Can you make apparel out of a subgroup of leathery?

Started by o-o-o, November 27, 2017, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o-o-o

I would like to make a faction that uses only domesticated animals for its leather products - think cowskin, pigskin, and goat hide clothing items.  No more cassoway, boomrat or yorkshire terrier leather jackets for these sophisticated urbanites.  Apparel items in Apparel_various.xml can call out <stuffcategories> like fabric and leathery, but I can not find where those categories are defined.  There is a <leatherLabel> category in Races_Animal_Farm.xml, but again, I can not find where this label gets used.

Does anyone know how to restrict apparel items to only certain leather types?

Nightinggale

It doesn't look like you can tell leather apart like that. However that's not the same as it looks impossible.

<ThingCategoryDef>
        <defName>Leathers</defName>
        <label>leathers</label>
        <parent>Textiles</parent>
        <iconPath>UI/Icons/ThingCategories/Leathers</iconPath>
      </ThingCategoryDef>

You need to add domestic leather with Leathers as parent.

For cloth, you need to restrict to just domestic leather.

For butchering, you need to remove leather from the animals in question and then add the new leather types as butcherProducts. Vanilla has this as a fixed value, which is bad. I wrote a DLL for BoneMod where bones can be obtained from butchering and it's scaled for body size and missing body parts. While it's currently hardcoded to bones in the DLL, I have a plan for a standalone version where new butcherProducts can be added to any mod using xml only. It's sort of working, but it needs to be cleaned up and stuff before it's released. Now that I know there is a demand for it, I will give it a higher priority on the todo list.

You might have to create a thing for each new leather for this to work. I'm not sure about that part.

Oh and I like the idea of having groups of leather  :)
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

o-o-o

Thanks for the response.  Still trying to categorize my mod design goals into easy, hard, and impossible buckets.  Will put this in the hard category. 

I am currently working only with xml modification.  Just started getting results using xpath.  So a standalone tool allowing for the inclusion of replacement butcherProducts sounds interesting, as actual coding is out of my current skill set.