Better zone visibility for colourblind people

Started by Umpanz, November 01, 2019, 10:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umpanz

Hello there!

I'm a fellow (colourblind) RimWorld-Player since some years now and I just wanted to post this suggestion in mind of all colourblind RimWorld-Players.

As a colourblind player, RimWorld's zones are pretty hard to distinguish. I've read at multiple places (this forum, steam forums, Reddit, etc.) that pleanty other people have some problems seeing the zones, even if they're not colourblind.
Now imagine these zones being the same colour as the floor for you.
We're not even talking about being hard to see, we're talking about being impossible to see.
And it's geting a chore always having to recreate zones, just hoping you get this ONE colour that isn't invisible but "only nearly impossible to see", so you can at least guess where our zones were.

Also, i'm aware that changing the whole zone-colouring would be a chore to ask from a developer.

I think that a pretty good work-around would be to create a "colourblind" setting, in which the zone's colour saturation and opacity is much higher, so the zones will be easier to distinguish from the varying ground textures.
I'm pretty sure that would increase the game's accessablity and is fairly easy to achieve.

The zones aren't the only problem, there are also problems with the tribe colours e.g., but they're by far not a that big problem as the zone colours.

Of course, this suggestion is only an example. I'm not a game designer by any means and I've been only at the consmer point of view for all my life. So, if Tynan or anyone else has  easier ways to implement something to gain better visibility, just say it.

Thanks for reading my suggestion, many greetings and have a wonderful and splendid day!

- Umpanz

Edit: Grammar

Umpanz

A friend of mine sent me a link to a mod that should do the trick:

https://rimworldbase.com/recolor-stockpiles-growing-zones-mod/

A little sad I need to use mods for this, but as long as the workaround works, I'm happy.

Would still be great if that'd be possible out of the box with a Vanill RimWorld.

Pangaea

Would just like to pipe in that I am having problems with the icons for towns on the world map, and the graph colours in history tab. Sometimes I am able to see a slight difference between the good/bad factions, but it's really hard (for me), and I have to click on each town to see which faction they actually belong to, by seeing whether relations is at 0 or -20. This is important to me, because I like to be able to trade through the games, without travelling 7 days to the nearest faction that doesn't hate me.