[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Ahh ok i remember , but didn't played the latest with these Orb's yet so i didn't recognize.

Arkaile

After toying around with blood mages a bit, it seems like they have some difficulty generating blood magic power (bmp) when a colonist has too many prosthetic limbs because they don't bleed. I find that in the late-game there is no reason not to start outfitting all of the colonists with bionics, and blood magic is not powerful enough to justify keeping all of a colonist's original limbs. I've had blood mages cutting their bionic arms and only getting about 10-15 bmp, depending on how much I've upgraded Blood Sacrifice. However, blood magic should not be made stronger as that would only imbalance it; it's strong enough as is. While it is possible to build up bmp more efficiently by upgrading Blood Sacrifice to collect blood from the ground, by the time enemy/allied pawns have bled that much, the battle is already over. I'm not all that savvy with coding, so this may be a bit outlandish to suggest, but could it be possible to add a check to make sure Blood Sacrifice applies cuts to body parts which are not prosthetic?

Blood Sacrifice could also be made into something of a dual ability, similar to Enchanted Body/Aura on Enchanters. Whereas the original ability could remain as it is, targeting the user, the alternate ability could use 50% more mana but be ranged, cutting and collecting blood from a targeted enemy and, once upgraded, collect fresh blood from around the target.

Another way to remedy this could be to have the blood drained by Blood for Blood grant bmp to the user per pulse, possibly through an upgrade, and scaling up depending on how much the target is bleeding.

Just spitballing here, though, as one of those crazy people who plays a colony for 20-40 in-game years. It's an amazing mod with only a few weak points such as this; amazing work so far.

Canute

So you suggest that bionic arms/hands should have buildin outlets so the bloodmage can tap blood out of it ? :-)
But do you realy think a blood mage first choise would be bionics ? Since you notice the bionic don't bleed, they whole pawn will have less blood in his body availble anyway, so a regular sacrifice will weaken him more then before.

Instead that you install bionic on a blood mage, you should ask a druid if he know a different solution.

Elvislives

What's with the brain destroying adn explosion when mage enemy pawns are downed?  Punching? Kaboom! I use damage to down with dev mode? Kaboom!  Damage legs with dev mode?  Kaboom! Sniper crippling shot?  Downed her, but she was back up in 5 secs.  Can I only capture 'magically gifted' pawns without explosion if they are not actually mages yet?  Or is it a pawn number cap?  I do have a ton of mages.  A full circle of 13 to be exact (I don't count Paladins as mages).  That beautiful lightning mage belongs in my magical enclave, but short of using dev mode and recruiting her on the spot, she explodes.   

Also, any good magical spells to capture?  I only do medieval run throughs with magic so no stun tech mods. 

Canute

This got added to made mages more dangerous.
The AI use spells much less effectiv then you, so mage explode when they die.
Downed mage shouldn't explode.
But if you don't like this you can disable it at the mod options.

And about capturing pawns, some fighter or mages got very useful skill/spells for that you just need to discover them. And sometimes a lower level skill work's better for capturing then a higher one who kills them.

Gungnier

Quote from: Canute on April 26, 2019, 04:06:48 PM

And about capturing pawns, some fighter or mages got very useful skill/spells for that you just need to discover them. And sometimes a lower level skill work's better for capturing then a higher one who kills them.

The mod has some spells useful for capturing:

Fire mage: Fireball can give terror debuff and burns are painful but not that deadly so its decent to down people with it.
Arcane mage: With summon you can move out the desired hostile pawn and just melee it down.
Druid: Poison its nice early just dont put too many points into it or it will kill instead downing
Sniper: Disabling shot pretty much designed to down pawns
Bard: Sleep same as disabling shot but AOE
Bladedancer: Not the best but seismic slash tends to cause a lot of bleeding but not kill altho not recommended
Necromancer: Fog of torment is probably one of the best AOE to down entire groups just make sure there is someone to capture them in the fog and there is others to deal with the ones getting up
Succubus/warlock:Dominate same as the necromancer but even more easy to use
Priest: Resurrect the best capture tool just kill them and resurrect after the combat at the point you have this you can just cherrypick from all the corpses.

But there is some classes which awful for capture:
Lightning mage: it can down people with lightning like a charm but high chance for permanent brain damage.
Ranger: Tend to oneshot pawns especially lategame
Psionic: most of the abilities does too random damage to be reliable.
Technomancer: Has some explosives or random procs which kill randomly and also kills downed around.

Canute

My favoured:
Gladiator, Grappling Hook with higher level he will legswipe the target and when you are fast enough you can grab him to capture.
Grappling Hook is great to wake up pawn's in a mental state too.

Ledaren

Is there any way to make permanent Enchanter's Stone accessories? I can alter/make def if is not available on the base mod

But because I'm lazy on learning C#, I want to request some compatibility patch if for RPG style Inventory :p. The cloak (like Wanderer's Cloak and Mage's Robe) and maybe pendant are not showing up

Torann

Quote from: Ledaren on April 29, 2019, 01:40:52 AM
Is there any way to make permanent Enchanter's Stone accessories? I can alter/make def if is not available on the base mod

But because I'm lazy on learning C#, I want to request some compatibility patch if for RPG style Inventory :p. The cloak (like Wanderer's Cloak and Mage's Robe) and maybe pendant are not showing up
Possible, sure, but not really a good idea. Cloaks and Artifacts use custom Apparel layers so that they can be worn on top of other armor types so you can wear a cloak or pendant without taking the same slot as your armor or clothes. It's also there for balancing purposes so that you can't 'wear' every artifact at once.

The RPG sytle inventory mod doesn't account for custom apparel layers (that I can see); perhaps when I get some time I can make a patch for it.

Gungnier

The rangers poison traps tend to kill my Granite Sentinels, i dont know if it supposed to happen. Altho i find it strange to have an animated stone statue poisoned.

bugboy1014

So i have a bug report to post. when using the engineer weapon ability on a legendary OC Defense Rifle (from the glittertech mod) my colony got, my colonist seemingly locked up, unable to do anything or even cancel the ability. I found this strange and decided to investigate the debug log, and when I did, I found 2 red errors being spammed repeatedly into my log infinitely, until the log reached it's message limit. if i cleared the log though it would continue spamming these two errors. i'm not sure which end this is on, so i'm posting it here. Though strangely enough i wanted to note, this worked fine for up to 9 of my techromancers, as in i used engineer weapon from 9 of them and it worked fine, it's just the 10th one and on that caused this error. so here you go.

Failed to find Verse.ThingDef named TM_TechnoWeapon_Base10. There are 4611 defs of this type loaded.
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DefDatabase`1:GetNamed(String, Boolean)
Verse.ThingDef:Named(String)
TorannMagic.TM_Action:DoAction_TechnoWeaponCopy(Pawn, Thing)
TorannMagic.Verb_TechnoWeapon:TryCastShot()
Verse.Verb:TryCastNextBurstShot_Patch0(Object)
AbilityUser.Verb_UseAbility:WarmupComplete()
Verse.Stance_Warmup:Expire()
Verse.Stance_Busy:StanceTick()
Verse.Stance_Warmup:StanceTick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Pawn_StanceTracker:StanceTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick_Patch3(Object)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate_Patch2(Object)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

and now the second error

Exception ticking Gemini (at (212, 0, 265)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at TorannMagic.TM_Action.DoAction_TechnoWeaponCopy (Verse.Pawn,Verse.Thing) <0x00829>
at TorannMagic.Verb_TechnoWeapon.TryCastShot () <0x000c9>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Verb.TryCastNextBurstShot_Patch0 (object) <0x0006c>
at AbilityUser.Verb_UseAbility.WarmupComplete () <0x00092>
at Verse.Stance_Warmup.Expire () <0x00022>
at Verse.Stance_Busy.StanceTick () <0x0002b>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Stance_Warmup.StanceTick_Patch1 (object) <0x003bb>
at Verse.Pawn_StanceTracker.StanceTrackerTick () <0x0005d>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Pawn.Tick_Patch3 (object) <0x001aa>
at Verse.TickList.Tick () <0x00487>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate_Patch2(Object)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Adil

Quote from: Canute on April 26, 2019, 04:06:48 PM
How do you do that? Nothing in the options mentions the death on down. And few ticks I've ticked didn't seem to have effect on that.

Adil

To answer my own question: mages (not fighters) have hardcoded 40% chance to go boom on being downed.
Then there's also the undocumented "hard mode" setting. One thing it does, is setting enemy spell effect modifiers to 4 regardless of the mage levels and training. It seems that highest normally achievable value is 3.5. Spells which power cannot be expressed by a single modifier, undergo equivalent transformations.
And secondly, the hardmode sets death chance of the downed mages to 100%. 

If you tick this setting off, you might not notice the change at first, because they still have 40% chance of sudden death.

Canute

Glad you found it out self, i was to lazy to activate the mod myself ! :-)

henk

QuoteSevere levels of Arcane Weakness and Mana Sickness will cause the affected pawn to seek bed rest

Does that mean bed rest reduce arcane weakness faster, or are they just resting because they're not very useful when arcane weakened?