing slightly like Baldur's Gate in combat.

TheJinx

lmao I just play on dev half the time or either start with some op god and go from there

qinlongfei

Not sure if you still take any ideas or if anyone already given these ideas out, but I thought up some more 'classes' that would hopefully spice the variety up especially towards neolithic. Not sure if these are feasible to implement into the game since I know almost nothing about coding.

A thief class that's more towards buffing the character's movement speed and disarm/distract the enemy or let the thief make a quick get away like smoke bomb.

A beast master class as a more melee druid/ranger like class for the neolithic role playing. The first skill could be a tech tree select similar to technomancer that'll determine a beast master's specialization, maybe a bear that's more about buffing health/resistance to be more tanky, a wolf class for speed, and a tiger for offense. The other abilities can be active skills that'll tame/buff animal companion based on which beast path taken.

An archer class that's similar to sniper for (once again) neolithic which require the character to use bow, but focuses on speed up fire rate and hit multiple opponent rather than high damage against single target. I don't know much about western pop fiction, but Chinese pop fiction often feature legendary archers who are so good with their skill they can fire multiple arrows all at once and have them all hit bullseye. And the ultimate skill can be an AOE attack that's called 'star shower' or something. Well... I actually want to suggest a skill called 'cloud piercer' as the ultimate that'll hit multiple enemies in a straight line (that's an actual skill in Chinese pop fiction) but I don't think it's possible to code.

A witch doctor who can lie down totem (turret that slowly have its health drained till it is destroyed) that'll either debuff enemy, buff/heal friendlies in the area, or act as short time turret. And witch doctor doesn't lose the ability to do violence action unlike priest but they can't resurrect. Maybe their ultimate skill can be a totem that'll cause fear in an area similar to Mal'Damba from Paladins.

A hacker/decker for high tech character similar to technomancer that's focused being anti-turret/mechanoid. Skills can be something that'll shut down a mechanic, deal guaranteed massive damage by overloading them, and the ultimate ability can take control of a turret/mechanoid for a short time from long distance. Or maybe an ultimate skill that'll basically be a Titan Fall where the hacker summons a mecha from the orbit. Maybe could even have something like a Rigger that's like a necromancer for mechanicals.

Just some of my (extremely undercooked) ideas.

Also, sorry about the probably silly question. But can I update the mod mid-save or do I have to start a new colony?