[B18] Tamed animals tried to follow master outside of the map

Started by jchavezriva, November 30, 2017, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchavezriva

I sent a pawn that works as master of 4 rhinoceros on a transport pod to rescue an ambushed caravan. Later i noticed the rhinoceros under her command began moving toward the edge of the map, like if they wanted to follow their drafted master.

Most weird part is that once the enemies fled and the caravan moved again, the animals kept moving toward the edge of the map. When the master arrived to the colony, they kept moving toward the same place (took that long cause im playing on ludicrous).

The rhinoceros stopped when they arrived to the edge, and then came back to their assigned zone.

Giselbaer

I have a similar problem. Sent a colonist to a refugee map, found some steel there, decided to leave the colonist for a while to mine. His dog had been staying with the colony, and tried to "follow" him - poor doggie always stayed close to the coordinates where the colonist was, on the different map, ignoring its assigned zone.

As I'm playing on ludicrous, the colony map is a lot larger than the refugee map. With coordinates (probably) starting at the bottom left corner, the dog stayed in the bottom left corner of the colony map as well.

After a while, doggie started starving. Setting its restricted zone to "animals force barn", the zone where my animals are supposed to find food, didn't help.

Until I un-ticked the "animal follow colonist when doing field work" checkmark. After unticking, doggie ran to the barn and finally ate again.

So, animals probably don't move to the corner to like if they wanted to follow their master; if the master is at coord 50/50, animals move to 50/50 as well, but if the colony map is a lot larger than the map the master is on, those coordinates seem to be close to the edge. Master coords probably don't reset when the master enters the reformed caravan, so animals still try to move there.

As a workaround, unset the "animal follows master" option in the animals tab while the master is away.

jchavezriva

YES, also had them chasing the bottom left corner as well. They didnt stay there probably because their master was already back when they arrived.
This means this problem is worse than i thought, and even i was forgetting about it since it was dying ignored in the forum.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ramsis

Hi Giselbaer and jchaverzriva, I'm trying to reproduce the bug but not having much luck at the moment.

I started off trying to recreate the exact scenario you mentioned jchavezriva with the four rhinos mastered to a colonist, that colonist being sent to aid a caravan, handled the ambush, and followed your steps as best as I could but didn't have any luck getting the animals to act out of their normal behavior.

Giselbaer I also tried my best to recreate your scenario by sending out a colonist to a different map for mining and a bit of general labor but I could not see any strange behavior from that colonist's dog.

While it might be too late if either of you possibly still have the save files with this bug occurring and could post them in this thread so I may look over them that would be wonderful! Thank you. :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

jchavezriva

Did you make sure the "follow master while drafted" option was active?

I do have a save, but im not even sure if it will reproduce anymore, this happened in January...
You still want it?

Kenneth

I've also tried reproducing this without success. They follow their master on field work when on the same map or when drafted, but not otherwise.

I've checked and couldn't find a previous fix that fixed this. I also checked the follow master code and could not see any code path that allows following off-map.
We could surely use a savegame that has this happening for investigation ;)