tweaking stuff

Started by AlyfoxLP, November 26, 2017, 12:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlyfoxLP

If I wanted to go into a mod and tweak things for my own personal use, how would I go about doing that? More specifically, where would I even find the mod files? Are they all under rimworld/mods/core/defs/(whichever)? I poked around a little in there and couldnt find what I was looking for

jamaicancastle

That is indeed the directory where all the core XML is. The internal structure can be a little confusing at times, though. What are you looking for? Maybe we can help find it.

Fair warning - some things are hardcoded and can't be modded without C#, even if it feels like they "ought" to be XML-able.

Albion

Since you're actually looking for the mods I'm guessing you're using steam and therefore the steam workshop. In this case you'll find the mods in the following directory (for Win 7):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100

Just click on any of the numbered folders and check in the About folder which mod it actually is. Unfortunately steam doesn't name any mods.

If you installed the mods manually you should technically already know that you'll find the mods in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods or wherever you installed Rimworld so: ...\RimWorld\Mods

The "Core" Mod is basically the entire game itself. You can mod these too but it is advised to not do so and maybe write your own mod to do it.

Also on important note: If you are moddifing steam workshop mods I would advise you to first copy them into the RimworldMods folder. The reason ist that if the author of the mod you're editing updates his mod the new version will automatically get downloaded by steam and all changes you have made will be lost.

AlyfoxLP

Thanks both of you.. Albion provided the information I was looking for! That tip at the end I will keep in mind, though.